ESP not available, limp mode, CEL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 11:10 PM
JCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
ESP not available, limp mode, CEL

Driving close to home when car shudders, decelerates to about 3mph, and throttle pedal goes dead. Display says ESP not currently available, yellow triangle stays on as well as the cel. Managed to limp home although crossing a busy intersection at 3mph with flashers on was exciting - barely made it before the light changed.

Just got the C back from the dealership last night where they fixed the leaking intake manifold gasket,changed the oil, and replaced the two rear tires. This is what I asked them to do. However, after the incident tonight I read through the work order and see that they also found the right rear axle side seal leaking and replaced it under warranty. Funny the SA never mentioned this, but whatever. I'll have it towed back to the dealer on Monday, but I am wondering if they somehow botched the rear axle side seal repair and triggered the ESP problem. In reading the work order it appears they had to remove and replace the right rear axle so it sounds like it involved a fair amount of work. I also noticed earlier today that the rear end slid a bit to the right once or twice (ESP was on) when accelerating around curves, but didn't think much about it until tonight's incident. I've had the ECU flashed (couple of years ago) so I'm hoping the rear axle work is the culprit and the dealer can remain ignorant of the reflash. Tried the ECU reset procedure, but no change.

I'll post the resolution next week after the dealer repair.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by JCH; 11-17-2012 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I think as far as the flash you will be fine. Good luck and just let them handle EVERYTHING under the warranty....