C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Any Ex-E55 People Here?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Any Ex-E55 People Here?

Has anyone here come from the E55 (W211) to a C63? If so, how was the change? Do you think it's a worthwhile upgrade. Is the handling much better?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 AM

335i
Would love some in depth input on this too since I'm in the market for both
Old 11-29-2012, 04:02 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
Originally Posted by CityOfAngels
Has anyone here come from the E55 (W211) to a C63? If so, how was the change? Do you think it's a worthwhile upgrade. Is the handling much better?
I came from a heavily modified E55.

The handling is much much better. I do not have coilovers yet but the difference between a steel suspension and a wobbly boat air suspension on the E55 is huge. The daily drive isnt as soft but the ride is no way harsh. The car feels nimble and handles really well. The stock power on the C63 is close to the stock power of an E55 (however I hadnt ridden in a stock E55 in awhile). The transmission is awesome and paddle shifting is fun (I drove both 2012 and 2011). The sound of the exhaust is intoxicating, hands down one of the best features of the car. Interior is better and the technology upgrades (based on 2010+ with Premium Leather Interior, Multimedia Pkg, Bluetooth and rear view camera) is very nice and a welcome addition compared to my 05 E55. When it comes to aftermarket you are limited to what you can add compared to the E55. Stages for power are usually as follows.

Stage 1 - Filters and Tune
Stage 2 - Airboxes, Filters, Tune
Stage 3 - Long Tube headers, Filters, Tune, Airboxes (thermostats etc)
Stage 4 - Supercharged + 1,2,3.

I just added a Stage 3 to my C63, minus the airboxes and the difference is huge. The car is an absolute monster now.

All in all, I love the C63, for me the change made sense. If I did it over again I might have waited for a new E63 BiTurbo to pop up, but it just wasnt in the budget for me to have something like that right now.

Last edited by johnnyblaze; 11-29-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:19 PM

2003-E55 2011-C63 2016-C63S
I have done exactly this only a month ago.

Whilst I loved the E55 for its King of the Road executive muscle car status I no longer really miss it. The C63 is a different beast entirely. It is nimble and a lot more accurate around corners. At freeway speeds it does not feel as solid as it is obviously a lighter car but having said that it still feels very sure footed.

The 55 is more of a tyre shredder off the line. There is not much in it speed wise, but I now enjoy the more linear power of the 63 engine. The car feels faster to me. My 55 was an 03 so it probably had lost a little power over the years.

I would also add the 55 is a more relaxing car to drive. With the exhaust note and the superior cornering abilities of the C63 you just want to give it a bit all the time.

I also find that the 55 attracted less unwanted attention. Mine was black with stock AMG rims and window tint. No mods or anything. It had that executive presence that I gives the impression of a mature guy. I think the C63 has a more boy racer image and I have noticed a lot more hostility on the road.

Also I have a 6 year old boy and 4 year old girl and room in the back is not a problem at all. Both kids love the car!! So does the Mrs!!