Bahrain AMG Road Show 12th Jan 2013

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts
R129 SL55 AMG & W208 CLK55 AMG
Bahrain AMG Road Show 12th Jan 2013

I had the privilege of being invited to the first AMG track test day today. I really enjoyed myself especially having the choice of jumping from one AMG to the other in a span of an hour... so the comparisons being fresh throughout lap by lap.

My thoughts:

First car was an SL63, I really loved the torque, but was mildly disappointed with the handling of the car. It felt like wanted to over steer , making the driving aids kick in most of the time. Coming our turn even trying to gradually throttle it out, car hesitated and lagged before picking up!

My rating: 6/10

Then came the SLK55, coming out the SL, the car felt very underpowered, but more nimble around the s bends and hairpins. But always lacked that torque needed to exit each turn.

My rating: 8/10

The came the CLS63. This thing was a disaster! First off, there was a problem with the transmission. The mechanics tried to program the module and get it going but it still had problems. In manual more, the clutch was slipping for some reason. In Splus mode, 2nd and 4th gear was malfunctioning intermittently. Obviously a problem with one of the clutches! It handles like *****, it felt like a big boat floating around the surface. Under-steer was a normal phenomenon with this car! It almost felt like I was wake boarding instead!

My rating: 5/10

Then came the C63 Coupe. Oh my God this was the perfect machine! Nimble, steering was sharp and accurate, and it delivered the power instaneously without hesitation! Slightly over-steering on early throttles but nothing the driving dynamics control couldn't fix. This machine was a branch off my hands and feet. I felt everything the car was going to do, and it did! What a fabulous machine... I had no idea it was this good! The brakes were as good as the SL's if not snappier!

My rating 9/10

The ML63 was smooth, comfortable and refined. But it's not your track car that's for sure. Be careful for those body rolls and under-steers. Push her a little more than she likes, and she will bounce and hop if you're not careful. But hey, it's an SUV so no complaints there! Torque delivery surprising, very impressed!

My rating: 7/10

I didn't bother with the GL63, had to get to the office in time for my 12pm meeting!

The organizers had GoPros mounted every where, so hoping they compile my video and send it my way! As soon as they do, I'll upload it to youtube!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Interesting reviews - definitely hoping to see video soon!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Interesting findings on SL63's handling since I read that many people find the new SL63 to handle better than a SLS.