Aquamist HFS-Meth/Water Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Aquamist HFS-Meth/Water Kit

Hey guys,

I have been doing some research and I am kinda wondering why no one is running these kits (link below) especially guys that don't have 93+ octane locally.

I am thinking of getting something like this but I really don't know to much about meth kits and how they work other then that they basically enhance fuel. Would running these kits be safe for our engines? How about with a supercharger? Gains?

Thanks for the advice

http://howertonengineering.com/products/
Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not really familiar with it, but I heard that a car can catch on fire if the car gets overheated or something like that. Correct me if I'm wrong, not sure
Old 03-20-2013, 03:27 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Lol I am sure that can happen but I am not to worried about that happening. I am also sure that is more likely to happen with nitrous?

From what was explained to me you have a mixture of both water and meth which I am sure makes it lets flammable. What was recommended was to run a 50/50 water to meth ratio. But from what I understood you can also mess around to find what ratio works best for the car?
Old 03-20-2013, 03:29 PM

Yes, I guess. That's why I'm said not sure, but I heard about this when having only meth
Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Most of these water/meth kits are used on supercharged or turbocharged vehicles to help cool the combustion chamber allowing you to run more boost and timing safely.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:05 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Originally Posted by PetroC63
Most of these water/meth kits are used on supercharged or turbocharged vehicles to help cool the combustion chamber allowing you to run more boost and timing safely.
So that is the reason why most of the guys around here don't run meth since we are naturally aspirated, makes sense now. So if anything in a way you are saying that with a supercharger it would make more sense to run a meth, right?

Thanks Petro

Is anyone with a supercharger running meth?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:08 PM

c63
correct meth kits are for forced induction cars or high compression engines, my old z06 had meth kit since it was 13:5 1 ratio and need a higher octance count. it could be done are our cars i assume
Old 03-20-2013, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Blown63
So that is the reason why most of the guys around here don't run meth since we are naturally aspirated, makes sense now. So if anything in a way you are saying that with a supercharger it would make more sense to run a meth, right?

Thanks Petro

Is anyone with a supercharger running meth?
Correct.

You won't find many/if any C63 supercharged owners here using meth. Most are running Weistec kits. The Weistec kits are very efficient and they tend to stay away from over spinning the blower which will keep efficiency up and temperatures down.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
nitrous not flammable
Old 03-20-2013, 04:36 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Originally Posted by PetroC63
Correct.

You won't find many/if any C63 supercharged owners here using meth. Most are running Weistec kits. The Weistec kits are very efficient and they tend to stay away from over spinning the blower which will keep efficiency up and temperatures down.
I am sorry can you do me a favor and re-explain that last sentence again for me. Would running meth over spin the the blower? Excuse my ignorance
Old 03-20-2013, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
97 Porsche GT2 Wide Bodied Cabrio, Mercedes G500
I am sorry can you do me a favor and re-explain that last sentence again for me. Would running meth over spin the the blower? Excuse my ignorance
Meth won't over spin the blower. Superchargers are belt driven and the pulleys govern how fast they spin.

A smaller dia pulley is used to over spin the supercharger (usually results in more hp... have to weigh the heat soak vs hp and see if it's worth it)

I think what he was trying to say is that if you over spin a superchager with a smaller pulley more heat is created (intake air temp). That is when a meth kit may be required to lower those temps.

Last edited by Rsquad911; 03-20-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Rsquad911
Meth won't over spin the blower. Superchargers are belt driven and the pulleys govern how fast they spin.

A smaller dia pulley is used to over spin the supercharger (usually results in more hp... have to weigh the heat soak vs hp and see if it's worth it)

I think what he was trying to say is that if you over spin a superchager with a smaller pulley more heat is created (intake air temp). That is when a meth kit may be required to lower those temps.
Exactly.

Thank you.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
Meth kits are hot among turbo cars. Now its e85.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:51 PM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
Meth kits are hot among turbo cars. Now its e85.
So the general consensus is a no go, I really thought there would have been a some positive gains from this. No biggy (just an idea) I guess I'll just have to purchase a barrel of race gas any recommendations of what kind?

