C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Will headers and x-pipe put me over the db limit at Laguna Seca?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will headers and x-pipe put me over the db limit at Laguna Seca?

Thinking about doing this mod sometime in the near future. After I get a few baseline runs in the C63 BS want to see how the headers and x-pipe will affect the runs... but due to Laguna Secas rather strict noise limit of 90db - if it gets too high - would rather run at Thunderhill or Sears Point.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Didn't know seca had a db limit. But yes, I think it is a safe bet that headers would put you over that 90

I'm kind of surprised the car isn't already over that now
Old 04-07-2013, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Dang, 90 dB isn't that loud. I'm pretty sure MotoGP bikes are louder than that.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:31 AM

Yeah I know... its crazy. I'll be taking my RS4 there first.. .and it will have a JHM Motorsports downpipe/exhaust/tune mod. But its resonated, so it should be okay.
Old 04-07-2013, 04:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
100% need a good x pipe with headers.

It should be fine.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2014 Audi RS7
If you aren't already over 90 at WOT now you definitely will be with LT headers, no cats, and X-pipe. These tracks with noise restrictions will be challenged for attendance.

Mine was recorded at 109 with the stock exhaust(including resonator) with headers, no cats, and X-pipe.
It was recorded at 137 with the above and 3" race exhaust.

Car looks great by the way!!! CONGRATS!!
Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
You will be over 90 for sure.
Mine with catless downpipes, X pipe and no resonators was mid 100s if I remember correctly
Old 04-07-2013, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Dads C63
If you aren't already over 90 at WOT now you definitely will be with LT headers, no cats, and X-pipe. These tracks with noise restrictions will be challenged for attendance.

Mine was recorded at 109 with the stock exhaust(including resonator) with headers, no cats, and X-pipe.
It was recorded at 137 with the above and 3" race exhaust.

Car looks great by the way!!! CONGRATS!!
Thanks man! A couple of guys who post more over on the AMG PL do race at Laguna w stock C63 BS's so I assume it should be okay. I'll take it there sometime and report back!
Old 04-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 c63
You can get away with a modified car at laguna. There is a booth between turn 5 and 6 where they measure the noise limits. That's before you go up the hill towards the corkscrew. I did several track days at Laguna and what everyone does is they just let off before it and then continue to mash after. That's the only place on the track they measure it so you can go full throttle the rest of the track.

The two track days i was there, one i rode passenger in my friends 911 turbo that was straight piped and most definitely broke 90 DB but he just let off on that turn and never got flagged and the other track day i watched my cousin do a motorcycle track day. He has a 2007 r1 with akrapovic exhaust that also was just ear piercing but he said he just kept the bike in 4th gear that turn around 5k revs and passed the sound limjit everytime.

So essentially, you can get around their sound limit as it isnt very efficient since it is only measuring your car at a single point on the track. Hope that info helps!
Old 04-07-2013, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by KINGPIN 007
You can get away with a modified car at laguna. There is a booth between turn 5 and 6 where they measure the noise limits. That's before you go up the hill towards the corkscrew. I did several track days at Laguna and what everyone does is they just let off before it and then continue to mash after. That's the only place on the track they measure it so you can go full throttle the rest of the track.

The two track days i was there, one i rode passenger in my friends 911 turbo that was straight piped and most definitely broke 90 DB but he just let off on that turn and never got flagged and the other track day i watched my cousin do a motorcycle track day. He has a 2007 r1 with akrapovic exhaust that also was just ear piercing but he said he just kept the bike in 4th gear that turn around 5k revs and passed the sound limjit everytime.

So essentially, you can get around their sound limit as it isnt very efficient since it is only measuring your car at a single point on the track. Hope that info helps!
Thanks for the advice... but doesn't that defeat the purpose of trying to get the best time out of the whole track? I love the laguna seca track - have driven it a few times awhile back - but haven't been for almost 10 years.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by KINGPIN 007

Forgot about that!
Old 04-14-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Off topic, but what headers are you considering?
Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 C63 AMG
What I suggest is to get on Magnaflow's website and purchase their stainless turndown tailpipes. You will need a straight pipe to install them to out the back of the car which will allow these tips to be clamped on for track events. Turn them away from the track side with the monitors and you will likely pass every time without tripping their limits.

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02tips.asp
Old 06-27-2018, 08:45 AM

Received 167 Likes on 112 Posts
2009 C63 P30
Bumping this older thread cause it's directly on point. I just signed up for a HPDE at Laguna Seca for August, and admittedly didn't fully appreciate the severity of a 90 db limit. I've just got the power pipe, no headers, stock resonator and muffler. Anyone have more recent experience with a C63 running at Laguna and tripping the noise limits? All the interwebs seems to suggest just lifting at the noise shack.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I was just talking to someone about Laguna Seca recently. Everyone still just lifts as above, or has tips made to direct the sound the opposite direction. Even with just power pipes, you’ll be over the dB limit at full chat.
The following users liked this post:
Crya (06-27-2018)
Old 06-27-2018, 09:01 AM

2009 C63 P30
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I was just talking to someone about Laguna Seca recently. Everyone still just lifts as above, or has tips made to direct the sound the opposite direction. Even with just power pipes, you’ll be over the dB limit at full chat.
Thanks man. Ugh I guess that's why regular 90 db days don't sell out there. 4 tips like elbows pointing towards drivers side. That will be interesting...
Old 06-28-2018, 12:00 AM

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
2014 C63 Coupe
Yeah 90 isn't loud at all. I've raced there too many times to count and you wouldn't believe the shenanigans people go through to try to pass sound. Lifting as you go through 5 and up the hill works (usually) but you compromise your lap time since that uphill through 6 and 7 leads to the corkscrew and any speed you lose at the bottom of the hill you'll never make up. Some guys short shift, some guys lift, some do both, but each is a pain in the ***. The most successful method is to use turnout pipes and point them to the left side of the car (sound booth is on the right side) but that requires more investment than most are willing to make for one HPDE day.

I learned long ago to just go on unlimited days (few and far between, reserved for regular racing series) or at least 100db and mount some pipes. My old Z06 was headers and straight 3" exhaust all the way back. An x-pipe, no cats, no mufflers. Wasn't passing even with a lift lol.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:04 AM

2009 C63 P30
I’m pleased to confirm that a power pipe did not get me meat balled. Had a blast and learned a lot. Today was very warm for the track and front tires were not happy. Need more rubber!! And I was the only AMG representing in a sea of Bavarian M cars. Lol. They definitely thought I was odd for bringing it out. At least three cars were damaged and towed out through the day which was definitely eye-opening so I did play it pretty conservative.