Rear Facing Infant Seat

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 01:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Rear Facing Infant Seat

Hi Guys --

I know this has come up before, I was just wondering what recommendations you all have for rear-facing infant seats for the C63

Thanks!

JB
Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
make sure you secure it well

search is your friend I had a rear facing one and had no issues... we have a convertible now and that's also working well. My one suggestion is that you might want to put a blanket inbetween the carseat and the actual seat to protect the leather.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...their-c63.html

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...car-seats.html
Old 02-11-2013, 02:05 PM

C63
Thanks Fung - I was going nuts searching last night! Do you recall what model you had? I need to get something that will either 1) fit in the middle seat; or 2) not completely restrict front seat movement. My wife and I are both pretty short (5'7" and 5'4") -- so hopefully we will be fine...
Old 02-11-2013, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jblaw
Thanks Fung - I was going nuts searching last night! Do you recall what model you had? I need to get something that will either 1) fit in the middle seat; or 2) not completely restrict front seat movement. My wife and I are both pretty short (5'7" and 5'4") -- so hopefully we will be fine...
Hi jblaw,

We have the peg perego viaggio sip infant seat. We picked this one cause it has the addon to make it fit our stokke stroller. since our daughter outgrew it, we have a britax boulevard convertible now.

to be honest, as long as they meet the safety standards, there are not too many difference in car seats... sure there is difference in design and the odd feature but front, rear, and side impact are all pretty close. The SIP i have focused on side impact which i thought was important.

My wife and I are also roughly the same height as you and your wife... we installed the rear facing seat behind the passenger chair and although it does move the chair up, she was still comfortable. We didnt like the seat to be in the middle because it was a pain reaching so far into the car.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM

'08 CLS63
Get a convertible...I used the proride until recently as she fits better in a prosport now that she's almost 6...cat beat the safety IMO!

http://www.recaro-cs.com/us/product/...o-proride.html

John
Old 02-11-2013, 03:09 PM

We used the Peg PV SIP for the infant seat also...just need the base in each car and then the seat clicks in and out and can be used on compatable strollers as well...that said...the amount of times I used my car with our infant, I could have just installed the convertable seat in my car and installed it rear facing (have to buy one down the road anyway)...most can handle a newborn in rear facing mode, then change it to forward facing when your kid is about 1.5. In my wifes car we have the peg infant seat and a Britax Boulevard for our 3 year old...in my C63 Coupe, I have just a britax marathon front facing for our 3 year old and we do not use my car if we are taking the little one. I heard the brand new Peg Perego convertable seat is very good and it looks cooler then the Britax also...also heard the footprint is smaller then the Britax...might check that out when the time comes for another seat.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:14 PM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
I'm using this in mine. Cramped for me to sit in front of, not bad for the 5"3' wife.

http://www.gracobaby.com/Products/Pa...ductId=1749642
Old 02-11-2013, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
As has previously been noted, any stroller/seat you buy will conform to whatever standards your local requires for baby seats (different countries and states and what not have different requirements, but for the most part, they are all similar).

I recommend you pick one not based on your car, but rather on how long you expect your kid to be in it. They vary in weights and sizes, and if you expect your kid to remain within a certain weight category, get a seat that matches, if you go too small, you may find yourself paying for another seat that is only going to be used for a few extra pounds (which could be a few months).

We went with the Chico Keyfit 30, it goes up to 30 pounds, so we hopefully will be able to use it a bit longer, but our kid (only 9 months old), has almost outgrown it. He is not fat wife and I are just both over 6 feet tall. That leads to problem number 2, which you may have seen in the other threads posted earlier in this one. Due to the heft of the seat (it is well built and somewhat bulky), it has to go on the passenger side, and I have to move the seat and the seat back way forward, to the point no one can sit in the front.

Some convenience notes..
Get a seat that uses removable bases, its a real pain to have to strap a seat in with the kid in it, or try to put a kid into a seat already mounted in the car (some people just leave a baby seat in the car permanently, which also leaves marks on the leather).

Another note.. while we have a reasonable trunk.. my stroller does not fit in there without first removing the wheels. I have a Baby Jogger stroller (which attachment to mount the seat on it). It is one of those running ones with huge air filled wheels. when I do manage to get all the stroller stuff in the trunk, I end up having to put the Diaper Dude (yes.. I have one, and I refuse to call it a Diaper Bag ) either on the front seat, or next to the kid in the read since it won't fit int he trunk with the stroller... The kid knows how to grab the bag.. unzip it.. and dump everything on the seats and floor.. and then promptly grabs something bad.. usually hand sanitizer and sticks it in his mouth.. since apparently that is what he does for everything that he is curious about.. "oh.. hey look.. something new... lets eat it"
Old 02-12-2013, 02:55 PM

C63
Thanks guys, this is helpful. Baby will be in the car less than once a week -- I wonder if I should just skip right to the Recaro convertible............
Old 02-12-2013, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jblaw
Thanks guys, this is helpful. Baby will be in the car less than once a week -- I wonder if I should just skip right to the Recaro convertible............
as long as the recaro is designed to handle a newborn. if so why not.... say some money in for the long run.

We dont have recaros here in Canada... alot of our convertibles start from 20ish lbs and up... you just might want to make sure.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I spent countless of hours on this as it was the first thing one needs to get the baby home. I finally decided to go with Chicco Key fit 30.
Based on memory, here is why:
1.Most bases didn't have a vertical wall that touches the back of the car's seat. Imagine if you are rear ended, you need the seat to not roll up and face plant the baby to the backrest. A few high ends had this vertical wall that helps prevent this risk. Look at the vertical aspect of the base on the right of the picture. Nice and tall!

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  6.0 KB

Alternatively consider floor tethers:

Attachment 253229

2. Not the lightest, but not the heaviest.
3. Higher weight capacity, for bigger babies.
4. Safety standards are minimum requirements. Just compare the head and side bolsters and see how much more coverage you get with a key fit 30 compare to lesser brands. I also thought that if someone drops the carrier upside down, like when it's attached in a stroller and it flips, that the sides would hit the ground first and not the baby's face! Call me crazy!
5. You don't want to remove a sleeping baby from a convertible seat.
6. Pick your baby seat and install an additional base in your car. I had one seat and three bases.

Remember that rear facing is safest and should be maintain as long as possible. My boy's legs started to bunch up before he reached the weight limit and that's when he moved to a convertible.

Last edited by cyberorth; 02-12-2013 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
have prorides and prosports, i like them both, but they are odd for rear facing...in a small car,

how old is the kid, if small go with the chicco system, its excellent
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
@Cyberorth.

Same one I have.. and it works great with the baby jogger strollers too... but it does get heavy fast.. especially with a baby in it..

In fact. for every 2 min you hold the carrier and the child.. it gets 5 pounds heavier :P Well at least it feels that way.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:19 PM

C63
Thanks again guys. Do the C63 seats actually take up more room than the regular C-Class seats?
Old 02-14-2013, 01:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes indeed. Some of the fattest I've seen; atleast the sedan is like that.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
@Cyberorth.

Same one I have.. and it works great with the baby jogger strollers too... but it does get heavy fast.. especially with a baby in it..

In fact. for every 2 min you hold the carrier and the child.. it gets 5 pounds heavier :P Well at least it feels that way.
It's a good workout for all the food you ate to keep up with the pregnant lady...
I definitely gained a few, just because junk and fast food was allowed as well as fatty foods during pregnancy.