Almost Totalled my car... advise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Almost Totalled my car... advise

So today I was driving down a city street here in Waterloo which is two lanes in either direction and city parking set in from the two lanes so the right lane although free is quite tight. I was approaching an intersection in the right lane where the light was red but I saw the light would become green before I got into the intersection so I continued at my speed (which was slower than the limit of 50km/h because the lane is tight). Just before entering the intersection a FEDEX truck turns left and almost hits me as Im proceeding straight through. Thankfully I was in S+ and SPORT and yanked the wheel to the right and pulled a perfect last second 90 degree drift-turn and missed the truck by what felt like millimetres! I saved my car and we didnt touch. I pulled to the right and parked as the FEDEX driver did so as well. He began screaming at me telling me I am an idiot and was going "Way over the speed limit" ... I wasnt because there was enough traffic and lots of pedestrian traffic not to mention the rediculous bumps which I cant take over 50km/h lowered on H&Rs. I took a picture of his plate and told him he should be aware that traffic could be coming through on a green light in the right lane despite the person was stopped in the left making a left turn. I was very calm for some odd reason but the guy was livid as if I did something wrong, Thankfully a older woman saw the incident and told me that I entered the intersection on the green (as it was green for about 3 seconds). I have her phone number and she said she would testify if she needed me too. Im tempted to go to the police station and see if they got the event on camera as I know I had done absolutely nothing wrong and actually saved a collision!
Old 06-20-2013, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan

Everytime you post about how you get into these situations I just can't stop thinking how DANGEROUS you are...
Old 06-20-2013, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG

Everytime you post about how you get into these situations I just can't stop thinking how DANGEROUS you are...
Thanks for the support. -Noted.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my wife bananas! :D
sajun, glad no one was hurt and you and car are ok

unless the fedex guy files a complaint there really isnt anything you need to do.

if you are feeling pissed off however, you can contact fedex customer service and log a complaint against him

Last edited by Fung63; 06-20-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
I agree with Fung. First, I'm glad there wasn't accident. Second, since there was no accident, nothing will happen. At least here in LA, the cops don't give a crap in these instances. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:11 PM

09 C63 K2
Glad, we did not miss one AMG car in Waterloo
Even if we are right, we always fail having an accident.
I remember that I was told in a driver's school to turn my head left/right before entering the intersection. I do not do it now but always worry about somebody turning left and cross my lane.
Few days ago installed video HD cam (bought it in Russia) to record a road in front of the car. It will help in situations like this.

Last edited by vkam; 06-20-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
I would just let it go. Glad everything turned out well, bet that was a sweet drift!

Nothing can happen though short of filing a complaint at fedex and then at most he gets a slap on the wrist.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:21 PM

dreams
you should drive more defensively and have approached the intersection with more caution, anticipating that someone might have tried to beat their yellow or blow through the red.. especially in a dense area.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
There was no accident, so what exactly do you want the forum members to advise you on? Are you mad that he hurt your feelings when he yelled at you for going too fast or being inattentive?

Pay attention to the road and these things won't happen to you. Is this your definition of under 50km? lolz

Old 06-20-2013, 01:26 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You should've told the guy you won't be using fedex anymore.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:40 PM

C63
Good to know you're fine Sajun. That was close! Maybe it's time for the blackvue camera.

That fedex guy was just being a brute. Sometimes they drive like they're race car drivers. I know it's frustrating but it's not worth letting him ruin your day. You did the right thing by staying calm! Now this Sunday we'll ask the models to help calm this bad boy down.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
I would just call Fedex and complain about his driving. leave it at that. And if you happen to run into him, sweep the leg.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
^^ lol.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
none
I had to break up your post as one paragraph was very difficult to read.
Anyways you have the right of way. It doesnt matter how fast you were going.

No one got hurt and no ones car was damaged so don't bother going to police asking for traffic cam footage. They probably don't have access to it and they have better things to do and you may be laughed at. Traffic Cam footage is usually viewed by state, or county transportation management agencies. Their purpose is to monitor traffic, coordinate accident scenes with emergency vehicles and to gauge response time of emergency vehicles. They arent generally used in civil altercations.

If you feel you must do something, contact FEDEX Customer Service and give them the tag info.
FEDEX drivers are independent contractors here in the states (well most of them i think). It may be as well up there in the woods where you are at. They may give him his pay in loonies for what he did.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:02 PM

09 C63 K2
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
There was no accident, so what exactly do you want the forum members to advise you on? Are you mad that he hurt your feelings when he yelled at you for going too fast or being inattentive?
Sharing bad experience might help somebody else to avoid similar situation
Old 06-20-2013, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by moosejaw
I had to break up your post as one paragraph was very difficult to read.
Anyways you have the right of way. It doesnt matter how fast you were going.

