HESS gas...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C63 Sedan White on Black
Smile HESS gas...

Hi all,
Last week I ran really low on gas and HESS was the only option within the remaining range so I took some 93 there..

Next day when I started the car the CEL came on.

Around a month ago my CEL popped and and it turned out to be purge valve issues and MB replaced it. So I guess it shouldn't be caused by any other possible mechanical defects considering it's only got 22000 miles (2009)

Anyone have similar experience with HESS that can be shared before I turn the car to MB again?
Old 04-23-2013, 03:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Gas is gas im afraid.
You can get bad gas at any station whether is name brand or not.
You could only fill up your car at Shell, but do you think the gas comes from Royal Dutch SHell wells? Nope....it comes from where the distributor decides where to get it from. The difference is that distributor puts in the V-Power or Techron detergent or additives as you call it. So only one cup of detergent in a 8000 gallon truck separates the expensive brands Shell, Chevron, BP from the cheap brands Hess, Racetrac, Valero etc.....

Some people prefer gas without the detergents (like Hess) as the gas enhanced detergents clog up turbo systems and you also have to consider that the true gas content is less than without.

Big long argument on this but its your car and you should decide what gas you put in.
I will tell you that convenience store gas holds themselves to lower standards than the namebrands. They have a tendency to fill the tanks up less because they have fork out money for filling them up. A name brand gas station will always keeps its tank full and wont let them run close to empty. Near empty tanks hold more air which can lead to more contaminants present.

Again don't believe that shell is shell. the gas companies share pipelines and it all comes from the same place in the ground.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
I totally agree with Moosejaw. Gas is gas. I've filled up at bj's, Costco, sam's club, hess, shell, chevron, exxon. They all run the fine. Never had any issues. I always make sure to go to stations that move a lot of volume.

If it makes you sleep better at night, go with your preferred brand.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM
ed4

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 Audi S4, 2013 MB C63
I agree - gas is gas. The additives each brand adds to a new tank is what slightly differentiates one brand from the next.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I wouldn't blame the gas or start a discussion on what gas is better or worse. Go run the code and see what it is. If it's 'bad gas', it will show up through a knock sensor code. Odds are however that you didn't tighten your gas cap...or something else went wrong around the same time. If there is one thing I've learned from cars, it is that things break illogically.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
You know i love hearing all the time about other drivers saying
"When i fill up at brand x..my car runs so much better"
and
"Dont fill up with that crap bc it sends check engine lights and causes misfires"

All just noise in their heads.