C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

oCarbon.com - looking for a few members to help us develop carbon fiber interior trim

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLI
oCarbon.com - looking for a few members to help us develop carbon fiber interior trim

Hey guys,

My name is Matt and I'm the owner of oCarbon. We've been hand making real carbon fiber interior trim sets for high end European vehicles for the last 9 years (mostly Audis and BMWs) and are now looking to offer our services to Mercedes owners.

We need to find a few C63 owners who'd like to have some carbon fiber interior trim made for their vehicles. We'd be able to offer a pretty significant discount to anyone willing to send us their trim for a few weeks while we manufacture a set for them.

These sets would be made using actual carbon fiber, epoxy, and clearcoat (no fake vinyl or stickers or anything else of that nature) wrapped over an OEM set of trim for a perfect OEM fit. Different fabric weaves and colors are available for a more custom look.

Our standard pricing on these sets will be very competitive, and those that take advantage of this introductory offer will get heavily discounted sets.

Interested? Shoot an email to matt@ocarbon.com with your full vehicle info (model, year, chasis code, auto/manual, what type of trim is currently in the vehicle) along with what you'd be interested in. If you've got good photography skills and are willing to help us with installed pictures and/or an install guide, this would be appreciated as well.

Check out some of the vehicles we've done in our gallery: ocarbon.com/gallery

See some of the more custom pieces we've done in our blog: http://ocarbon.com/blog

Few pictures of recent sets:

Frequently asked questions

Q: Can you give me a little more info about the process?

A: Sure. You'd remove your current trim and ship it to us. We would take the original trim, remove excess material, wrap it with real carbon fiber, coat it with epoxy, sand it smooth, spray it with clearcoat, and buff it to a shine. The whole process takes about 3-4 weeks, and we'd then return the set back to you.

Q: So you won't be making molded pieces?

A: Nope. We've found that molded interior trim pieces never really fit right and they don't look as good as overlaid parts. Using an original OEM piece as a base means all the OEM tabs for a perfect fit.

Q: What about the added carbon? Won't that make the pieces bigger?

A: No. We sand down wood cores and we remove the aluminum from aluminum cores to make room for the extra carbon fiber and epoxy. We rarely have any fit issues with pieces, and we guarantee fitment, so if for some reason something doesn't fit quite right, we'll fix it until it does.

Q: Where are these pieces made? I'm worried about quality from overseas companies.

A: Everything is made in house in our facility in Glendale, AZ. We control the process from start to finish. It costs more, but the end quality is much, much higher.

Q: Speaking of quality, can you give me more info about the materials you use?

A: Most companies use a cheap 5.7oz 2x2 twill fabric for their parts. This fabric has gaps in the weave and can be susceptible to weave distortion around complex corners. We only use name brand (mostly Japanese based Toray) 11oz 2x2 twill, that has a much thicker and tighter weave. Again, it costs more, but it makes a huge difference in how the end product works. We also use only the highest end epoxies that have UV inhibitors to prohibit fading and yellowing. We finish the pieces in high-solids polyurethane clearcoat for a deep, glossy shine.

Q: Since I'm helping you out with development, shouldn't these sets be super cheap or free for me?

A: We're a small company, just myself and a few employees. We'd love to be able to just give the first few sets away, but we don't have a ton of capital to be able to develop a bunch of new products, so we're asking a few of you to share the cost of development with us. You'll get a fantastic set of real carbon fiber trim for your vehicle, at 20-40% of the cost of some of our competitors. It's a win-win for both of us.

Q: What about a warranty?

A: We offer a full, one year warranty on every product we sell, even these development products.

Q: Can you make other interior parts? Exterior parts?

A: Probably. We're focusing on interior trim parts for now, and might be open to simple overlaid exterior parts. Email us if you'd like a quote.

Q: You didn't answer a question I had.

A:
Shoot an email to matt@ocarbon.com and I'll do my best to help you.

Last edited by oCarbon; 06-05-2013 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
email sent :-)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
That white CF is just delicious. If I didn't already have CF wrapped interior I'd take advantage.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Originally Posted by Sidv22
email sent :-)
I'll get you some info in a little bit.

Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
That white CF is just delicious. If I didn't already have CF wrapped interior I'd take advantage.
It's actually an aluminum coated fiberglass (silver "carbon fiber"). Real carbon fiber can not be colored or dyed.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:53 PM

C63 coupe EVO X(sold) WRX (sold)
send you an email
Old 06-04-2013, 12:06 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
C63
email sent
Old 06-04-2013, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by oCarbon
It's actually an aluminum coated fiberglass (silver "carbon fiber"). Real carbon fiber can not be colored or dyed.
Actually it can.... http://jalopnik.com/this-colorful-ca...o-be-477762620

The process is very intensive and time consuming.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Originally Posted by VaclavSV
Actually it can.... http://jalopnik.com/this-colorful-ca...o-be-477762620

The process is very intensive and time consuming.
I don't think the actual fabric is dyed. That is probably a dye/pigment in the epoxy.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Email sent!
Old 06-05-2013, 02:09 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
I added an FAQ to the original post.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
I don't get it, why don't you just buy the parts from Mercedes, make it work then sell it?
Old 06-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
I don't get it, why don't you just buy the parts from Mercedes, make it work then sell it?
Each set we make requires a core. Once we get a few of these sets under our belt, we'll start acquiring extra cores and work on a core deposit system.

Last edited by oCarbon; 06-05-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
I just emailed you my entire car. Please email it back in full CF when you are finished! J/K email sent.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Lots of interest, but no one has pulled the trigger yet. I might be willing to lower the price a little bit for those who want to be daring and get a custom fabric (silver, red, blue, or one of the custom black weaves).

Shoot me an email at matt@ocarbon.com if you'd like to set something up.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Hey Matt,

I actually pulled the trigger on this. Hoping it all looks good. What are some of the custom black weaves? What does the red or blue look like?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
I am interested to see how the custom fabrics look. I might pull the trigger if the price is appealing.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
I actually pulled the trigger on this. Hoping it all looks good.
I'm not counting you, because no one has pulled the trigger on a full set yet.

What are some of the custom black weaves? What does the red or blue look like?
Many more pics here: http://ocarbon.com/blog/

Originally Posted by Sidv22
I am interested to see how the custom fabrics look. I might pull the trigger if the price is appealing.
Shoot me an email with what you're interested in and I'll get you a quote.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by oCarbon
I'm not counting you, because no one has pulled the trigger on a full set yet.
Gotcha!

I think I'll stick to regular black carbon fiber to match the interior trim.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Gotcha!

I think I'll stick to regular black carbon fiber to match the interior trim.
That would be my suggestion as well. The only other thing, which might look very cool, is doing the center console in silver, to add some contrast.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:04 PM

2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Trigger pulled on mine as well. I'd like to see that yellow/black installed if you have any pics from previous installation. It may go with the color direction I am taking with the car.
Old 06-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

GLI
Originally Posted by JRSJR65
Trigger pulled on mine as well. I'd like to see that yellow/black installed if you have any pics from previous installation. It may go with the color direction I am taking with the car.
I don't have any good ones, unfortunately. Here are all the yellow pics I have: http://ocarbon.com/blog/tag/yellow/

Old 06-11-2013, 02:31 PM

2016 C63S AMG SEDAN
Not so sure LOL pretty contrasting color scheme. May make it difficult to sell car later! I will start taking car apart this week and try and get you pieces sent out next week sometime.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 AM

C63 Coupe Edition 1
really nice! u should think about doing Carbon Fiber steering wheel
Old 06-12-2013, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
That yellow does not look good at all

Sorry the black is way better
Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 AM

2011 Polar White C63 AMG
Matt redid my b6 s4 trim a few years back. My experience-

Took much longer than I was informed it would take honestly. Received my trim pieces back with cracks in the cclearcot and several very prominent imperfections, and some trim pieces had the news paper used to wrap them adhered to the clearcoat finish... Had then to have them redone. The process was easily 4 months between my trim being done 2 times.

Would I use ocarbon again however?? Absolutely.

My FINAL end product was beautiful. Perfectly done. A very high gloss smooth sheen finish over a quality carbon fiber. All pieces mounted back in and looked great in my s4. There were issues yes, but climate may have had an impact on the issues I dealt with. At the end of the day matt fixed everything and I had trim that really looked excellent. I will be honest, I became very frustrated in the several months without any trim but at the end of the day I was very happy. Matt is prompt on his communication too and that always helps as there is nothing worse than a business with bad customer service that leaves you hanging. I hope any volunteers like their trim, im sure they will. Matts work is flawless IMO.. Muuuchhhhh cheaper than buying some OEM cf trim if cf is your thing and looks just as good. Many guys over on audizine would speak highly of matt and ocarbon....

Good to see ocarbon on a mercedes forum!

Last edited by plague; 06-12-2013 at 09:02 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: oCarbon.com - looking for a few members to help us develop carbon fiber interior trim