No one got hurt and no ones car was damaged so don't bother going to police asking for traffic cam footage. They probably don't have access to it and they have better things to do and you may be laughed at. Traffic Cam footage is usually viewed by state, or county transportation management agencies. Their purpose is to monitor traffic, coordinate accident scenes with emergency vehicles and to gauge response time of emergency vehicles. They arent generally used in civil altercations.

If you feel you must do something, contact FEDEX Customer Service and give them the tag info.
FEDEX drivers are independent contractors here in the states (well most of them i think). It may be as well up there in the woods where you are at. They may give him his pay in loonies for what he did.

what you said might make alot of sense. but without that hula hoop gif in your sig... just doesnt have the same authority anymore bring it back!
Old 06-20-2013, 02:26 PM

2009 C63 P30
I would report it to fedex so the dooshbag slows down. The only way a close call like that should happen is if someone was running a red, or one person was running a red and the other was possibly "over anticipating" the green.

I commute on motorcycles as it has significant traffic advantages and ever since I went over the front of a blind 90 year old woman in a cadilac who turned left in front of me I'm WAY more attentive to what oncoming left turning traffic is doing, anticipating at all times a boner move from some blind toolbag. Her statement for the police report was literally... blank...as she had no idea what had happened. Luckily there were witnesses that attested to everything so her insurance covered my totaled bike.

There would be a lot less accidents out there if people were forced to learn how to ride before they drove LOL... oh and mandatory vision retesting (take THAT Florida!!)
Old 06-20-2013, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As far as Ill get I guess... At least it was acknowledged!

Almost Totalled my car... advise-9ceksxj.png

Last edited by VaclavSV; 06-20-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
You should've been more specific in your report to Fedex. Glad you're okay.

2 weeks ago I saw a taxi cab here in nyc running a red light (light was red for about 6 seconds already), and BOOM the idiot hits another car going fast in the middle of the intersection. It was pretty graphic. I saw the douche talking to his passenger in the back, I bet he was trying to make up a story before the cops came.

I'm already a very defensive driver but since I saw that live accident, I'm even more careful and I slow down and honk every time I cross an intersection when it just turned green. These taxi cabs here in NYC don't care AT ALL about what they hit.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ms3008
Good to know you're fine Sajun. That was close! Maybe it's time for the blackvue camera.
I was going to say the same and time to call Alex over at blackboxmycar dot com. Vegas drivers are notorious for running red lights a few seconds after they turn red. There won't always be a little old lady to save OP's butt.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:11 PM

'09 C63 P30 Eurocharged
Glad to hear you're ok.

Close calls like that are always scary, but it feels good if you were able to act and avert it somehow.

Last edited by Ratven; 06-20-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
That Top Gun pic is hilarious for this situation.

However, I'm glad you're alright. It could've been nasty. Based on what I've read, I probably would've taken the light the same way, especially if I was familiar with the patterns. That guy was just belligerent because he's in denial he could've killed someone.

I would definitely report him with bad much specifics as possible. Say that you have witnesses to back you up, but I probably wouldn't volunteer their info just yet, depending on how FedEx says they'll handle it.

If it had ended badly, what would you have reported? Treat it like that.

My buddy got nailed my a red light runner. Luckily, he was on a Can-Am Spyder and not a motorcycle. He only broke some ribs and punctured a lung. Had he been on 2 wheels, it would've been significantly worse.

Call me a squeaky wheel, but I would report that to the head of whatever division that guy would report to. Just keep asking for someone's boss. Eventually, you'll get through.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Glad nothing happened too. Stay safe out there
Old 06-20-2013, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
glad you were able to dodge it... even though a person can be cautious and doing everything right, something unexpected can still happen...

i've seen a few of these videos from different states...

and i'm just watching in awe... i just don't understand how it happens...

there are some instances when the light turned red while they were trying to beat it... but then there are some that are just plain crazy...

like this one...

the cars who had the green light actually left pretty late... if any of them left when it turned green... there could have been a crash
Old 06-20-2013, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63 Coupe
Help me understand, what are you reporting? That the FedEx driver was mean to you? I have not driven in Waterloo, but in Houston, driving is a full contact sport.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Almost Totalled my car... advise