C63 507 VS MY2015

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
C63 507 VS MY2015

Hi hi all

I have been a long time reader/lurker first time writer. Thought I would finally sign up as I will be getting a C63 within the next 2-3 years. I know this is still a while off but hey im getting there!

I am currently driving a C250 and will be looking for an upgrade however I am torn between what I should do.

I have seen the new C63 507 edition and it looks great! In Australia it will be $170,000 + On road costs. Now because it costs so much more in Australia I need to make a very strategic decision based on re sale value and also factor in the new 2015 model coming in soon. So my questions are

1. What does everyone think of the C63 507, is it worth getting over a normal C63? There is probably a $20,000 difference in Australia.
2. What do people think is the smarter choice, a C63 507 in a year to 1.5 years time or waiting the 2-3 years required and getting a MY2015 once they get announced/released in Australia?
3. Will getting a C63 507 only to have a new model replace it a year later effect the resale value + would it be a stupid move?

I think because I am fairly new to the mercedes and car scene I am not too sure what happens when models get phased out. For example what happened to the old C63 models when the new W204 came into play? Was there a significant difference between the models, did it effect resale value, etc etc.

Also another main factor is that the 6.2L engine is being replaced in the 2015 model. This is huge as it may no longer even be a C63! It could end up being a C55 or something :S (Who knows)

Thoughts and feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-02-2013, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Obviously wait till the new gen comes out before playing with that much cake.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 PM

C250
Thanks for the feedback! Is this the general consensus? It seems obvious but

1. It seems to far away!
2. Like i said before I am not sure how big a difference the new gen will be to the old gen. Will it be such an improvement that I will regret purchasing a 507 and also stuff up the resale value?

Worst thing you want is to get a 507 love it for 2 years then regret your choice after seeing the new improved, faster, slicker 2015 model
Old 04-02-2013, 11:57 PM

C63 AMG, C36 AMG, SL500
Originally Posted by MrMoo
Hi hi all

3. Will getting a C63 507 only to have a new model replace it a year later effect the resale value + would it be a stupid move?
New models always affect the resale values of the one it replaced. However the 6.3 Litre will likely be loved if its the last of the big NA V8's. If thats what you want/love about the car then go for it. Some replacements have stayed more popular and valuable than their replacements for a while. The 88 3.2 911 replaced by the 89 964 had the 3.2 worth more for some time during the 2000's here in Australia. Having said that I think there are to many C63's here in Oz to starts a collectors market based on the NA V8. Buying near the end of a model run often means the small problems and reliablity issues have been sorted by the factory (e.g. head bolts). No correct answer here and good luck with what you decide.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
this is really tough as no one knows exactly what the MY2015 C AMG will look like and performs atm... it is all speculation.

I think a couple of points only you can answer for yourself is...

- do you like the current gen? (i am thinking yes since you mentioned that NA 6.2l)
- will you be ok with a 5.5 with TT or whatever it will end up to be... most are speculating it wont be NA for sure
- do you like the current styling vs the newer MB styling... the CLA, B, CLS... will all kind of give you an idea where MB is heading with the C
-what are you going to do between now and when you can finally get your hands on a MY2015 or even the 507? many members would have already switched cars by then lolz.

maybe you can pick up a normal C63 and just have fun with it till you make up your mind or more info is released for the MY2015 C AMG
Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Just buy the thing and worry about 2015 when it arrives. If Julia gets back in none of us will be able to afford a new car anyway.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Well, my prediction is that JuLIAR will not get back!!
Anyway..the 507?
Well, undoubtedly it will be a good car...507HP in a "C" has gotta be good.
However, the "New" C63 ain't very far away, & bearing that in mind, I wouldn't be spending $180K on a car that may very soon be superceded by something that is markedly superior......sure, we don't know much about the "New" C63 do we?.......but one thing's for sure....AMG DON'T go backwards.
So, I'd be waiting....see what the new car's all about, then make ya decision.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:55 AM

BMW
I am in precisely the same situation as you OP! I currently have a rather dear BMW that I am looking to trade for the 507 when it is released in a few months BUT there is no overlooking the fact that a new model will be released very soon.

