C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

What is the recommended tune?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huracan STO
What is the recommended tune?

You read so many different reviews and its just making this decision that much harder lol. Of say the three I hear the most about are MHP,OE and Eurocharged. Plan on getting a tune right away when I receive the car. (Removing resonators and cats, adding an x pipe) but not gettin headers right away. Of course I want a tune that will make the most power, and then within a few months I'm sure ill be adding headers so I need a company that has a tune for a c63 with no cats and also one that has tuned on cars with headers so I can upgrade the tune when I install headers.

Last edited by tomespo; 01-25-2013 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'13 CLS63 PP
I would go with OE tuning with their handheld tuning programmes which make it easier for you to get updated tunes and upload them to your car I think it come with 4 maps which is really nice
Old 01-25-2013, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
DO YOUR RESEARCH.

You will find the way.
Old 01-25-2013, 05:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
I'd say stick with the stock factory setup for at least a month, test the car and only then get the tune.
Otherwise you won't see the difference.
I got the Velos Deisgnwerks tune (+35WHP on dyno) and am extremely happy because above 5000rpms the car is an animal.

And if You are planning to get headers as well, check which company offers free retunes

Matt
Old 01-25-2013, 09:33 AM

2013 C63 AMG
Also seeking a tune

I have been monitoring the forums over the past month so I am in the same boat here. I don't plan on getting a tune until I do the 1000 mile break in that is recommended by MB. I don't want to do some huge like DAD's but I also want to go for monster sound with some added HP.

Also, when companies advertise more efficiency with their tunes, what are they implying? I was under the impression that if your car is more fuel efficient that you will have less power.

I apologize in advance for the ignorance but I am fairly new to modding, and I trust advice in this forum more so than the average rice burner shops you see around town.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 AM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by tomespo
You read so many different reviews and its just making this decision that much harder lol. Of say the three I hear the most about are MHP,OE and Eurocharged. Plan on getting a tune right away when I receive the car. (Removing resonators and cats, adding an x pipe) but not gettin headers right away. Of course I want a tune that will make the most power, and then within a few months I'm sure ill be adding headers so I need a company that has a tune for a c63 with no cats and also one that has tuned on cars with headers so I can upgrade the tune when I install headers.
We can easily help you with that when your ready. We offer safe and proven power, and can easily CUSTOM tune you as well when needed. We can either sell you a remote handheld flasher or you can stop in at one of our locations or our dealers around the world.

Originally Posted by SaintC63
I have been monitoring the forums over the past month so I am in the same boat here. I don't plan on getting a tune until I do the 1000 mile break in that is recommended by MB. I don't want to do some huge like DAD's but I also want to go for monster sound with some added HP.

Also, when companies advertise more efficiency with their tunes, what are they implying? I was under the impression that if your car is more fuel efficient that you will have less power.

I apologize in advance for the ignorance but I am fairly new to modding, and I trust advice in this forum more so than the average rice burner shops you see around town.

Thanks!
With just the tune the sound will be awesome. We open the throttle body more and some people have said it sounds like they added and exhaust!

The cars run extremely rich (lots of fuel) from the factory, and most tuners like us remove some of that fuel. You will actually make more power when doing that (along with other things) as well as gain mpg in the process!

Just like was previously mentioned, do your homework on your tuner of choice. Make sure they have been around for a while and know the platform, have a ton of happy customer references, and are available if you have any issues during the process or post tune!

Old 01-25-2013, 10:22 AM

2012 C63 coupe P31/LSD
the air fuel ratio is leaner than stock. Less fuel is being sprayed by the injectors per volume of air. But I didnt notice any better gas mileage. This is a minute difference. In fact you car will probably run a bit hot, mine does. A rich air/fuel ratio cools the pistons bec the fuel being sprayed into the intake tract has a cooling effect on the air in going in. But too rich Losses power. The key is to get just the right ratio. According to OE, they aim for Full load fuel 12.5-12.7 (stock is 10.8-11.2).
Another theory is that if you make more power at a given rpm, you will use less throttle to maintain the same speed while cruising bec you are making more power. This is also a minute difference IMO. Makes more sense in turbos bec the tune does really give you a lot more power at lower rpms on a turbo engine.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
I'll name off some of the tuners for you so you can search and then research on your own.

