resonator delete = quieter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
resonator delete = quieter?

I recently had my resonator deleted. well, right now everything is clamped in place while I decide whether I like it or not, so it's not welded yet. Cold starts are monstrous, when i rev it, it's louder than stock, and when i REALLY get on it it's louder than stock, but the other 95% of the time i'm feeling like it's actually quieter than stock.. It definitely gurgles and pops a lot more though which I kind of like.

Anyone else experience this?

Any ideas? When it's all welded in will it change? Is the car still adapting to it?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63C
I have mine done too. IMO I think it's louder at every point. Especially when you gun it... the sound is just perfect. not too loud, but very aggressive.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by N1ck
I have mine done too. IMO I think it's louder at every point. Especially when you gun it... the sound is just perfect. not too loud, but very aggressive.
Interesting. Maybe the sound'll change when it's welded in. Clamped it's not a 100% seal I'm assuming, maybe that's attributing to it a little bit.

Does the kind of pipe used matter? Stainless steel, steel, aluminum, etc..
Old 10-06-2012, 04:12 AM

2010 C63, 2007 X5
Originally Posted by drawde
Interesting. Maybe the sound'll change when it's welded in. Clamped it's not a 100% seal I'm assuming, maybe that's attributing to it a little bit.

Does the kind of pipe used matter? Stainless steel, steel, aluminum, etc..
Depend how it's clamped, it might be leaking. It's best to weld it and diffidently louder on all RPM ranges. Always use stainless steel, it will cost more, but best for the long term.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:48 AM

2011 C63 Calcite White
did you use straight pipe btw? It should be louder than stock in every way lol. Removing the resonators will no longer resonate the cabin, so inside cabin should be louder/deeper even at low rpm.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 AM
JCH

2009 C63
Originally Posted by drawde
I recently had my resonator deleted. well, right now everything is clamped in place while I decide whether I like it or not, so it's not welded yet. Cold starts are monstrous, when i rev it, it's louder than stock, and when i REALLY get on it it's louder than stock, but the other 95% of the time i'm feeling like it's actually quieter than stock.. It definitely gurgles and pops a lot more though which I kind of like.

Anyone else experience this?

Any ideas? When it's all welded in will it change? Is the car still adapting to it?
I agree with your description except the comment about being quieter than stock. The sound isn't going to change so if you like it go ahead and weld it in. Personally I love it especially considering it's such a cheap mod. I've received several compliments from others about how good it sounds especially on cold starts and downshifts.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
I don't like it. Makes the car sounds like a cheap honda. I did and then put it back
Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 PM

'13 Audi RS5
I did it and didn't like it because it eliminated the H pipe that's inside the resonator so the pulses from each bank don't equalize. I then added an X pipe in place of the secondary cats and now I love the sound. Much more refined now.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
I'm gonna call it and say the clamps aren't holding it properly. Actually after thinking about it it definitely sounds different now than the first day I got it. I wasn't sure if I was just getting used to it.

It has to be the clamps..
Old 10-06-2012, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
I've seen basically every res delete video for 63's on youtube so I know what it's supposed to sound like. It sounded right the first day, after that not any more. Also I noticed a small lack of power / hesitation when I try to get on it at speed. I know there is a low-end loss with the resonator delete but I was told it shouldn't be noticable, but I definitely notice it. Hopefully this backs up the leaking theory?

I'm going to get everything welded in monday so hopefully it everything works out, or I'll be back on tuesday getting the resonator put back on.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
You have a leak. I've got the same problem when I put back my resonator.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:35 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by peh-amg
I did it and didn't like it because it eliminated the H pipe that's inside the resonator so the pulses from each bank don't equalize. I then added an X pipe in place of the secondary cats and now I love the sound. Much more refined now.
When you added the x pipe did you leave the delete/straight pipes IN still? which x pipe did you go with? videos? i'm always so curious to hear all the different setups. love the sound of these cars, seems like x pipe and res delete is a good way to go for sound/volume. i don't think all these youtube videos are doing much justice for the sound either, i'm sure they sound even better in person.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 AM

'13 Audi RS5
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
When you added the x pipe did you leave the delete/straight pipes IN still? which x pipe did you go with? videos? i'm always so curious to hear all the different setups. love the sound of these cars, seems like x pipe and res delete is a good way to go for sound/volume. i don't think all these youtube videos are doing much justice for the sound either, i'm sure they sound even better in person.
I left the straight pipes in where the resonator used to be when I added the X pipe, which replaced the secondary cats. Videos do not do it justice. Cold start is loud but when the engine is warm the sound is very nice and refined. High RPM's sound great.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:06 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
cold start is what i'm worried would **** off my neighbors. that full agency power setup is sick for being able to quiet it down if you need to, but damn is it pricey. plus, why do all that when you can do a few cheap mods on the already great sounding stock exhaust and have a good outcome.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:32 PM

C63
weld it