C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Question about vendor pricing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63, '78 LS1 280Z, '71 240Zt, '87 Grand National, '01 F150
Question about vendor pricing

Why is it that whenever someone inquires about a price for something, a PM reply is always requested? Is there a rule that forbids prices to be posted??

Joe
Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by rags260z
Why is it that whenever someone inquires about a price for something, a PM reply is always requested? Is there a rule that forbids prices to be posted??

Joe
I've always wondered about that too since I've joined the site. Why can't they put the advertised price for everyone instead of constantly PMing? If someone is interested in the product at that price they can then PM them for shipping costs and get an exact idea. It's something that has always kind of bothered me too.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:25 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 S63 AMG S and 2018 GLS450
I guess it prevents from other competition knowing their price and beating them. Another is the cost can be changed depending on the timing so this would affect the price in which they don't want to post it up.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM

But why ask for a PM? And why doesn't anyone post the cost that was quoted? Wouldn't doing so make for better competition? Actually I know it would and I don't understand how no one else sees it that way.

Joe
Old 05-01-2013, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
But why ask for a PM? And why doesn't anyone post the cost that was quoted? Wouldn't doing so make for better competition? Actually I know it would and I don't understand how no one else sees it that way.

Joe
if the seller wants a pm to give out prices then that's considered private . why would you want everyone to see your prices on a forum that has multiple vendors selling the same items ? another vendor will just come in and undercut you . it's called shopping around for the best price , if that is in fact what you are looking for . this is not a bidding war between vendors , which is exactly what would happen if prices were posted .

you also ask why nobody posts the price given in a pm . if you post something that was written in a pm , that is against the rules of the forum and you would most likely be warned or suspended or even banned for it .

if you want to know a price and don't want to pm , then go to the vendor's website and look there....but chances are you are getting a better deal , from that vendor here , by being a forum member .

i would suck it up and send a pm if you want the best price from a vendor
Old 05-01-2013, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Also a lot of manufacturers do not allow advertising their products under mrsp, so they actually cant post their low price. (Sam as how on some website u can only see the sale price when u add item to basket)
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 PM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
As a new member must say I find it frustrating not to even have an indication as to the price. As for the price being so good that they do not want to disclose it on the open forum, I have seen plenty where the so called PM us for the sensational price item has sat in stock for a long time suggesting perhaps the price is not really so great. Have alook at the aftermarket wheel thread - constant promotion of new wheels by sponsors with no indication of price.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E55 AMG
The main reasons were covered above- Undercut prices and mandated (and monitored) Minimum Advertised Pricing (MAP).

Feel free to PM me for wheel pricing
Old 05-01-2013, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Because let's face it, 90% of the people asking for a price have zero intention of actually buying anything. If you even have an ounce if REAL interest you will move your wrist 1/2 an inch, click a button, and type a PM.

Otherwise, vendors post prices, the peanut gallery starts posting how they can get it cheaper at their brothers uncles friends sisters shop, vendor stops advertising, site makes no money, everyone loses.

If you're serious about it, PM the vendor. Pretty simple.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:37 PM

2010 C63 w/ P30
Originally Posted by natman316
Also a lot of manufacturers do not allow advertising their products under mrsp, so they actually cant post their low price. (Sam as how on some website u can only see the sale price when u add item to basket)
This.

Every time I've PM'd a vendor for a price, the response comes back far under list. Want a ballpark on what something costs? Check the list price. But expect a better deal if you're willing to do a little legwork.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 AM

I guess I'm looking at it from a consumer standpoint. When I want to purchase something I am going to look for the best price. Having to PM every vendor for their best price seems to be a waste of time especially when, in my experience, the prices that come back are all the same.
Apparently I am in the minority with my thinking so as one other member put it, I'll just have to "suck it up and ask for a PM".
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
Price is only one determining factor for a purchase. Many place service levels, responsiveness, location, etc above price. So while your main interest is price, isn't for all consumers. The "not allowed to post prices" is also very valid.

I think your expectations as a consumer are off....you expect them to a) invite competition b) potentially damage business relationships (the mfr, mbworld, other vendors) and c) waste time with people who don't really intend to buy.....all so that you can save 10 seconds and *maybe* buy a $200 shift knob?

Not worth it. Reason I go into this detail, I'm the first guy to be harsh on vendors for their ridiculous MB-surcharges for everything from tunes to headers to plastic interior pieces, but in this case, posting prices is just not smart.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:59 AM

Expectations as a consumer are off?? How so? If everyone would read my original post again, I asked why everyone requests a PM from the vendor to find out what the price is on a product offered.
I can see most people here are ok with this practice so we can drop the discussion. Seems to be a reoccurring theme for most questions I ask.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I tend to agree with OPs frustrations. Who gives a crap about the vendor??? All I care about is the consumer, ME. If they want my money, they will do back flips and bend over backwards for my dollar. It's a very, very tough world out there as far as product competition and sales. It is what it is. If you don't want to compete and work hard to gain clients, then get in the unemployment line.

That same "potential" customer that Rory talks about not buying anything and just window shopping, "wasting time" as he puts it....may come back bigger than ever when they are ready and that vendor will reap the rewards of patience.