This will impact on the resale but who cares about losing a few grand if you are going to enjoy the heck out of the 507 (I don't mind!)

The new C63 will be superior. There is no doubt in my mind about that.
Things that concern me about the new car is the size (I don't want larger!) and also the sound of the engine which will be a TT 4.0L according to sources. Will it be able to compete with the aural ability of the current 6.2L NA C63?

Have a look at the new E-Class coupe - if Benz introduce that vein of styling to the new C-Class WOW! Marvellous.

Again price should come second (in my humble opinion) since if you are spending this much on a car then you are buying the experience and sense of occassion each and everytime you drive it. You also probably don't need the cash for anything better!!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Too far off to worry. Forget about it for now otherwise you will beat yourself up every day for the next year (or however long) thinking about it too much.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:44 AM

2012 C63
I would hang tight until the next generation C-class gets released. At least you'll have some idea of what the next AMG C?? might look like and whether or not any of the new toys / features might appeal to you. I would hate to get the 507 edition knowing that the new (potentially better) model is around the corner. There was a big generational jump from the C55 to the C63.

Or you could wait for the new AMG C?? to be formally announced. You could pick up the old (current 63) model as a run out if you didn't like the new one. There is always a big lag before we get the new ones in Aus after their announcement overseas.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
wait for MY2018...its gonna be a doozie
Old 04-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63 Coupe
I would suggest it would be a mistake to buy a car in its' first 2 production years. Problems need time to surface and then be sorted. By that time it is 2017, so get the 507 now and in 2017 or '18 you can switch if you so desire.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:01 PM

C63AMG Coupe
I avoid being a beta tester anymore. If you want to keep and regularly drive the car for several years I would avoid the initial production year from any manufacturer. The base model 63 I drive has more power than it can put to the ground on factory rubber . Now with AWD, it could plant that power better- as seen with the new AWD E63.
Buy a used 2012,3 C63 now and regroup in a few years , it will be 2016 before they got the bugs out of the 2015.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:29 PM

C250
Thanks for all the feedback guys.

A good point brought up by several people, beta testing cars. I guess the advantage of getting a car at the end of its life cycle is that all the kinks are almost gone so I would be able to drive this thing for quite some time. This is something I did not think of and I didn't even know was a major issue? I guess the first few years of production can lead time random unforeseen errors.

Another point some people have pointed out is that by the time the kinks are all gone it will be 2017 2018 I can probably get a new car by then or circumstances would of changed (Children etc) Where I won't even be able to get this car anymore!

So basically I guess I am leaning towards either getting a 507 C63 and driving the hell out of it until 2018 2019 before getting a new car or getting a used C63 or a run out model C63 and driving it until 2016 2017 and getting the new MY2015.

Long story short my new C63 will be with me in the next 1-2 years!

Unless of course someone can see a reason I should not?
Old 04-04-2013, 04:50 AM

BMW
Good points re the Beta testing. I have been in this situation before. I once purchased a BMW 135i in the first year of manufacture. It was NOT the first production cycle ever and I thought because of this most of the major faults would have been ironed out. I was wrong - rear LED parking lights failed, rear middle brake light cracked, fuel pump kept giving errors, interior rattles. I was given a loan 135i when the car was in for repairs and I noted that they had deliberate factory fixes for the interior rattles I experienced. Fuel pumps, rear lights were revised. So things do improve. I sold it after 1.5 years of ownership.

I learnt from that and applied the principle before buying my next car.

Every manufacturer suffers from this - it's expected. A bit like any pharmaceutical drug released onto the market - the drug company will likely receive many reports of [undocumented] problems once the drug is used in the community at large despite investing millions upon millions of dollars into its development and testing.

