C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Inspection failed AGAIN after trying 4 times!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG 2009
Angry Inspection failed AGAIN after trying 4 times!!!

I posted about this issue 9 days ago and not getting any where. The car has 20Kmls and it is a 2nd car so I dont drive it a lot and I have been traveling a lot the last couple of months so the car was driven even less. The first rejection the service tech told me to drive it around a few days and then come back. 2nd time it failed again, now I was told to drive some 15-20 freeway mls and I really made sure I ripped it up good hitting 100-110mls/hr i few times in 4th gear and up . 3rd time It failed again. Then I was told to drive 15-20 freeway mls with the A/C turned off and 50-70mls/hr. Failed again.
The self diagnostic system has registered fault codes: Catalyst Not Ready, Heated Cat N/S, Fuel System N/C, Air Cond N/S, 02 Sens, Not Ready, 02 Sens Htr Not Ready, EGR Sys N/S.
The service tech told me I have to come back on Monday and leave it for a day or 2 so they can run some more tests.
He also said that one has to drive a car x+ miles under a variety of conditions, city, freeway, stop and go before the car can actually be inspected, is this true?
There must a problem somewhere and in order to get to the bottom of it they must do some further digging which in the end will result in a lot of additional driving somebody has to do in my car. I dont like this at all. I have burned through a tank of gas trying to get the on board computer primed for the inspection and now somebody else after some additional testing will have to do the same again? Really?
Has anybody experienced this before? Suggestions??
O and by the way before I forget, the car runs fantastic, its a genuine animal , but alas I can't get my beast pass the damn emission test all the while 20-30% of the cars I see on the roads everyday drive around spewing black and blue smoke.... go figure.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 PM
EkS

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
C63
That is very normal. A relative is having the same issue with a car that doesn't get driven so the systems are showing a not ready status. Only way to fix it is to drive it. I wouldn't let the mechanic drive it, unless you trust him.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 AMG GTR
it's your tune. the rear 02 sensors are disabled and will never show ready. flash it back to stock for the test.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:37 PM

09 C63, 11 Cayenne S
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
it's your tune. the rear 02 sensors are disabled and will never show ready. flash it back to stock for the test.
This^. If your system never gets ready, it will never pass. I wouldnt blame the tune unless the tune was set this way, therefore it will never pass. Flash back to stock if thats doable
Old 10-22-2012, 10:57 AM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Your MB tech should be able to print out the specific drive cycle you need to ensure you get readiness. Just saying to drive it more at certain speeds is not sufficient. There is a documented procedure for this.

I also agree if you have a tune it could be the culprit, even if your vendor claims they don't do anything with the O2 sensors.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:55 AM

C63 AMG 2009
Originally Posted by mellowyellow
Your MB tech should be able to print out the specific drive cycle you need to ensure you get readiness. Just saying to drive it more at certain speeds is not sufficient. There is a documented procedure for this.

I also agree if you have a tune it could be the culprit, even if your vendor claims they don't do anything with the O2 sensors.
Going to get it back to stock and see if that takes care of it.
Stay tuned.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
I have not read the current books but an older one for a past Benz said you need to drive the car for an entire hour strait atleast once a month. Sounds like your not driving it enough. 20 miles is the bare minimum to get everything in he car up to temp. Go for an hour long drive mix freeway and street. If you can just get on and off the freeway flooring it over and over until you can smell the brakes and car burning.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 225 Likes on 171 Posts
2003 SL55 / 2002 SLK32
Assuming that "driving it around" (or completing a "drive cycle") is all that you need to do ... there are actual guidelines for this (that are far more specific and useful than "drive it for a couple of days" or "drive over 100" or any other number of vague instructions for completing the readiness monitor drive cycle). Worth noting, clearing an OBDii code generally un-sets the readiness monitors.

this (see link) is a straightforward way of setting all of your readiness monitors. I have found that it takes about 1 and a half drive cycles to reset the monitors (worth noting, many states do not require that all of your readiness monitors be "set" ... for example, california allows you to have one monitor un-set and still pass smog ... I think some states may allow 2).

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Chances are, you will find that one or more wont set because you have some problem ... but, at least you should be able to narrow it down after doing several drive cycles.

If you don't have one already, i suggest you get an obd2 scanner that indicates status of readiness monitors. Lay in your lap and watch it (and the road) as you try to jump through all of the hoops of the "drive cycle".

This one
Amazon Amazon
is a good value (I have 4 or more obd2 scanners and this is the one that I keep at work to lend to co-workers ... if you look at the pic in the Ad you can see where it displays the readiness indicator at the upper left of the the display). The nice thing about a scanner like this that displays the readiness monitor status is that it lets you know which readiness monitors are applicable to your specific car and whether they are set or not.

best of luck,
Chris

Last edited by latemodel21; 10-23-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM

C63 AMG 2009
Passed inspection at last!!

It was the tune, flashed back to stock and passed! Thanks to Jerry and Adam at Eurocharge always ready to help out.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:40 PM

C63 AMG 2009
Originally Posted by latemodel21
Assuming that "driving it around" (or completing a "drive cycle") is all that you need to do ... there are actual guidelines for this (that are far more specific and useful than "drive it for a couple of days" or "drive over 100" or any other number of vague instructions for completing the readiness monitor drive cycle). Worth noting, clearing an OBDii code generally un-sets the readiness monitors.

this (see link) is a straightforward way of setting all of your readiness monitors. I have found that it takes about 1 and a half drive cycles to reset the monitors (worth noting, many states do not require that all of your readiness monitors be "set" ... for example, california allows you to have one monitor un-set and still pass smog ... I think some states may allow 2).

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

Chances are, you will find that one or more wont set because you have some problem ... but, at least you should be able to narrow it down after doing several drive cycles.

If you don't have one already, i suggest you get an obd2 scanner that indicates status of readiness monitors. Lay in your lap and watch it (and the road) as you try to jump through all of the hoops of the "drive cycle".

This one http://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3100-OB...=pd_sim_auto_2 is a good value (I have 4 or more obd2 scanners and this is the one that I keep at work to lend to co-workers ... if you look at the pic in the Ad you can see where it displays the readiness indicator at the upper left of the the display). The nice thing about a scanner like this that displays the readiness monitor status is that it lets you know which readiness monitors are applicable to your specific car and whether they are set or not.

best of luck,
Chris
Good tip! Iam going to get me one.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Eurocharged tunes have trouble passing emissions in the e55 cars due to rear o2 not ready. My car had no issues w my Oe tune I got after headers were put on and no cel .