C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Broken Front Bumper - Repair or Replace

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Black C63
Broken Front Bumper - Repair or Replace

Afternoon, folks. Last night, while reversing out of a parking space, it looks like my front bumper just caught the parking curb and rrrrrip. The issue appears to be several torn bolt holes on the driver's side where the bumper attaches to the car. Attached are several pictures.

I understand that this can often be a DIY repair on some lower end cars, but I don't know whether a repair would be a short-sighted solution to a more serious issue in the long term. I plan on keeping this car until either it or I die.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. The questions I have are:
(1) Is this a relatively easy repair, or would a replacement be more appropriate?(2) What would you approximate the cost to be.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Broken Front Bumper - Repair or Replace-1.jpg   Broken Front Bumper - Repair or Replace-2.jpg   Broken Front Bumper - Repair or Replace-3.jpg   Broken Front Bumper - Repair or Replace-4.jpg   Broken Front Bumper - Repair or Replace-5.jpg  

Old 06-01-2013, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Replacing the bumper will cost roughly $1800 with the new bumper costing $1300 and the rest being painting, et cetera. If your deductible is low, I'd consider using your collision coverage, or look for a used one on eBay or a salvage yard. Since you are planning on keeping the car for a long time, I don't think it would be worth the hassle of repairing it. My two cents.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Jalps
Afternoon, folks. Last night, while reversing out of a parking space, it looks like my front bumper just caught the parking curb and rrrrrip. The issue appears to be several torn bolt holes on the driver's side where the bumper attaches to the car. Attached are several pictures.

I understand that this can often be a DIY repair on some lower end cars, but I don't know whether a repair would be a short-sighted solution to a more serious issue in the long term. I plan on keeping this car until either it or I die.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. The questions I have are:
(1) Is this a relatively easy repair, or would a replacement be more appropriate?(2) What would you approximate the cost to be.

Thanks!

There is a special resin that will bond the brokenness back together however that grade or product is normally found in body shops. I would try a body shop supply place and see if they have something to help you with (product wise)
If not let me know and I will put you in touch with my guy here I'm Fla he an ship you the product to you. Possibly save yourself a ton of cash

As long as you save the prat that broke off your are good and it can be bonded back
Old 06-01-2013, 06:14 PM

06 CTT-S
i had a previous minor accident and broke the front bumper.. going through the insurance was frustrating (while you can use your coverage and just pay your deductible -- your insurance might hit you with bumping your premiums, in my case the total cost going through with my insurance was more than just me shouldering the cost)..

anyways.. was quoted at about $2200 at an MB certified collision body shop to replace (with OEM), paint and install.. then i found another shop that repaired and repainted it for $800.. not sure if your bumper needs repaint, but if they repair it and (re)fit it without painting, i'm guessing that'll be less than $800.. but then again, the price varies (depending on the shop).. good luck
Old 06-01-2013, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikegpr03
There is a special resin that will bond the brokenness back together however that grade or product is normally found in body shops. I would try a body shop supply place and see if they have something to help you with (product wise)
If not let me know and I will put you in touch with my guy here I'm Fla he an ship you the product to you. Possibly save yourself a ton of cash

As long as you save the prat that broke off your are good and it can be bonded back
3M makes a product that will allow you to recreate the missing chunks (to a certain degree). Again, body shop will let you know.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Just use some fender washers on the bolts to sandwich it. Done
Old 06-01-2013, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
This is your excuse to do a widebody conversion.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:51 PM

2010 Black C63
Thanks for the help! Looks like the best course of action is to take it to a body shop for an estimate, bearing in mind that an insurance claim might seem sweet on the front end but I might end up paying double based on potential rate hikes.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
If it's repairable, it should only cost 1/3 to 1/4 of a complete replacement, depending on the difficulty.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
I would definitely repair it, not worth replacing cuz the OEM bumper is insanely expensive. It looks like u don't have damage to the paint.. Just get ur bodyshop to use washers to secure it tight.

If u r ****, for the money I would get the DTM bumper.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Bumper its self is in great condition. You can definitely repair. To do a good job you will have to remove that fender piece too and get a better fit. You can repair with special resin adhesives and heat, then line up to where it attaches to fender. I have seen worse repaired to brand new. Just have to find a body shop that is artistic and inclined enough.

Hang in there...