C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

AMG Driving Academy Cars

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63, E500, 250SL
AMG Driving Academy Cars

Does anybody know what happens to the AMG Driving Academy Cars once they are done using them? If/when they are sold, is it disclosed to the buyers that these had been formally used as track race cars? Anyone have experience in ending up with one of these?
Old 12-14-2012, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your mom
"Maybe" they are classified as Mercedes corporate cars.. I know of one C63 whIch was being sold with only 4k miles and never issued title. The dealer told me it was a corporate car. The car with a MSRP of close to 77k was being sold for $58k.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03' CL600
Maybe it's listed as a "demo" when you pull a VMI but you will never know unless you request one before purchase.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 PM

C63, E500, 250SL
I am trying to determine if Mercedes Benz has a policy of disclosing this.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:23 PM

your mom
Given the no of cars they have at the academy - ~ 8 of Each kind C63 / SLK55 / E63 / CLS 63 / SLS. I am almost certain you they are listed as demo cars - corporate cars. Almost certain that they don't have a policy disclosing the prior use of the car. Just label it as demo - corporate.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
It's really no problem if they give you a very good deal with full length factory warranty as long as you don't plan to keep the car past the warranty period.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
We actually asked the instructors while we were there. They said due to the abuse they clearly go through, they DO NOT resell them but rather crush them.

This is again what they told us, don't know if its true.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Originally Posted by dboutros
We actually asked the instructors while we were there. They said due to the abuse they clearly go through, they DO NOT resell them but rather crush them.

+63, I was also told this. The thought behind it is that MB/AMG does not want such cars in the market place since they're "abused" and may suffer more problems than a usual car--not the kind of marketing they want. I think this was also confirmed on the PL before.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
Originally Posted by dboutros

I was told something along the same lines for all of those MB demo cars used at car events before the AMG Academy existed. Think the driving events where the company invites perspective buyers to try out the car either on a closed course or track.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
They are not released back to the general population.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:41 AM

C63, E500, 250SL
Does anyone have solid proof of this (that the cars are not released to the public without disclosure)..... I got stuck with one and am now in negotiations with the Dealer and the MB corporate. CARFAX came back with with it having been a corporate car, 8k miles. Once i got it home and up on the rack there are signs of it being wrecked and repainted, signs of all the decals are apparent and the brake disks are cracked extensively and the calipers are a mess too. Can anyone else say they think they got one?? If I don't get some satisfaction I am going to take this as far as possible. Any help or proof is greatly appreciated
Old 12-15-2012, 10:01 AM

C63 amg
I was as well told they crush them. Also they tear down their motors to see how things held up.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Originally Posted by C63-250SL
Does anyone have solid proof of this (that the cars are not released to the public without disclosure)..... I got stuck with one and am now in negotiations with the Dealer and the MB corporate. CARFAX came back with with it having been a corporate car, 8k miles. Once i got it home and up on the rack there are signs of it being wrecked and repainted, signs of all the decals are apparent and the brake disks are cracked extensively and the calipers are a mess too. Can anyone else say they think they got one?? If I don't get some satisfaction I am going to take this as far as possible. Any help or proof is greatly appreciated
Regardless of if its a track car, when you buy a car from an MB dealer with 8k miles and it turns out to show that kind of damage, I find it hard to believe that simply going back to the dealer and expressing dissatisfaction wont solve your problem. Talk to them first, if they push you away, I would send detailed pictures to MB Corporate demanding a clear resolution.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by rory breaker
Regardless of if its a track car, when you buy a car from an MB dealer with 8k miles and it turns out to show that kind of damage, I find it hard to believe that simply going back to the dealer and expressing dissatisfaction wont solve your problem. Talk to them first, if they push you away, I would send detailed pictures to MB Corporate demanding a clear resolution.
Agree with rory.

When I got my car, I noticed some issues with a side skirt, with handles being insensitive and Rust in areas that I thought shouldn't be there.... Mb fixed it all and even ended up painting a few panels along the way. No probs from them at all.

