C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 Coupe long tube headers - Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
C63 Coupe long tube headers - Help

Hello fellow amg'ers I have a 2012 c63 coupe I recently ordered MBh tri y long tube headers with catless mid pipes ... I have been debating on whether to go X , H or resonated straight from what I hear the x pipe will give me the best exhaust gas scavenging resulting in superior mid range power but is it really that much of a power difference has anyone compared different crossovers ? The h pipe would be a good medium still connecting both banks but IMO offering superior sound

Another question for guys who have done the headers with x pipe.. How is the sound in person/ in cabin driving ? No YouTube warriors please I'd like opinions from first hand experience .. Does the exhaust still pop and crackle on decel/ overrun with the merged gases ?

Trying to figure out my setup and would appreciate help
Old 03-13-2013, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
It was pretty much determined years ago that these motors work best with an X pipe, especially with a cat delete. I have been running that set up on my 63s for five years.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
With the x-pipe you will have the highest gains, like jrcart said. These cars love backpressure and the way the x-pipe is, it creates just enough, without disturbing flow. H-pipes are usually used the most without having long tube headers. Doing the straight pipes will cause the car to crackle and break up on deceleration.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:14 AM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by jrcart
It was pretty much determined years ago that these motors work best with an X pipe, especially with a cat delete. I have been running that set up on my 63s for five years.
Thanks for the response I love your 2 weistec beasts ! I have a 2012 coupe so I haven't been around these forums long I had never seen this discussed in detail. I will be fully catless so I guess straight pipe is out of the question I dont want to lose that mid range punch. I've heard in other cars with similar engines that 90 degree V8's love x pipes and h pipes due to the unbalanced firing order of the cylinders. Was an H pipe ever tried on a lth c63? I have personally always liked the sound of an h pipe over an x pipe it's sound rawer and crackles but going by what other are saying about long tubes on the m156 the quieter / smoother sound of the x pipe might be good to calm down the madness of a fully catless lth m156

My YouTube warrior comment was made because most videos get distorted and don't capture the real sound but the weistec videos from the no fly zone event and the last burnout videos capture great sounds from your c63 bs !! Sounds so naughty I love it ! From what I understand you are running tri-ys with 2" primaries and an x pipe correct? Besides the fact of your supercharger our setups would sound similar and I might be sold on the xpipe !

What's your view on the sound in cabin and WOT? Does it still pop and crackle on deceleration / overrun?
Old 03-14-2013, 12:20 AM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
With the x-pipe you will have the highest gains, like jrcart said. These cars love backpressure and the way the x-pipe is, it creates just enough, without disturbing flow. H-pipes are usually used the most without having long tube headers. Doing the straight pipes will cause the car to crackle and break up on deceleration.
Thanks for the response !! Yes I figured the small h pipe in the stock resonator isn't enough to balance the flow on both banks. I've noticed a lot of guys like the h pipe for secondary cat deletes so it should in theory sound even better fully catless lth but I'm not sure how the power would be and if it would be enough to balance both banks. The crackle and pops are some of my favorite things about this car and I'd hate if the x pipe eliminated them ! But maybe it wouldn't since there will be much more flow now .. Hope some one with experience can chime in
Old 03-14-2013, 05:01 PM

C63 Coupe
Bumpity? Looking to purchase these ASAP since I got the headers otw already
Old 03-16-2013, 03:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Vath ML63 Brabus C63 SL63 CLK63BS C63BS
I have h pipe on my clk63 with hiflow primary cats and longtube headers but no secondaries and the cracklingis pretty crazy, even with about 2 footlong resonators on each side to get the volume down. I love it. I presume that having higher flowing or no cats at all is the key to crackling as it allows more unburnt fuel to get into the exhaust system and ignite in the exhaust gases, can anyone comment??

I want even more crackling in my C63 BS and am putting 200cell cats on it this week while kleeman supercharger install is done to try and achieve this. Next step is electronic cutouts perhaps. Not doing headers as the noise is to hard to contain I think. My other 3 cars that have long tubes are really annoying my neighbours and almost preventing me from driving my cars as aggressively as I like as they are so loud when you hammer it!
Old 08-08-2013, 03:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 AMG Coupe
bump. have an h-pipe now in place of my secondary cats and wondering how that will work with mbh headers.....