What about NOS kits? Is there a system out there for our cars? After reading the positive things jrcart had to say about his car running nos I would be interested to look into a kit. Can anyone provide info?

Thanks guys
Old 03-21-2013, 01:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
e63s edition 1
Hold on there scotty,
I thought you running a blower already?

If you are looking for sustainable HP increase then then pully's for you is where its at, that is going to bring its own hoast of issues if you want to sustain it for say longer than 5 - 10 min. (read-- heatsoak)

now on the other hand you only want a quick shot then NOS is the way to go.. But seeing as you have a blower already I wold rather go that route.

So the general consensus is a no go, I really thought there would have been a some positive gains from this. No biggy (just an idea) I guess I'll just have to purchase a barrel of race gas any recommendations of what kind?

What about NOS kits? Is there a system out there for our cars? After reading the positive things jrcart had to say about his car running nos I would be interested to look into a kit. Can anyone provide info?

Thanks guys
Old 03-21-2013, 01:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
You can run meth on our cars with positive gains. Here is more info on meth inection for naturally asperated engines. http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/index.html
Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 AM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Originally Posted by sighting
Hold on there scotty,
I thought you running a blower already?

If you are looking for sustainable HP increase then then pully's for you is where its at, that is going to bring its own hoast of issues if you want to sustain it for say longer than 5 - 10 min. (read-- heatsoak)

now on the other hand you only want a quick shot then NOS is the way to go.. But seeing as you have a blower already I wold rather go that route.
Scotty?? lol haha

My car is at my shop now, what do you mean by pully's? is there something on the market you are talking about?

Thanks I think nos is a better route to after thinking about it.

loshea--thanks for the link
Old 03-21-2013, 01:44 AM

e63s edition 1
I though you had a Weistec Blower..

When it comes to NOS seek our DADs63 on here, he has put the 6,2 through many rounds of the giggle gas.

Ironically, they actually have METH kits that uses a NOS tank as the fluid reservoir

as for pulleys if you are running a supercharger its belt driven of your crank vs air from your exhaust like a turbo.. changing the diameter of the pulley changes the speed it turns the supercharger, which in turn produces more pressure aka boost.

Scotty?? lol haha

My car is at my shop now, what do you mean by pully's? is there something on the market you are talking about?

Thanks I think nos is a better route to after thinking about it.

loshea--thanks for the link

Last edited by sighting; 03-21-2013 at 01:46 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:51 AM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Originally Posted by sighting
I though you had a Weistec Blower..

When it comes to NOS seek our DADs63 on here, he has put the 6,2 through many rounds of the giggle gas.

Ironically, they actually have METH kits that uses a NOS tank as the fluid reservoir
"Giggle gas"

I do, I have a stage 3 getting installed, but I think I misread what you were saying about the pully's. What did you mean by this...

"If you are looking for sustainable HP increase then then pully's for you is where its at, that is going to bring its own hoast of issues if you want to sustain it for say longer than 5 - 10 min."

Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 01:58 AM

e63s edition 1
sorry ipad auto correct on some words..

your supercharger uses pulleys and you have the best in the business going into yours.

i would be surprised if they (Weistec) have not spoken to you about options of cooling.. are you looking for some extra HP?

Weistec can probably build you a 1000HP engine if needed.

PM dads63 and ask him about the limits. then talk to Weistec about the implications of said NOS on their system. Dont think anyone here is running their system with NOS so talk to them about it.

sounds like you are building a wonderful machine.. would love to see it in action.

"Giggle gas"

I do, I have a stage 3 getting installed, but I think I misread what you were saying about the pully's. What did you mean by this...

"If you are looking for sustainable HP increase then then pully's for you is where its at, that is going to bring its own hoast of issues if you want to sustain it for say longer than 5 - 10 min."