Best word of advice is to be nice to your SA. They can make things happen
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
^^ Tim, you asked them to repaint your brand new car? I would request for a new car as a whole.
Old 12-15-2012, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
rust should never be in any new car.......
Old 12-15-2012, 05:00 PM

C63, E500, 250SL
Thanks for all the feedback. Still trying to find any others who feel they may have ended up with a used AMG Driving Academy Car. This maybe an issue that will come to light as I move through this investigation with MB, the dealer, my attorney, CARFAX, and many other local and federal agencies.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by C63-250SL
Does anybody know what happens to the AMG Driving Academy Cars once they are done using them? If/when they are sold, is it disclosed to the buyers that these had been formally used as track race cars? Anyone have experience in ending up with one of these?
Actually, just before I bought mine, I was considering a 2011 Pre owned, in silver. My friend told me that watch out for the silver ones as they use those in the academy here, not sure about everywhere else. His friend bought a second hand c63 in silver, the car had many, many problems after around 7500km, when taken to another dealership to service they told him that yes, the car was infact used in the academy. That is here, not too sure if they do in other countries!
Old 12-15-2012, 07:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Maybe someone who has done one of the AMG drive days could chime in here - are the cars all nearly new or do you find high mileage beaten up examples?? I would have thought one of these academy cars would put the miles on fairly quickly, suggesting that a car that appears thru the MB network with low miles say 2-3K would be unlikely to be an AMG Academy car? Are there any other observations ie do they tend to be one particular colour and not highly optioned??

On the other side of the coin I am a little bit sceptical about the "ex MB head office car" - I mean how many could there actually be at head office? I cant imagine they have seemingly hundreds of AMGs just lying idle in the staff car park, occasionally getting driven for a weekend away by the CFO, and then released into the dealer network 6 months later with a few thousand miles on the clock.

A little reality check you could try is have a look at the "recent destinations" listings programmed in the Sat Nav. Do these fit with the story of a "head office" car that has pottered around doing a few weekends away?? I personally would be a little dubious if there were no Sat Nav entries on a car with a few thousand miles on the clock.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
The cars I drove on an amg day all had less then 300km on them.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:11 PM

C63 amg
Originally Posted by JimmyR
Maybe someone who has done one of the AMG drive days could chime in here - are the cars all nearly new or do you find high mileage beaten up examples?? I would have thought one of these academy cars would put the miles on fairly quickly, suggesting that a car that appears thru the MB network with low miles say 2-3K would be unlikely to be an AMG Academy car? Are there any other observations ie do they tend to be one particular colour and not highly optioned??

On the other side of the coin I am a little bit sceptical about the "ex MB head office car" - I mean how many could there actually be at head office? I cant imagine they have seemingly hundreds of AMGs just lying idle in the staff car park, occasionally getting driven for a weekend away by the CFO, and then released into the dealer network 6 months later with a few thousand miles on the clock.

A little reality check you could try is have a look at the "recent destinations" listings programmed in the Sat Nav. Do these fit with the story of a "head office" car that has pottered around doing a few weekends away?? I personally would be a little dubious if there were no Sat Nav entries on a car with a few thousand miles on the clock.

I did an AMG academy and they told us they crush them. As they were to much of a liability to actual send that out to the public. As for a corporate car they are quite common and not just reserved for a CFO. A regional brand manager or district manager will be given a corporate car. The reason I know this is that I was looking at a BMW X5M and just happened to have the DM there visiting. He basically they said use them for anywhere 6000-10000 miles. Also he said that they got to try different models out as well. After they are done they are sent to a BMW only auction in which BMW dealers only can bid on the cars. That's what my experience has been with it.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
I went to the AMG academy at Laguna in Nov. The cars were pretty fresh. The had SLK55, C63 Coupes, SL63 biturbos, and AMG SLS for us to drive. About 20 of each. They also had one of every other model of AMG available if you wanted to drive one. All the instructors drove CLK63 black series (guess that tells you what the pro's prefer). I thought the car were destoyed when done but the instructor told me they are put up for auction with full disclosure of what the cars were used for.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:39 PM

Huracan STO
I am not sure of the correct and true answer but I can say there is a c63 sedan at a dealer in NJ msrp 85K with 2k miles title never issued and they said it was a corporate car. Best part is they are selling it for the original sticker price and you can already see the bolster on the drivers side looks destroyed