my car got humped by an oldsmobile on hump day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
my car got humped by an oldsmobile on hump day

happened this morning on my drive to work. i was in the exit lane for my exit and traffic was a little backed up in that lane. i was able to slow down no problem but the car behind me wasn't expecting it and i heard his tires squeeling... then i looked in the mirror and saw him sliding towards me... all i could do was wait for impact. he hit me hard enough to push me into the car in front of me.

physically i'm fine... but i'm sad
Attached Thumbnails my car got humped by an oldsmobile on hump day-img_00000314.jpg   my car got humped by an oldsmobile on hump day-img_00000329.jpg  
Old 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
damage that i could find

-rear bumper
-carbon fiber diffuser
-driver side exhaust was bent, now it's touching the diffuser. can't tell how bad it is without looking under the car
-front grill pushed inward and cracked in the middle
-front bumper has scuffs but cracked near the driver side headlight

sooooooo anyone want to try to estimate what this will cost? i've already contacted their insurance company.

i'm worried about the cf diffuser, exhaust, and the front bumper. will the insurance company cover my cf diffuser? depending on the damage on the exhaust, will they cover one side of the aftermarket set up, or one side of the oem set up? and will they cover to replace the front bumper?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Ouch that truly sucks!

Hopefully the insurance company takes care of you.

Good luck with everything.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Get receipts for everything from where you bought it from?
Were you cited at fault for the person you hit in front of you?
In florida they do that.

Rear bumper will be need to be mended and repainted so prb $600
CF Diffuser....provided you can provide recipts......$1300 with labor
Front bumper will be need to be mended and repainted so prb another $600
Oem grille prob another $500

Not sure on the exhaust, but with everything you're looking at under $5K
just a guesstimate tho based on what insurance pays out. you could source everything and hire it out for cheaper and keep the difference. I could prob outsource that work in Miami for $ 3000 with diffuser supplied and installed.

You're better off repairing the bumpers you have as opposed to try and get new ones. Insurance companies will source junkyard or non oem bumpers.

Some AMG owners in a accident make a claim for diminished value. In your state it may apply to you
Old 05-08-2013, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
The front bumper alone with cost around $1300. That is what mine cost when my friend reversed into my car at 3am Damage looks similar. Was basically Bumper and grill, and repainting by my MB Collision Center (owned by the same people as my dealer, repairs Porsche, MB and Audi mostly, although will take any car).

If your own insurance was covering the damage, you may have an issue with aftermarket parts if you did not declare them when your insurance was renewed. For someone elses insurance, it makes no difference, they have to cover the damage, which includes aftermarket parts, you might have to argue with them though.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
The front bumper alone with cost around $1300. That is what mine cost when my friend reversed into my car at 3am Damage looks similar. Was basically Bumper and grill, and repainting by my MB Collision Center (owned by the same people as my dealer, repairs Porsche, MB and Audi mostly, although will take any car).

If your own insurance was covering the damage, you may have an issue with aftermarket parts if you did not declare them when your insurance was renewed. For someone elses insurance, it makes no difference, they have to cover the damage, which includes aftermarket parts, you might have to argue with them though.
$1300 for a new bumper or repaint a damaged one?
Old 05-08-2013, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Did you try and pop the grill back into place...it looks like it might have just been pushed out of its clips
Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by callmiro
Did you try and pop the grill back into place...it looks like it might have just been pushed out of its clips
pushed inward yes, but from my initial inspection, the bottom part is cracked right down the middle. and i didn't want to mess with it until an adjuster looks at it
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
A good body shop can do wonders with that bumper, but it's up to you. You'll also have to see the internals for potential damage. Won't do any good to make it look like new if the brackets are busted.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by moosejaw
$1300 for a new bumper or repaint a damaged one?
The bumper itself was fine except for needing to be repainted. The stuff that broke, the grill, the mesh in the lower area, the mounting brackets that connect the radiator (no idea how that much damage occurred without breaking the bumper.. but it survived)
Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
10 to 12K
demand only new OEM parts and also reinstall for all you additions show receipts
bumper / hood alignment is way too close
non Oem parts will reduce the residual value of your car,
you paid insurance on a 2010 C63 not a rebuilt car with used parts
Don't forget to ask for four wheel alignment

Hope you are alright, then there is the medical bills, therapy, massage for whiplass
Contact your insurance company in case the guy you hit after being rear ended is going to sue you for worse injuries than you have.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Sorry to hear about your accident bluejae, at least you are ok.

