C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Need advice on methods of adding touch up paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 11:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obsidian Black 2009 C63 w/ P30 Package
Need advice on methods of adding touch up paint

I need some advice on what type of touch up paint methods do you guys use?

I noticed today that my rear door on the driver side has a nick/ line on it. Its deep enough to see a white line scratch ( I have a black car) but not deep enough all the way down to the metal. Unfortunately buffing the car or adding compound wouldnt remove it.

I dont believe anyone keyed it as it was less than an inch long.

My question is has anyone dealt with a touch up paint/ method they recommend?

Im trying to stay away from the old fashion brush method as in the past I used that on my other cars and all it did was leave brush strokes and sorta made it worst.

Ive been seeing the pen method and some touch up paints in a spray can form and figured that would be a good route to go.

Really considering purchasing from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

They have a few videos that show how to do it and it looked like it was done pretty well. Of course I dont expect it to look like it was never scratched without a completed respray.

Trying to go this DIY route instead of taking it to a shop for such a small scratch but its been bothering me and I feel the need to have to do something about it
Old 04-17-2013, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
I've heard great things about drcolorchip.com
Old 04-17-2013, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
I got a small bottle of paint from the MB body shop that I had to take my car to after someone reversed into my parked car a few years back. It comes with a brush, but I did not use that. All of my chips are spot chips in the hood from day to day traffic and construction around the DC Metro area.

I used a toothpick to fill the chipped area (really small, but about 5 of them at the time.. now I have like 30 ) try to get it as flush as possible, then use medium and light polish compounds to smooth it all out, good as new.

Need to go through that again though.. Front of my car looks like a warzone, 1 busted fog light (passenger side), missing ring around the driver side foglight, and a crap ton of little pain chips.. DC is not kind to cars
Old 04-17-2013, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
I used a toothpick to fill the chipped area (really small, but about 5 of them at the time.. now I have like 30 ) try to get it as flush as possible, then use medium and light polish compounds to smooth it all out, good as new.
+1 for the toothpick method. Or, if the scratch is small enough, try using colored wax, although I've never tried that myself.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:50 AM

2014 C63 Coupe
Use a toothpick or a fine brush and put a very small amount of paint into the chipped area. Let it dry over a day, then repeat. Continue this process until you build up the painted area slightly higher than the surrounding paint. Let dry for several days, then buff it out with a polishing compound. Then wax. It's simpler than it sounds. Takes a few minutes each day.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 AM

Will try tooth pick method with the touchup paint Im ordering from autmotivetouchup.com

Their videos show the aersol touch up paint and that looked so simple and fun to do. But I believe they also require a layer of primer, the basecoat, and then the clearcoat.

Seems pretty excessive for just a small scratch.

Thanks
Old 04-17-2013, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
seriously, read up on www.drcolorchip.com
I've searched and found great reviews on the stuff. I ordered some yesterday for a minor scuff on my front lower bumper.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I have been there before with my black 2009 C63. Here is my input because I have done it before.

1. Clean area with alcohol wipe, make sure you are in garage door closed to prevent dust lift up
2. Warm up the area affected for 3 mins with a hairdryer, this will let pain flow into grooves better and create a less hydrophobic surface
3. Make sure you mix paint well
4. Mix paint with a small drop (1 cc) of thinner to thin, because paint is so thick
5. Apply with needle, paper clip, or toothpick. Tooth pick wood may absorb too much of the paint into wood fibers, as you want initial application to be 100%
6. Let dry for an hour, you can expidite this step with the blowdryer on medium heat
7. Again, dry area with slight heat, wipe very well with alcohol wipe
8. Apply 2-3 coats like this, let dry between coats thoroughly
9. Buff and wax

Good luck and PM me if you need more direction.

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 04-17-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Need to go through that again though.. Front of my car looks like a warzone, 1 busted fog light (passenger side), missing ring around the driver side foglight, and a crap ton of little pain chips.. DC is not kind to cars
Lol, have you ever think about installing a clear bra?
Old 04-17-2013, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I have been there before with my black 2009 C63. Here is my input because I have done it before.