Waiting until several production cycles have elapsed before buying a new car at this price before jumping in is not bad advice...
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM

2010 C63 AMG
Sometimes it's best to look at it in terms of 'bang for the buck'. The 507 edition has a bit more power and better brakes. Everything else is cosmetic. Better brakes are good for racing a car on the track, since they will not fade as quickly. If you're worried about resale value, then you probably won't be risking the car at the track. A normal C63 has plenty good brakes. The power difference you can make up with a tune.

I've never understood why people buy the black series either for the same exact reason. The bang for the buck just ins't there. But to each their own!
Old 04-04-2013, 02:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many to list
From Auto Blog...

Buyers wanting a little more power from a standard Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG now have the all-new Edition 507 to lust after. As its name suggests, this new model features a more powerful 507-horsepower AMG V8, and it also gets plenty of performance and styling upgrades as well. Unlike the Black Series, the 2014 C63 AMG Edition 507 will be offered in both sedan and coupe body styles when it goes on sale this summer; based on the images, it appears that European customers will also be able to enjoy the Edition 507 in extra-tasty wagon flavor.

Mercedes-Benz squeezed more power from the C63's sublime 6.2-liter V8 with many of the same ideas used in the SLS AMG including forged pistons, new connecting rods and lighter crankshaft, which also help to drop more than six pounds from the engine's overall weight. Along with the new internal components, the Edition 507 also gets a remapped engine controller helping the mill put out the 507 hp and 450 pound-feet of torque (the standard C63 AMG is rated at 451 hp and 443 lb-ft). This new model also comes standard with upgraded brakes consisting of 14.2-inch, two-piece front rotors to go with six-piston front and four-piston rear calipers, all painted red.

Adding to the visual aspect of the C63 AMG, the Edition 507 gets stylish five-spoke 19-inch alloy wheels (available in a high-sheen titanium gray or matte black), a vented hood carried over from the Black Series, AMG stripes on the rocker panels and gloss black accents on the grille, rear spoiler and mirrors. Inside, the exclusive package also adds a sport steering wheel wrapped in Alcantara, red accents in the gauge cluster and lots of high-gloss piano black accents throughout the cabin. An "Edition 507" badge is mounted on the passenger side of the instrument panel, and finishes off the unique interior.

The 2014 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Edition 507 will make its debut in March at the Geneva Motor Show, but until then, check out the gallery of images along with the official press release posted below. The price for the car has not been announced, but it will include a a voucher for the owner to attend the AMG Driving Academy.
Go here for more pics and to DOWNLOAD wallpaper:

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-5609840/

NEW:

The current Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG may be in the autumn of its years, but it's still one of our very favorite sport sedans. Ever. Yes, its paddle-shift transmission may not always follow orders, but with stupendous levels of thrust from its charismatic naturally aspirated 6.2-liter V8, ebullient rear-wheel-drive dynamics and that noise, we frankly don't care that it's getting on a bit.

As a sendoff of sorts for the current generation, Mercedes-Benz has just introduced a new Edition 507 model at the Geneva Motor Show, with 507 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque – an increase of 56 horses over the standard car. Mercedes credits the substitution of low-mass internals from the SLS AMG gullwing for the power bump, a tactic shared with the AMG Development Package upgrade that has been subsumed by this Edition 507. 0-60 is quoted at 4.1 seconds and top speed at 174 mph.

The Edition 507 borrows its aluminum hood from the C63 AMG Black Series Coupe, along with spidery new 19-inch wheels in either titanium gray finish or matte black with shiny rim flanges. As seen on our gallery car above, a sports striping package is also featured, as are glossy black grille, daytime running lamps, spoiler and mirror caps.
Pricing has not yet been announced, but the car will be coming to North America in 2013 in both sedan and coupe formats.
Attached Thumbnails C63 507 VS MY2015-2014-mercedes-c63-507.jpg   C63 507 VS MY2015-1.jpg  

Last edited by From M to AMG; 04-04-2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:22 PM

C250
Interesting point on bang for your buck.

