Thinking of buying a used w204 C63 amg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c class 350 cdi sport
Thinking of buying a used w204 C63 amg

Hi everyone,

I am from the UK and this is my first posting here (and I do apologise if this is a repeated posting as I am sure many guys like me have sent similar posts before) and as I noticed there are a good c63 drivers in this forum, I am sure I would have some good and wise advice and therefore would appreciate any help you may give me to decide what I must look for in buying a used c63 (maximum 3 years old so from 2010 onwards).
Currently I own a w204 350 cdi and I must say that i really enjoy the car for every day use but after doing the half day experience driving AMG cars in Brooklands recently (drove E63 & SL63), I have become completely hooked by the AMG engine.
I have had a look at several used C63 W204 cars with MB and I am ideally after a car that has less than 30k mileage, with 18 inch alloys as apparently the 19' affect the driving making the car too stiff? Am not after the Performance Pack as apparently it also affects the driving making the suspension too stiff (I mostly drive in town, so with our UK roads being quite bad, I am trying to find the best balance). Is there anything in particular regarding the engine that I must look for or ask with the MB seller if specific safety modification have been made? I hear that the headbolts can be an issue and if so from which year, should I be worried about this if i look for a car from year 2010? If this is an issue would MB dealer admit this and make modifications?
Thanking you for your assistance, hopefully with your coming advice, I will be a c63 owner and experience this unique driving again!
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Hi mate
In no particular order I can answer some of your queries.
The headbolt issue affects those motors built prior to about May 2010. Somewhere in the several posts on the subject there is a list of VINs that are affected so you could always check the vehicle you looking at against the list or limit your search to late 2010 build onwards to be sure.
Not sure about all the various option packages in other parts of the world but the earlier Performance Packs coded P30 did have extra stiff suspension but I believe the P31 optioned cars from about late 2010 had the same suspension as non PP models.
I have not driven a 19 inch wheeled C63 but based on my experience in other cars with 18 v 19 inch wheel options I doubt the 19s with standard size tyres would ride all that much harder than 18s. Other considerations are that the 19 inch tyres are in the order of ~25% more expensive that the equivalent 18 inch tyre, which arguably should be factored in given the rate at which the C63 chews rear tyres. Another issue with the OEM 19 inch wheel option is what appears to be quite a high incidence of the 19 inch wheel fracturing and MB not coming to the party to cover under warranty. (I thought I read fairly recently on here of a UK C63 owner having trouble with this problem on both rear wheels and no help from MB). There is also a theory that this is the reason why the 19 inch wheel is neither offered as an option on C63 sold in the USA or included in the Performance Pack option.
But dont let all this put you off and good luck with the search. Just be sure to put some of your budget aside for fuel, tyres and insurance.
Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
As Jimmy stated, the cars affected have a date range and you can check the site for VINs. To be sure, buy a 2011 and you will be under warranty. I do not know how long the OEM warranty is in the UK and I think it is less then our 4 years in the US.
I would not worry about it and enjoy the search for the new ride. Post pics when you get it.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c class 350 cdi sport
Thanks guys, your advice is greatly appreciated. This is very helpful indeed. I will let you know of my search, how this gets on....
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
The only thing I can say with the price of fuel over there - GOOD LUCK!