We all buy things all the time. But I think we are more inclined to purchase with transparancy rather than gimmicks and hiding behind a curtain. I think it should be like a market place, items on display, prices posted, may the best man win. If you are willing to win over a consumer it will be NOT only in a competative price but service and support afterwards to retain the client. I am in sales myself, and understand how much treating the consumer with respect and honesty is most important.

The whole "PM me for pricing" is a ridiculous stunt in my opinion. If you are confident and are a stand up vendor that is not going to close up shop or fraud people after a year, then nut up and be open like a free market.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes
"Who gives a crap about the vendor" isn't a mature, realistic, or particularly admirable/inviting sentiment. You're not buying toilet paper, you're building a relationship with someone you can trust to deliver on what they say in an industry filled with MHP's and other frauds.

I don't know if that's how you treat your lawn guy, housekeepers, mechanics, etc...but if you do, keep in mind, you get what you pay for. In other words, you get what you give, beyond money, but respect, appreciation, etc. Off my soapbox, I have high expectations of everyone I deal with, but I respect their processes and feelings for the most part and in return, get what I need or more.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM

Yes, you do get what you pay for when it comes to service. But parts from the same manufacturer?? That's like saying you'd be willing to pay a premium for groceries at a store doesn't put prices in there advertisements in the newspaper but says come in or call us and we'll tell you what everything costs. Oh yeah, and don't tell anyone else what the price is. Makes no sense. I'm more interested in what is being sold and what it costs than where I got it from.
Since you brought up MHP, from what I have read there is no problem with the parts (headers) but there is a problem when it comes to what people are paying for someone else's tune and no product after payment. IMO, being secretive about price leads to this type of behavior and the vendors that are open are the ones that stick around.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by rory breaker
"Who gives a crap about the vendor" isn't a mature, realistic, or particularly admirable/inviting sentiment. You're not buying toilet paper, you're building a relationship with someone you can trust to deliver on what they say in an industry filled with MHP's and other frauds.

I don't know if that's how you treat your lawn guy, housekeepers, mechanics, etc...but if you do, keep in mind, you get what you pay for. In other words, you get what you give, beyond money, but respect, appreciation, etc. Off my soapbox, I have high expectations of everyone I deal with, but I respect their processes and feelings for the most part and in return, get what I need or more.
Again, I think you are not getting the point. When you leave the dealership, or Costco, or pay your taxes, do you think you sit there and contemplate whether you should of paid them more and you are worried about whether is was a "fair" pricing for them? I don't think so. You are wanting the best price possible so stop acting righteous or like you have a soft spot for those you buy from. The minute you find out you overpaid, you will be throwing a **** fit.

We are not talking about medical treatment or a nanny or a caretaker. These types of SERVICES are in a different caliber. We are taking about plastic and CF and metal, that if you think about it long and hard, is equal to toilet paper in the material world.

You do get what you pay for. Absolutely. I sell items myself. But if a vendor is willing to sell that same item at a cheaper price due to competition and increasing the amounts of clients they get as a result, its win win for both parties. I am not talking about robbing my lawn guy of his lawn mower or stealing windex from my housekeeper. I am talking about free market and prices that are transparent as a result of competition.

The real game changer is the "after purchase relationship". A place where I feel a lot of vendors FAIL at whether its on this forum or the ROW.

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 05-02-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

360 Modena TT
i expect these kind of questions and things from the newbies but not from the guys that have been around for a while . 99% of the time , the guys that have been around for a while already have the front lips , spoilers and things like that....which is really where these issues in this thread , come into play . the new guy is looking for the best price and has limited info on which vendors are good and which are

why would a well established vendor put up his price of $599 for a front lip ? so the next thread would be from idiot motorsports about his knock off front lip for $499 . now those prices are made public and every time a new guy gets on and looks it up , they see that idiots price is better and the established vendor loses business every time .

the wheel business has to be an all time high of price undercutting . this is just an example.......if Lon from HRE comes on and writes up a thread about his wheels costing $7000 for a new set , how many threads come right behind him about the cost of the wheels from them ?

just pm the seller if you want the best price from them ! case closed
Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by BAD430BENZ
just pm the seller if you want the best price from them ! case closed
You're right Bad430, case closed as this is going no where.

BTW, how long do I have to be here before I'm not considered a newbie? If the answer is "When I do like everyone else", this forum is not for me.

Joe
Old 05-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera

BTW, how long do I have to be here before I'm not considered a newbie? If the answer is "When I do like everyone else", this forum is not for me.

Joe
You will need tough skin on this forum, but a lot of the members here are really helpful, youll wanna stick around.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

360 Modena TT

Joe
it's not about how long you have been here posting , it's about how long you have been here posting about something that , unfortunately , will not change . there are a ton of people that are new to the forum that need help or have questions about their cars and there are lots that just rant on forums to stir the pot .

it's like joining here today and the first thread is about how stupid Mercedes is about not making the back tires wide enough . these are things that will not change so people just have to learn to live with it .

i'm one of the last people to be a jerk to anyone unless they start on me first . i am just simply stating that the vendors are not going to change the way they do things because a couple dont like it . it's the way it's been done forever and that's just the way it is going to stay .

stick around because you will find a lot of good info and meet some really cool people on this forum