Thanks
Old 03-21-2013, 02:25 AM

2012 C63 coupe P31/LSD
Its Methanol, basically the same as antifreeze. When the alcohol and water mix is sprayed into the combustion chamber, it creates a huge cooling effect. Water mix cools and reduces the volatility of the alcohol. The alcohol cools the intake temps, cleans the intake valves and acts as an octane enhancer. I like it better than N2o bec it lasts for a few days to a week, its cheap to refill and the power is there all the time. A 50/50 mix is equal to 100 octane gas or maybe even 105, I don't remember for sure how much.
Problem is you need a very good tuner who has experience with meth and your specific car to tune your engine to the exact mixture you will run. If your methanol / water mix changes, your tune will be off. If your methanol tank runs out of mixture, you will run way too lean and blow your engine (although Aquamist has a safety valve that shuts you down or warns you if you run out of mixture). I've heard of Other things go wrong, like leaks etc. fire is a hazard only if you mix more that 50% meth. Since boosted engines are more octane selective and have hotter intake air temps, it's most effective on turbos and supercharges. But some M3 guys are running meth on their N/A engines. They say their cars run like its 60 degrees on a 100 degree day. You can find more info on the M3 forums.
Personally, I would not want to be the first or even the 3 rd guy to trying this on my car. I would only do it after it has been thoroughly tested.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:24 AM

2015 CLS63 S-AMG
Originally Posted by AMG9
Its Methanol, basically the same as antifreeze. When the alcohol and water mix is sprayed into the combustion chamber, it creates a huge cooling effect. Water mix cools and reduces the volatility of the alcohol. The alcohol cools the intake temps, cleans the intake valves and acts as an octane enhancer. I like it better than N2o bec it lasts for a few days to a week, its cheap to refill and the power is there all the time. A 50/50 mix is equal to 100 octane gas or maybe even 105, I don't remember for sure how much.
Problem is you need a very good tuner who has experience with meth and your specific car to tune your engine to the exact mixture you will run. If your methanol / water mix changes, your tune will be off. If your methanol tank runs out of mixture, you will run way too lean and blow your engine (although Aquamist has a safety valve that shuts you down or warns you if you run out of mixture). I've heard of Other things go wrong, like leaks etc. fire is a hazard only if you mix more that 50% meth. Since boosted engines are more octane selective and have hotter intake air temps, it's most effective on turbos and supercharges. But some M3 guys are running meth on their N/A engines. They say their cars run like its 60 degrees on a 100 degree day. You can find more info on the M3 forums.
Personally, I would not want to be the first or even the 3 rd guy to trying this on my car. I would only do it after it has been thoroughly tested.
Thank you for the detailed response, I agree with your last sentence I was honestly only considering this if it was a simple 6-800 dollar mod and wouldn't be harmful. If tuning and other stuff are involved and needed I really don't care to go through all the hassle.

Nos seems like the more simple system but then again I thought the same thing about the meth kit. I am in no means experienced with either topic.

sighting- thanks man, I don't think I understand exactly what kind of a monster this is going to become not that I am underestimating the power, I just don't think I can't fathom the idea of all that power
Old 03-21-2013, 06:53 PM

C63
What ever your gains are going to be it's quite a headache and not worth it. Even at 50/50 it's flammable. Save up and build the motor and jump 200whp safely.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:51 AM

2012 C63 coupe P31/LSD
Thank you for the detailed response, I agree with your last sentence I was honestly only considering this if it was a simple 6-800 dollar mod and wouldn't be harmful. If tuning and other stuff are involved and needed I really don't care to go through all the hassle.

Nos seems like the more simple system but then again I thought the same thing about the meth kit. I am in no means experienced with either topic.

sighting- thanks man, I don't think I understand exactly what kind of a monster this is going to become not that I am underestimating the power, I just don't think I can't fathom the idea of all that power

No prob. Btw If you have an air to air intercooler on your supercharged C63, you can set up the meth/H20 mix to spray on your intercooler. This is not as effective as having it spray inside your intake tract, but it will still cool down your intake temps and prevent heat soak. You can even have it run automatically via a thermostat activated switch. You don't need a tune for this and it's pretty safe bec it's external.