1. Clean area with alcohol wipe, make sure you are in garage door closed to prevent dust lift up
2. Warm up the area affected for 3 mins with a hairdryer, this will let pain flow into grooves better and create a less hydrophic surface
3. Make sure you mix paint well
4. Mix paint with a small drop (1 cc) of thinner to thin, because paint is so thick
5. Apply with needle, paper clip, or toothpick. Tooth pick wood may absorb too much of the paint into wood fibers, as you want initial application to be 100%
6. Let dry for an hour, you can expidite this step with the blowdryer on medium heat
7. Again, dry area with slight heat, wipe very well with alcohol wipe
8. Apply 2-3 coats like this, let dry between coats thoroughly
9. Buff and wax

Good luck and PM me if you need more direction.

This method will definitely work . And be patient don't rush steps.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by ddcha
seriously, read up on www.drcolorchip.com
I've searched and found great reviews on the stuff. I ordered some yesterday for a minor scuff on my front lower bumper.
Just watched some videos of some of their demos. They sound similar to zephyrs directions.

The guy for Dr Color Chip on demoing the product on that Blue Interlagos BMW must have the paint properly mixed cause if I did that with a regular bottle of touchup paint it would smear it self to an area thats not needed and cause further in purities
Old 04-17-2013, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You have to understand the the touch up paint is in its thickest form possible, sometimes having the solvents evaporated. You have to use some intuition as to thinning it slightly for better application and to be able to repeat coats. Car paints are applied at the factory in a thin layer, more than once and have ionization which help the paint adhere. You are trying to mimic this as best as you can with warming the area, thinning it and removing oils on the surface with alcohol.

Heat is your best friend as it allows a slight "baking effect" which also allows it to run into all the micro groves and attach to the surface. Leaving it to dry in the sun also helps. Whatever you do not keep messing with each application or touch or fiddle with it because you will make it worse.

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 04-17-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 PM

would u recommend a heat gun?
Old 04-17-2013, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No way......WAYYY too hot. Just want to warm up scratch and surrounding 5mm around it...not melt the paint or primer.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
doctor colour chip end of discussion.

Before previous owner scratched the bumper pretty bad, I was going to take it for a repaint but thought I would give dr colour chip a try.

After, more then impressed I am pretty particular about my paintwork a quick buff and polish can you tell its been fixed ?

Old 04-18-2013, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by andrew c230k
doctor colour chip end of discussion.

Before previous owner scratched the bumper pretty bad, I was going to take it for a repaint but thought I would give dr colour chip a try.

After, more then impressed I am pretty particular about my paintwork a quick buff and polish can you tell its been fixed ?

Wow, huge difference! I might have to order some of that for my hood area!
Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
There is a slight learning curve to using it and it won't work in all situations, like for example I polished a deep scratch out so its barely noticeable and then tried to add doctor colour chip and it just pulls out of the scratch no matter what. Probably would have had better luck adding paint first then polishing after... it works great there are many different ways to apply it depending on the type of scratch... be aware there ad of repairing a road rashed hood is misleading, they show a hood with bunch of fine chips they show someone rubbing on the paint with a towel. It will fill the chips in and there wont be any paint blobs like a touch up stick but it won't level off the paint like the commercial leads you to believe. I guess you could keep trying to add paint to the chips to make the paint the same level as the non chipped paint but it would take many applications because paint drys much thinner when its dry then wet.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 AM

Yea def need to do more research on it. Just found some more scratches on my bumper that I for sure know was NOT there a day ago. People need to learn how to park.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by andrew c230k
There is a slight learning curve to using it and it won't work in all situations, like for example I polished a deep scratch out so its barely noticeable and then tried to add doctor colour chip and it just pulls out of the scratch no matter what. Probably would have had better luck adding paint first then polishing after... it works great there are many different ways to apply it depending on the type of scratch... be aware there ad of repairing a road rashed hood is misleading, they show a hood with bunch of fine chips they show someone rubbing on the paint with a towel. It will fill the chips in and there wont be any paint blobs like a touch up stick but it won't level off the paint like the commercial leads you to believe. I guess you could keep trying to add paint to the chips to make the paint the same level as the non chipped paint but it would take many applications because paint drys much thinner when its dry then wet.
Hey Andrew, did you mean this video they were demoing the product on?