C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Sport shock replacement with lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
Sport shock replacement with lowering springs?

Anyone here used the bilstein sport shocks for lowering springs with their c63? It's for the c350 and not specifically for the c63. I am looking for after market shocks that will work well with h&r lowering springs. Ride is a little lumpy with springs and looking to smoothen the ride out without running coil overs. The bilstein a are shorter and designed for use with lowering springs. Thanks for any input and other brands you may have used.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
I'm on H&R springs & stock shocks, my ride is smooth almost like stock. Not much of a difference. I don't think the Bilstein will make it smoother unless they have a dampening adjustment feature.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:43 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by Roswell
I'm on H&R springs & stock shocks, my ride is smooth almost like stock. Not much of a difference. I don't think the Bilstein will make it smoother unless they have a dampening adjustment feature.
Yea I am not sure...do you know performance package c63 has different shocks compared to regular c63? Wondering if shocks are stiffer than regular c63. If so could explain extra bouncy nature of car right now. I used cup kits in the past they worked much better than just springs so figured replace shock with a shorter travel length designed for lowering springs would help.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Ur PP car should have stiffer suspension from what I read. And it should sit a tad lower. If u r not satisfied with the ride quality on springs, I would suggest u to get the KW's V3 coilovers which are height & dampening adjustable.

I still don't believe the Bilstein are any better than ur PP shocks. They are probably going to make ur ride harsher, but I can't confirm cuz I never had experience with them.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by Roswell
Ur PP car should have stiffer suspension from what I read. And it should sit a tad lower. If u r not satisfied with the ride quality on springs, I would suggest u to get the KW's V3 coilovers which are height & dampening adjustable.

I still don't believe the Bilstein are any better than ur PP shocks. They are probably going to make ur ride harsher, but I can't confirm cuz I never had experience with them.
Yea I was a bit worried it would be harsher but can't tell. May give bilstein a call and ask about it....
Old 04-24-2013, 03:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
I've used Bilstein HD struts mated with Swift Springs on my Evo, and the comfort and handling was improved from the OEM Bilstein suspension. Much better than sub-$2k coilovers.

I'd be interested to hear about your conversation with Bilstein, if the valving of their struts will match with the spring rates of the H&R spring, it could be a winning combination. Then again, you can just get the H&R street performance coilovers since H&R uses bilstein internals with their coilovers.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:53 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by Thrilla
I've used Bilstein HD struts mated with Swift Springs on my Evo, and the comfort and handling was improved from the OEM Bilstein suspension. Much better than sub-$2k coilovers.

I'd be interested to hear about your conversation with Bilstein, if the valving of their struts will match with the spring rates of the H&R spring, it could be a winning combination. Then again, you can just get the H&R street performance coilovers since H&R uses bilstein internals with their coilovers.
Ok spoke to bilstein NA today, wasn't much help but they did say that valving would match most lowering spring rate. Length of travel was adjusted to provide better travel for a lowered spring set up. He did feel that valving maybe softer than p31 package shocks as the b8s are tuned for most general sport applications. He did say that lumpy feel is due to set up combination p31 + h&r. The h&r spring was designed for non p31 shock set up I am guessing so what was already stiff is now stiffer causing the lumpy feel I am experiencing. Again I don't know as I can t confirm if shocks are different from a regular c63.

He didn't have a clue though if the b8 would fit the c63 which I found odd since we would assume a c63 is the same as a c350 in terms of suspension mounting etc. he was more focused on the break lines etc...not sure so I called mb...waiting for answer and will update.