C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

From an E63 to C63 Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'13 C63C
From an E63 to C63 Coupe

Funny how a test drive is all it takes... I can honestly say this is the first time I can ever remember visiting the W204 section of the forum, glad to find it very lively. Whether it's newcaritis or genuine desire, it's hard to say. I fell asleep to youtube clips of the exhaust note, so this may be a foregone conclusion, but I test drove a C63 sedan over the weekend at Park Place in Dallas, and it's got me thinking about moving out of the E. Was surprised by a few things, mostly the narrow width of the rear tires. 255s?? Are you guys seeing a lot of wheelspin off the line? I always had a tough time breaking traction in the E63. So, here are a few points / questions if you gurus wouldn't mind tossing in opinions.
  • I would be getting a tune and taking it to the drag strip quite a bit. Weistec seems to advertise one of the highest power output tunes for the M156. (Never got one for the E). I tried searching but may have missed a few dyno sheets...which tuner is getting the most out of these things?
  • Drag Radials - Would consider Mickey Thompsons but I see posts about bogging and actual slower times after installing DRs.
  • Headers - as much as I want them, some neighbors two miles away have kids and I'm afraid of making them deaf. Will keep the exhaust stock
  • Options - Not interested in the PP since i'll be tuning anyway. normal gizmos. Sport seats in Nappa are a MUST.

I guess this is more me talking it through than ask questions, LOL. Would still like to hear input from you guys. Likes, dislikes of your Coupe? Only thing I really don't like is the interior. It's still just a C Class, and hard unforgiving plastics, but once you give it some stick, that kind of fades away.

This most concerning part for me is build quality of the C Class. Probably all of us have driven the loaner car Cs that they have at dealerships. I've personally driven 5 different ones and each of them had wildly different creaks, rattles, vibrations and even engine noises. It was disturbing to find on cars not even a year old with fewer than 20,000 miles. Any concerns there?

Thanks, hopefully I can convince the spousal unit to let me place the order. Looks like 15k miles, 36 months yields about a $1050 lease payment on a decently equipped non-PP coupe with nothing down, taxes rolled in.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Hi there!

I personally have the sedan and not the coupe and Ive been in love since day one and i am now 3.5 months into ownership and am still smiling everytime I drive it.

As far as build quality, yeah, sometimes friends will ask well why doesn't it do this, or why don't your seats massage Ive seen that in other MB, and I have to answer, at the end of the day it is still a C class.

As far as build quality I have had no complaints though. No problems what so ever so far.

As far as options....I didn't have much choice in what I got since it was an "impulse" buy that had to happen in a week so a custom build or really searching for the right one was not an option for me. What I ended up with is a car that surprised me with how much it was exactly what I wanted without knowing it. My car is fully loaded with every option but the PP package and the LSD. I think I am getting a quaife LSD soon from weistec so that remedies that and all the extras on the PP I am not interested in so much because well my car is a daily driver and while the PP is nice, what it came down to for me is more expensive replacement parts (ie brakes) when they finally wore out.

Options I believe you NEED to have...Lighting Package, Keyless Go, and the Parking sensors (I was and still am an extremely cautious driver when parking and thought that anyone who needed these just needs to learn how to drive but they have come in amazingly handy and I abosolutely will always get them from now on) and lastly of course the multimedia package for the nav etc.

As far as wheelspin, again I use it as a daily driver and it still manages to let go sometimes when Im driving a little spiritedly off a stop light which is the opposite of what I want, the exhaust gets a cops attention quickly enough, add in wheelspin and youre asking for trouble :/

Anyway, to sum up....you're gonna love it.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series
The only thing I don't like about the coupe, is how people with myopia say it looks just like the accord coupe because of the rear quarter window. ><

I feel the build quality is pretty good, its like they know they are building a C63 vs when a C350 or 250 rolls of the line, because I have driven the rental C300 and thought what a piece...

but never have I felt that about my former 2009 C63 sedan, or my 2012 coupe.

anyways, no idea if its just my bias / love of my car that skews my opinion, or holds any ounce of truth.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 AM

SL63
Why would you want one of those pieces of junk? I hear they catch on fire and explode at random intervals. What you really want is a Smart.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM

'13 C63C
Thanks for all the replies, except the uninformed Porsche troll there at the end. After cruising the market, it appears I would need to order the car to my liking and would not take delivery until February. That seems like a very long time. I anticipate quite a spike in demand for the current engine platform once the 5.5L NA V8 is announced (currently only in the SLK55). It won't be as easily tapped for extra power, and that is, after all, why I want this car.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM

SL63
Old 10-11-2012, 05:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Originally Posted by fly2nite
Thanks for all the replies, except the uninformed Porsche troll there at the end. After cruising the market, it appears I would need to order the car to my liking and would not take delivery until February. That seems like a very long time. I anticipate quite a spike in demand for the current engine platform once the 5.5L NA V8 is announced (currently only in the SLK55). It won't be as easily tapped for extra power, and that is, after all, why I want this car.
G'Day from Oz.
"5.5L NA".....How do you know that?
Cheers, Pickles.