As for the damages, I'm sure the driver at fault's insurance will only pay for the rear bumper damage, the front bumper will be from your own insurance. At least that's how it works in Canada.

Good luck with the repair!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Sorry Roswell, But with NO-Fault insurance here in Ontario Canada, Your insurance company will repair your car in the event of a rear end collision through the collision part of your policy. While the guy you hit because of being hit yourself would be paid for with his insurance. I know it is the stupidist way to do business but that is no fault insurance. The guy who originally hit your car and subsequently you hit the other will be charged with following too close and will have to endure higher premiums for a few years unless he has accident forgiveness then in that case he gets a freebee. Either way here in Canada you only deal with your adjuster and insurance company. Just make sure you are okay, go to a doctor to get checked out, a few sessions of massage therapy won't hurt
Old 05-09-2013, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
afaik, here in texas, it's usually on the person who caused the accident. so if the rear car his a car in front and then that car hits another car... it's all on the rear car
Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
need some advice on possible parts i can get. i've searched around and i don't think i've found definite answers but here is what i think i know.

parts that will likely need to be replaced

front bumper cover, grill, rear bumper cover, carbon fiber diffuser, exhaust rear section (driver side has it's own piece in the oem exhaust but since mine is one piece, i would need to pick up a new one.)
-------------------------

info i got from an estimate (oem parts), without labor costs included

front bumper - $1100
grill - $416
muffler assembly lt - $900
rear bumper - $600
----------------------------

ideas for possible replacements

replace front bumper, rear bumper, front grill, with new facelift bumpers.
(not sure about front fitment and what adjustments need to be made)
(also not sure about new facelifted led lights and how they would work)

would need new CF diffuser to fit new rear bumper. not sure of how many designs are out there for the facelifted rear bumper.

dtm front bumper, and keep rear bumper same or go with facelifted version.
------------------

another idea... i'm thinking if i get the full replacements... maybe i can still keep the front bumper and rear bumper and have them fixed at a decent price and sell them or keep them. i wonder if they would fit the non-amg c class... i think even the diffuser can be repaired and it would just be a big fin diffuser for somebody... or paint everything and leave the fins CF...
Old 05-25-2013, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
good luck getting the dtm bumper. It takes quite sometime... just got our new one tuesday. we ordered it directly from revozsport in feb. Shipping alone was 600$ from china. Id recommend trade secret for body work thats whos doing ours. I also think the factory amg bumper cover is alot more than 1100$ but i could be wrong on that. maybe pick that used on that was f.s. on here recently if its still available. i think it was white too.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
good luck getting the dtm bumper. It takes quite sometime... just got our new one tuesday. we ordered it directly from revozsport in feb. Shipping alone was 600$ from china. Id recommend trade secret for body work thats whos doing ours. I also think the factory amg bumper cover is alot more than 1100$ but i could be wrong on that. maybe pick that used on that was f.s. on here recently if its still available. i think it was white too.
yeah... i figured that would be the case... so now i'm leaning towards sticking with the oem style and going with a new front spoiler and a new grill

the price for the front bumper was from a mercedes body shop... there is also labor and paint on top of that...

i think i may have missed the thread about a used one... i'll look for it tomorrow

thanks
Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
The used bumper cover was Kit523 from Vancouver and it just sold so you are too late, unfortunately, for that one.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Critter
Sorry Roswell, But with NO-Fault insurance here in Ontario Canada, Your insurance company will repair your car in the event of a rear end collision through the collision part of your policy. While the guy you hit because of being hit yourself would be paid for with his insurance. I know it is the stupidist way to do business but that is no fault insurance. The guy who originally hit your car and subsequently you hit the other will be charged with following too close and will have to endure higher premiums for a few years unless he has accident forgiveness then in that case he gets a freebee. Either way here in Canada you only deal with your adjuster and insurance company. Just make sure you are okay, go to a doctor to get checked out, a few sessions of massage therapy won't hurt

Thats how my crashed worked aswell. If you are stopped, hit and pushed into another car, it's the guy behind you at fault.

Like critter said, your insurance will fix your car and then they will go after the guy in the rear for the loss.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4matic
ouch. my car had the exact same accident. It's what's under the bumper that cost more.. the support beam and crash bar... take off that bumper and take a look if you haven't done so yet.