Sorry - Question on my C63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
Sorry - Question on my C63

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry in advance as I am sure this question has been beaten to death however I am a little unsure regarding the answer.

I have been told that I can do a resonator delete on my c63 and it will sound like it is constantly in sports mode but a bit louder. I've been told I can do this for a cost of about US$70 through a friend who has a garage.I've also read that you cannot do this if you have sensors but from reading it seems the cars do not have these sensors on them? My questions are:

A: How do I find out if the car has sensors? It's an 08 C63 with 40,000 miles on it.

B: I read straight pipes are better for the loud sound and X pipes for a smoother sound.

C: Will it affect my car's fuel consumption and if so by how much?

D: If the sound gets too loud, what can I do to restore it and is it an expensive process?

Really appreciate any help in advance. Thanks so much.

Last edited by C-63AMG; 12-07-2012 at 04:36 AM.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 353 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by C-63AMG
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry in advance as I am sure this question has been beaten to death however I am a little unsure regarding the answer.

I have been told that I can do a resonator delete on my c63 and it will sound like it is constantly in sports mode but a bit louder. I've been told I can do this for a cost of about US$70 through a friend who has a garage.I've also read that you cannot do this if you have sensors but from reading it seems the cars do not have these sensors on them? My questions are:

A: How do I find out if the car has sensors? It's an 08 C63 with 40,000 miles on it.

B: I read straight pipes are better for the loud sound and X pipes for a smoother sound.

C: Will it affect my car's fuel consumption and if so by how much?

D: If the sound gets too loud, what can I do to restore it and is it an expensive process?

Really appreciate any help in advance. Thanks so much.
$70 is a cheap price but will not buy you stainless pipe and likely just pipe welded in place. It will get the job done but not up to the standard of the car ....well that is my 0.02.

A: Your car has sensors before and after the primary cats and will not be affected by a resonator or secondary cat delete. Your secondary cats can be deleted as well but the car may not pass a visual inspection depending on local regulations and inspections.

B: That is about right for the sound. Straight pipes will be more guttural and raspy and x-pipe smoother and perhaps a little more low end torque.

C: I don't think fuel consumption will change at all unless you drive harder to hear your new found sound. The MAFs and O2 sensors will be untouched and flow and scavenging will not increase by much if at all with the cats still in place.

D: If the sound is not to your liking or is too loud for you or your neighbors or local police then you will have to undo it. Ask your friend how much it will cost.

GL with it and it is a pretty popular mod by owners on here.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:58 AM

C63 AMG
Thank you so much Mort,

Am going to try and get this done tomorrow and will fork out more to get the stainless steel pipes. Definitely excited by this as I love the sound in Sports mode on acceleration and also when the car downshifts!
Old 12-07-2012, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
You're not gonna like it. Car is going to sound sick (ill).
Old 12-07-2012, 12:21 PM

C63 AMG
Hey Guilty. Hope you're well. Nowadays sick has two meanings

When you say sick (ill), you mean bad and unhealthy? I heard a youtube video and it sounded awesome but I do understand everyone has their own individual opinion.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 c63
I originally did a resonator delete as my first mod and I absolutely fell in love with the sound. Then I added a mid pipe to the car (deleted the secondary cats) and my god, i honestly thought it couldn't sound any better but it sounds even more amazing. I get so many compliments on the car's sound now.

To undo the resonator delete, it shouldnt cost more than 100$ as thats what i was quoted but to undo the midpipe and resonator delete would cost a bit more than that. But my honest opinion, if you do the resonator delete, do the midpipe as well.....it sounds like an angry dragon who has just woken up from slumber coming down the road, truly magnificent haha
Old 12-09-2012, 06:19 AM

C63 AMG
Thanks Kingpin,

Did the resonator delete with straight pipes today and F**K me it sounds great! Am thinking of doing the secondary cat delete now and was recommended to do that with an X pipe rather than straight pipes? Does that sound about right? They said the X pipes/secondary cat delete would cost US$200 but I live in Dubai and everything's expensive over here.
Attached Thumbnails Sorry - Question on my C63-resonator-delete.jpg  
Old 12-09-2012, 06:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Do a H-pipe instead of stright pipe if You decide to delete the 2nd cats.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 AM

C63 AMG
Thanks Olszowa,

I read online that most people do the straight pipes for the resonator and the X pipe for the secondary cats. What's the difference between an X pipe and a H pipe? Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
The H-pipe makes the sound deeper.
If You do some research on the forum, You will find evidence showing minimal power gains in using H-pipe instead of straight pipe design.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:25 AM

C63 AMG
Thanks olszowa, Am not too bothered with power gains but am looking for the sound. If I can get the extra power then great. Thanks
Old 12-10-2012, 06:13 AM

C63 AMG
One last question. Can I use straight pipes if I don't want the power gain or will that cause drone or problems? Can I use an X pipe which is currently available (with straight pipes) but H pipe will take some time to get in (1 week).

THanks