The big ones,

Eurocharged
MHP
OETuning
Weistec
Renntech
Kleeman

Other tuners with good reputations,
Buckhead Imports (BIP) (big in the E55 platforms, but have dyno proven 63 platform tunes)
Velos Designworks
LogicLab Tuning (newer but hasnt had a negative review)

Tuners Im not sure about...
Powerchip

I went with OETuning because they are local and come highly recommended by my mechanic (Serge@BenzWorks). My advice to anyone is to get a custom dyno tune done. Box tunes are good but every car is slightly different than the next.

Last edited by johnnyblaze; 01-25-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL63
Bottom line is they're all basically the same and will perform the same. Talk to a few tuners and pick the one you're most comfortable with.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I don't know if Powerchip is still in business. I've tried all sorts of avenues to try to see if my tune is locked or not. Apparently, the only way for me to find out is by trying to write over it...which means I would have to buy a handheld tuner or go somewhere and see as it goes.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
OE or MHP.

Proven results.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 PM

2012 C63 AMG
I recommend going with a big name company. You are risking a very expensive motor if you go with some idiot who is just reselling copies of tunes from other people.

I personally have Kleeman tune on my car, Corey took great care of me. The only disadvantage is they do not offer a handheld tuner. But at the time I bought the tune this wasn't available from anyone.

I dont have OE tuning, but I would recommend them as they have been around for a long time here now with no issues.

I would run away form MHP, they have been banned from here. And people have had bad experiences including myself. (not a product issue for me but an honesty issues and putting my ECU at risk for being stolen)

Basically you want to find a shop that can afford to replace your car if they mess it up. I know I can go after the tuner I used legally since they are big and established and have assets.

You have to watch out as several tuners are just running it out of their house, some of which you couldnt even sell the house and buy an AMG...Dont be fooled by a nice site and a few pictures of cars and a few customer reviews, they can be planted.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
As you can see, everyone has their own opinion. If you go with a reputable tuner named above, you should not have a problem.
Some tuners will push their tune more than others and therefore make a bit more power.
I went with Jerry (Eurocharged) due to the his customer care and the fact that he travels quite a bit and was able to get a custom tune in Miami after I got a regular tune.
Good luck and enjoy.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:37 PM

C63
Eurocharged for me.

Alex at Fineline in Miami is a great guy.
The handheld tuner is a big plus, you can at anytime revert to original tune when you go to MB for service. Plus there always working on new custom updates for you. Super happy with them. Best mod ever.

https://mbworld.org/forums/florida/4...ler-miami.html
Attached Thumbnails What is the recommended tune?-c63-s-copy.jpg  

Last edited by SB...C63; 01-25-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:42 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by SB...C63
Alex at Fineline in Miami is a great guy.
The handheld tuner is a big plus, you can at anytime revert to original tune when you go to MB for service. Plus there always working on new custom updates for you. Super happy with them. Best mod ever.
Which track is that?!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:48 PM

C63
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
Which track is that?!
Homestead.....
Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
I'll name off some of the tuners for you so you can search and then research on your own.

The big 3,

Eurocharged
MHP
OETuning

Other tuners with good reputations,
Buckhead Imports (BIP)
Velos Designworks
LogicLab Tuning
Kleeman
Renntech (expensive but proven results)

Tuners Im not sure about...
Powerchip

I went with OETuning because they are local and come highly recommended by my mechanic (Serge@BenzWorks). My advice to anyone is to get a custom dyno tune done. Box tunes are good but every car is slightly different than the next.

Sorry saw your post... and had to chime in on it.

The big 2 companies are Renntech and Kleeman they have been tuning Merc's far longer than any of the others. Renntech has a reputation for being $$$, but from what I was told the company uses AMG techs/connections.

I dont get how you can say "good reputation" for some of them posted.

1. Logici lab tuning is brand new, we have yet to see any dyno results or hear any customer feed back.... They have 0 reputation IMO. If they are good then thats one heck of a price and others will have to drop down.

2. Velos got off to a bad start here by posting Dyno graphs which were misleading, which was cleared up in another debate months ago. (Posting graphs that showed different correction which inflated HP numbers). I have yet to see an unhappy customer (The C63 BS guy doesnt count as we couldnt get a clear answer from him, you can search and find this in the debate over inflated numbers)

3. MHP is not a big 3.

4. Buckhead Imports I have been here lurking before I joined for 3 years. I have never heard of this company or seen it mentioned here once.

Please folks add to this, I would like to see a sticky of tuners, so folks can post feedback of the companies either positive or negative.

