C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Video: My C63 Black Series vs 2013 GT-R on the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 GLC63s
Video: My C63 Black Series vs 2013 GT-R on the track

So our group had a private track day yesterday @ a new track in New York, New York Safety Track...Their first track day ever, so there were a few hitches here and there. Curbing hadn't been put down yet(they were doing the final layer of pavement today actually), so they had to go and clean the track off pretty much every session. It was a really fun track, but intimidating at the beginning, as there are a ton of blind turns, 450ft worth of elevation change, and barely any runoff area.

This was one of the last sessions of the day; One of our members is a NASA instructor, and decided to take another members new 2013 GT-R out for a session. I told him id try to keep up in the Black Series, and off we went. We both had two completely different lines, but were about equally as fast. Definitely one of the most intense sessions i've ever had, but it just shows how capable this car really is with just a couple modifications(headers/tune, brake lines and fluid)

Skip to 2:30 to get to the part where i start following the GT-R

Quick fly-by video showing my Black Series, along with the GT-R and a 2013 GT500

Last edited by Jbizzy21; 05-06-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CLS63 AMG
Nice driving.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 Range Rover Sport SC
It's a little hard to tell from the video, but a couple of quick thoughts.

One, man, that GT-R really rockets out of the corners! Some pretty impressive firepower under the hood of that thing.

Two, your line and overall driving seems to be better than that of the guy in the GT-R. He didn't seem to be using the whole track (kept a much tighter line than he needed to, and didn't carry as much speed into and through corners as he could). That being said, it wasn't his car, and as an instructor, I'd never drive someone else's car to the limits (well, unless it's a pro team and they're paying me to drive).

My only complaint is that I'm in the office, so I can't turn the volume up as much as I'd like to.

Patrick
Old 05-06-2013, 04:45 PM

2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by Patrick B
It's a little hard to tell from the video, but a couple of quick thoughts.

One, man, that GT-R really rockets out of the corners! Some pretty impressive firepower under the hood of that thing.

Two, your line and overall driving seems to be better than that of the guy in the GT-R. He didn't seem to be using the whole track (kept a much tighter line than he needed to, and didn't carry as much speed into and through corners as he could). That being said, it wasn't his car, and as an instructor, I'd never drive someone else's car to the limits (well, unless it's a pro team and they're paying me to drive).

My only complaint is that I'm in the office, so I can't turn the volume up as much as I'd like to.

Patrick
Yeah, one of the GT-R's main strengths is how it puts the power down coming out of corners...I know from experience(typically, the car that i track is a GT-R), you can get on the gas well before the apex, and the AWD system will just pull the car right out of the turn. It really is incredible to feel if you've never been in one before. My car was a bit faster in terms of pure straight line speed than the GT-R, but it would put distance on me coming out of every corner.

As far as his driving goes; I agree that our lines were much different. He is actually one of the best drivers i have ever been in the car with. He said afterwards he still hadnt quite figured the car out; the way the traction control system in the least restrictive mode works threw him off a bit. The GT-R is kind of a car that you have to almost drive improperly to get the most out of it, and he is much more used to cars that you have to really work with to get the best out of, that it was a bit of a learning curve for him. I'm sure had we had another session, he would've been a bit faster, but you can see from the lap times that just about every lap we got a little faster. He wasn't pushing as hard as he could im sure, but he was definitely moving; to get a GT-R sideways with the rear out the way he was, you really have to be pushing it, because annoyingly, all it wants to do in stock form is understeer.

Thank you for the compliment on my driving as well haha.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Nice
Tell me what tool are you using to get the track positioning,Gforce and speed information?
And no flag girl this time ?
Old 05-06-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
looks great and yes, congratulations to your smooth driving style.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:01 PM

2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by abcut973
Nice
Tell me what tool are you using to get the track positioning,Gforce and speed information?
And no flag girl this time ?
I use the portable type of Vbox, the PerformanceBox, to measure the G's, track position, GPS Speed, etc. I used Go-Pros to videotape, and then use a program called TrackVision to merge the two together, and add the gauges.

Oh, and yeah sorry, no flag girl this time lol