Final questions: C63 to CLS63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Final questions: C63 to CLS63

I had posted about a week ago regarding buying a used PTT versus a new CLS. I have made up my mind and staying in the AMG family .
A few more final questions regarding upgrading from the C to the CLS.
Am I limited on the CLS for manual shifting to the paddles or do I have the ability to do it with the center console lever like the C?
Is the transmission on the CLS better i.e. faster than my C (mine is an 09)? Even with a tune, the C was still slow double shifting? Will the CLS be better stock? Will a tune improves the response time (a tune on the C63 did allow faster response from the paddles but did not seem to do much for transmission).
Can you completely take the traction nannies off like the C? I understand that even off, the system will kick back in if it senses danger but it will let you do controlled slides quite nicely. Is the CLS system the same?
How would you rate the CLS seats versus the C seats? I will miss the one piece look of the C seats .
I know the CLS is heavier. Will I really feel a difference in handling with the C or does the adjustable airmatic in the stiffest set up make me forget the extra weight?
Any other feedback from people who did the upgrade would be greatly appreciated
I will have to give my C next week and wait about 3 months for the CLS. THe wait is going to kill me.
I am thinking of getting the matte grey. I have already done a search and I am aware of the "do not do" but I would like some real world experience of people with the flat paint.
I also have some parts to sell, see link below.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...arts-sale.html
Thanks in advance fellows.

Last edited by emericr; 10-26-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'13 CLS63 PP
Glad you will stay in the AMG family I will try to answer your questions

Am I limited on the CLS for manual shifting to the paddles or do I have the ability to do it with the center console lever like the C? Yes It's limited you just use the shifting paddles only you cant use the console lever
Is the transmission on the CLS better i.e. faster than my C (mine is an 09)? Yes its faster since its new transmission and the sound of the shifting really nice
Even with a tune, the C was still slow double shifting? Will the CLS be better stock? It's better and faster
Will a tune improves the response time (a tune on the C63 did allow faster response from the paddles but did not seem to do much for transmission).Sure with tune it gonna shift faster like the C63
Can you completely take the traction nannies off like the C? I haven't tried this one yet lol
I understand that even off, the system will kick back in if it senses danger but it will let you do controlled slides quite nicely. Is the CLS system the same? It's the same

How would you rate the CLS seats versus the C seats? I like this question because I like the seats in C63 more than CLS63 I feel more safe lol because you'll be driving boat (CLS63)

I hope I answered your questions if you want anything PM me
Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by emericr
I had posted about a week ago regarding buying a used PTT versus a new CLS. I have made up my mind and staying in the AMG family .
A few more final questions regarding upgrading from the C to the CLS.
Am I limited on the CLS for manual shifting to the paddles or do I have the ability to do it with the center console lever like the C?
Is the transmission on the CLS better i.e. faster than my C (mine is an 09)? Even with a tune, the C was still slow double shifting? Will the CLS be better stock? Will a tune improves the response time (a tune on the C63 did allow faster response from the paddles but did not seem to do much for transmission).
Can you completely take the traction nannies off like the C? I understand that even off, the system will kick back in if it senses danger but it will let you do controlled slides quite nicely. Is the CLS system the same?
How would you rate the CLS seats versus the C seats? I will miss the one piece look of the C seats .
I know the CLS is heavier. Will I really feel a difference in handling with the C or does the adjustable airmatic in the stiffest set up make me forget the extra weight?
Any other feedback from people who did the upgrade would be greatly appreciated
I will have to give my C next week and wait about 3 months for the CLS. THe wait is going to kill me.
I am thinking of getting the matte grey. I have already done a search and I am aware of the "do not do" but I would like some real world experience of people with the flat paint.
I also have some parts to sell, see link below.
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...arts-sale.html
Thanks in advance fellows.
I have driven both back to back at the AMG driving academy... Honestly going from the C63 to the CLS was like going from a go-cart to a boat... The CLS was very nice but too big, its fast as hell but just not as sporty to drive. As a smaller guy with a BMI of around 20 I love the C63 seats and the CLS lacked that hug.

The new CLS has the same transmission as in the 2012+ C63 MCT, you can pick C, S, S+, or M for shift modes, its a much faster trany the previous years but still lacks compared to a dual clutch of competitors, its can be grumpy in 1st gear with jerky starts and stops but nothing like a BMW with SMG such as the E46 M3 or the previous M5.

But honestly if I had to buy one today with no choice I would go with the CLS as its newer engine and tech and the C63 is at the end of its lifespan. I would miss the feel of the C63 as its more of a raw car in terms of sound and experience vs isolation of the CLS or E.

Also the ECU for the engine is different than from he transmission I wouldn't mess with the transmission at all, the engine yea give it a tad more boost but be aware its new and be prepared to pay to play if something goes wrong. But you wont be upset with the upshift speeds its more of the when your not redlining it and putting around town is when you will grow to hate it like I did.

Last edited by 2012C63AMG; 10-26-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
Own both, totally different cars. Love both. Enough said?
Old 10-27-2012, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
Totally different cars??? I really did not want to hear that. Care to expand on the differences?

Originally Posted by Karl901
Own both, totally different cars. Love both. Enough said?
Old 10-27-2012, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63AMG P31
Just Test Drive one and all the questions will be answered ! :P
Old 10-27-2012, 04:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
I just came back from driving a CLS550.
Maybe I am getting old but I did not feel it was a "boat". Can you feel the extra weight? sure but it did not bother me and the air suspension was a much better set up than my P30 stiff package.
I did not feel any throttle delay at all and was impressed with the instant response of the car.
I really can't wait to feel what 590 torque will do to that chassis.
The interior alone is worth it IMHO. Finally the exclusivity of the CLS especially with matte paint add an intangible factor.
Bottom line: I am sold on the CLS and after I visit another customer who has one with the matte paint to chat about maintenance, I will order one.
It is my first ever new car so I am like a child in a candy store .
Thanks for all your replies and feedback.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
CLS is the *****.. I'll take it any time over my CL63
Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
well, if i had to chose it would have been the CLS