Please if you see anything I wrote disagree or agree with it, but lets keep it fact based. Also here on MBW I am sure I could become a sponsor if I paid the dues, lets not forget the past sponsors who have been banned here.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
I went with Velos and am very happy with the results.
+35RHWP is good enough for me

Kleeman seems a little outdated to me. The last time I heard about them was when they screwed Weistec over with their "own" supercharger.
And Renntech is better because "you were told that they have AMG connections"?

There are so many threads about different reviews on tunes that you can do a thorough research in a few minutes.

I've been here for a while as well and all I can say is that I haven't heard a bad review on OE Tuning, Eurocharged, Velos (except for Kaiba's C63 BS), or Kleeman.

I do agree that no one posted any reviews or private dynos of BI Performance or Logic Lab.

As for MHP, there are those who love it and those who don't. The fastest C63 here (Dads) runs MHP hardware and software.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:35 PM

CLS63S
Originally Posted by 2012C63AMG
Sorry saw your post... and had to chime in on it.

The big 2 companies are Renntech and Kleeman they have been tuning Merc's far longer than any of the others. Renntech has a reputation for being $$$, but from what I was told the company uses AMG techs/connections.

3. MHP is not a big 3.

4. Buckhead Imports I have been here lurking before I joined for 3 years. I have never heard of this company or seen it mentioned here once.

When I say big 3, i mean majority of the people that frequent these boards are running their tune. I should have been more clear.

3. Since I switched to a C63 last year from an E55 they were one of the first mentioned tuners(MHP) when I read up and searched the forums.

4. Buckhead Imports is bigger in the E55 than in the C63, my apologies, I should have been more clear. In the W211 AMG forum they get a lot of love, but not much here but I have seen dynos of their C63 and other of the 63 platforms. I have yet to read a negative review of them.
Here is a more recent thread of theirs and a E63 dyno is included in the thread.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ning-sale.html

These choices are of a personal log of my own, I'm not saying these are the ONLY companies. Maybe we should create a sticky for tuners without starting a tuner war for everyone to read.

Last edited by johnnyblaze; 01-25-2013 at 07:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
No one mentions Weistec? lol
Old 01-25-2013, 07:41 PM

CLS63S
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
No one mentions Weistec? lol

Let me add them in... updated my list LOL.

changed some verbage :P

Last edited by johnnyblaze; 01-25-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 AMG GTR
Originally Posted by loungn14
We can easily help you with that when your ready. We offer safe and proven power, and can easily CUSTOM tune you as well when needed. We can either sell you a remote handheld flasher or you can stop in at one of our locations or our dealers around the world.

With just the tune the sound will be awesome. We open the throttle body more and some people have said it sounds like they added and exhaust!

The cars run extremely rich (lots of fuel) from the factory, and most tuners like us remove some of that fuel. You will actually make more power when doing that (along with other things) as well as gain mpg in the process!

Just like was previously mentioned, do your homework on your tuner of choice. Make sure they have been around for a while and know the platform, have a ton of happy customer references, and are available if you have any issues during the process or post tune!

I would not get a tune from anyone who claims you will gain mpg by leaning out your car in open loop..... you car gets leaned out in open loop which is only at wide open throttle. your car runs at a stoichiometric ratio at part throttle which is not changed with a tune. your oxygen sensors and maf, etc all keep the af ratio at stoich until you go wot.....any tuner that doesn't know that doesn't know what they are doing.

maybe you aren't the tuner, just the Internet salesperson, hype creator, that is fine but I suggest you figure out what it is you guys are really doing before you post it online.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:34 PM

2004 SL55
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
I would not get a tune from anyone who claims you will gain mpg by leaning out your car in open loop..... you car gets leaned out in open loop which is only at wide open throttle. your car runs at a stoichiometric ratio at part throttle which is not changed with a tune. your oxygen sensors and maf, etc all keep the af ratio at stoich until you go wot.....any tuner that doesn't know that doesn't know what they are doing.

maybe you aren't the tuner, just the Internet salesperson, hype creator, that is fine but I suggest you figure out what it is you guys are really doing before you post it online.
This might get good...
Old 01-26-2013, 02:41 PM

audi>mercedes-benz
Speedriven
Old 02-04-2013, 02:13 PM

2011 C63, '78 LS1 280Z, '71 240Zt, '87 Grand National, '01 F150
Stoichiometric at part throttle? Under all circumstances? Learn something new everyday. If the factory tune does try to keep the ratio stoichiometric at everything besides WOT, I would think there is a ton of room for improvement. Forgive me if this has been discussed before but I'm new to tuning these cars, spending all of my time with American LSx platforms and Electromotive standalone on boosted older Japanese six cylinders.

Joe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is the recommended tune?