Here is a question from left field then.

C63 vs C63 507 edition

You are correct I most likely will not be using it on the track but I will probably want to squeeze a bit of power out of it and have some fun on the roads. Keeping in mind that with the terrible Australian speed limits I won't be able to utilize the full 507 horsepower very often. Breaks you have already touched on.

In terms of visual I am a bit fan of the vented hood but I actually do not like the new alloy wheels compared to the old alloys, also those little strips at the bottom of the door as kind of necessary for me. So visually speaking I only like the hood.

Finally resale value, I assumed the 507 edition would retain better resale value than the C63 standard edition as currently the market is quite saturated with these. So a 507 with the new looks would retain better value. (This is just guess work)

Anyways typing this out is sort of making me steer towards a C63, as there is no point paying $20000 more dollars for a vented hood, allows which I am not too fond of and some extra horse power which will barely be utilized. And whatever resale value it retains over a C63 should be lower than $20000 I would think?
Old 04-05-2013, 04:10 AM

(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

"$20,000 extra"?....If you factor in the cost of the present "Performance Package", which in the land of "Rape costs", is in the vicinity of $15K, the difference in cost between the P.P. current C63, & the 507, may not be very much. I do know that in Aus, the 507 will actually replace the P.P., so you would think that costing would not be too much different.
So, if ya gonna buy a car now, & not wait for the "New" C63, I'd go for the 507...that is, if Ya're NOT prepared to wait....which I would,.....'cause when details of the "new" car become available, which will be a considerable time before you can actually own it, there will be plenty of 507s around for you to buy....if you still want to.
Just be patient for, I reckon maybe 6 months, & all your questions could be answered?
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
And to confuse you even further with your decision don't forget that in Australia at least the C63 undercut the previous model (C55) by over 20K when it was released.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:23 AM

C250
lol wtf gg.... i did not know that. The c63 has been steadily going down in price and there are introductions of new AMG models A45 and CLA45. To be honest I would not be surprised to see the C63 go down a bit in price. Although It would still probably be in the 140-160k price range. I don't think that is a major issue, more so the regret of getting a dud model =( hah

I think im still heavily leaning towards the 507 though as it is an end of line model with very little kinks in the car so it will last a good 4-6 years. And after 4-6 years who knows I may need to be getting a bigger car due to a bigger family =(
Old 04-08-2013, 10:16 AM

C63 AMG P30 + OE Tuning
yea i'd have to lean on the 507 too.. but anyways, its up to personal preference... if you want NA, go for the 507.. else you have the TT to go for.. personally, i'd go with the 507
Old 07-10-2013, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
I think it comes down to 2 things:

1. Do want a naturally aspirated (NA) V8?
2. How long are you prepared to wait until you get a new car?

As for point 1, the C63 is probably your last (ever) chance to buy a large NA V8 in a luxury sports car. All the manufacturers have gone/are going down the turbo/supercharged route (minor exception being the facelifted RS4), and electrics / hybrids are the future. 6.2l V8s wont be seen again. If you love that big V8 sound, here's your last chance to get it in a new car. If you care more about raw performance, expect the next gen C63 with the 4.0 V8 TT to be an improvement on the 6.2, and to have better weight distribution to boot. Comes down to what you are looking for.

For point 2, if you can't wait for at least 2 years then you have your decision already. If you can, then refer point 1.
Old 07-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
I say go for the 507, and don't worry about the next generation. I don't think it would come out until mid 2016 just because C-Coupe is fairly new and it will be about a year off after Sedan's release, kinda like BMW's 3 and 4 series.

BTW, I think the new C63 will use the same engine as the current SLK55 - 5.5L V8, sounds good, but it's not a NA V8.

Or maybe they use the rumored 4.0L V8 that's coming with the SLC.

My 507's production begins next week, and am hoping to replace it with the SLC in the future.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
The 507s will be sought after as the last of the big N/A V8 AMG C's! I would grab one while you have the chance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 507 VS MY2015