C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Destroyed my Mode carbon spoiler trying to put it on...help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 Sedan
Destroyed my Mode carbon spoiler trying to put it on...help please

As the post says, last weekend, removed the old spoiler, cleaned everything up, test fitted the new Mode carbon CF decklid spoiler, then proceeded to remove the tape and start putting it on from one end.

Thought I had everything lined up real good, but when I checked, the top part was on well, but there was a huge gap at the back - was able to pull it off and try to reposition, but the second time around, same issue, and when I pulled it off, the whole freaking spoiler cracked open at the front seam.

Gonna order a new one but would like some feedback on how best to install it to make sure fitment is perfect.

I'd have it done professionally, but have no clue where to get it done properly here in Dubai.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT - ** CLARIFICATION **

For the record and so there is no confusion, I want to add that the issue I encountered had nothing to do with fitment of the Mode Carbon spoiler, but rather an installation complication (i.e. I ****ed it up on my own). The Mode Carbon stuff is top notch, and fitment is perfect - I'll be installing my rear diffuser soon and will add pics.

Last edited by imran; 04-14-2013 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-12-2013, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I have a "BOCA" type design one. With FRP products, they are never perfect. You can have a bodyshop repair the cracked seam so no need to buy another one. While they are repairing it, you might as well have them install it.

If you try to install it on one side first, the other side will lift up like a teter-toter. You basically test-fit first. What I did was file down the center a little bit so when it sits on the center, the two ends will be a little closer to the decklid. Install from center out. I still have small gaps approx 3mm on each end and used clear silicone to fill those gaps up.

EDIT-just realized you have a CF piece. If you repair it, you'll lose the weave and have to paint it to match or paint black.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C63 AMG
Test fit couple of times...and if you like how the way it sits put a painters tape for alignment or at least you have a guide...now just take off the 3m adhesive tape cover..that red plastic but only 3-4 inches and sit the spoiler properly and slowy slowly taking the sticker cover off. In other words dont take the sticker cover right away just few inches will do and sit it properly and if you like how its aligned then take the rest of the sticker cover off while its on your trunk. (IM SORRY IM BAD IN EXPLAINING STUFF)
Old 04-12-2013, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
MNL means to pull the red backing adhesive off a little at time. As you pull the red backing off exposing the sticky side, your press the spoiler down. Don't remove all of the red backing at once! You do this while the spoiler is in the position you want.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
You could get it repaired, painted, and keep it as a spare in case something happens.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Edition-1
Hey Imran, I highly recommend Silber Arrows Garage in Dubai for anything related to Mercs, be it servicing or installation of any parts.

Just contact Phil on 056-1742745. He's your man for any kind of job for our cars.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
also, get a buddy to help you line up the spoiler on the actual install... 2 sets of hands make a huge difference

btw, can you post a pic of the damaged spoiler?

Last edited by Fung63; 04-12-2013 at 08:03 PM.