C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2009 C63 with M156 engine tapping issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
2009 C63 with M156 engine tapping issue

Hi, I picked up a 2009 C63 with 57k miles from a local 'Euro' type dealer a couple of weeks ago. The purchase went okay, but seems that I have ended up with a problem M156 engine. The car did come with a warranty, so the dealer is either going to replace the car with something comparable (another C63, M3, maybe a S4, etc) OR fix the tapping with this C63. I have read through a lot of the threads on the tapping issues with these engines, but am trying to narrow down the cause so that I can negotiate with the dealer.

Symptoms:
1) Light clicking noise when cold increases to a true tapping noise as the engine warms up
2) Noise sounds loudest from the center of the engine (intake manifold). I tried to localize the noise to the right of left valve cover, but wasn't able to pin it down conclusively
3) After driving 10+ minutes at speed with a warm engine and then coming to a stop, the engine will be quite for 1-2 minutes then the tapping starts again
4) After a spirited drive on backroads and coming to a stop (hot oil temps), the tapping is very pronounced

Is there enough history with other failures to say whether this is likely to be: valve buckets, cam adjusters, worn cam shaft lobes, ???

Thanks for the help!
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
As I was saying in the other thread there was/is a class action suit related to improper cam wear and one of the symptoms was a loud ticking. I have personally never seen or known anyone that has had this issue.

here is a link to an article related to cam wear lawsuit

http://wot.motortrend.com/mercedes-b...#axzz2XvAvdBpk

There is also a headbolt issue on pre-2010 car, lots of threads in this forum related to the headbolt topic.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:38 AM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by jrcart
As I was saying in the other thread there was/is a class action suit related to improper cam wear and one of the symptoms was a loud ticking. I have personally never seen or known anyone that has had this issue.

here is a link to an article related to cam wear lawsuit

http://wot.motortrend.com/mercedes-b...#axzz2XvAvdBpk

There is also a headbolt issue on pre-2010 car, lots of threads in this forum related to the headbolt topic.
Thank you for the info. Sounds like I need to send this C63 back to the dealer asap... Too bad, as the car is extremely clean inside and out. Not a single ding and interior barely shows signs of use. Good thing the engine issue came up quickly. The dealer has a minimum 15 day warranty on the engine and transmission of all used cars which they sell, so I won't be stuck with the bill at least.

Sorry about creating two threads on the same subject. The forum wouldn't allow me to edit the title of the first thread, so thought it would be easier to have it deleted.

Thanks again
Old 07-03-2013, 03:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
If you can get the full "dealer fix" for this issue under warranty as a number here have, that'll be a huge bonus going forward.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:20 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by bhamg
If you can get the full "dealer fix" for this issue under warranty as a number here have, that'll be a huge bonus going forward.
The noise the car makes is the same as in the Youtube video in the thread "C63 ticking" posted today.

Does anyone know whether the cams normally have to be replaced as well, when installing the SLS valve buckets?
Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
I would have the cam adjusters replaced first. They can cause a loud ticking.

if that doesn't solve it, your next option is lifters, they can become noisy as well.

Ive had two m156s, one has noisy lifters and adjusters, the other the adjusters were extremely noisy but the lifters sound fine.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by hightechrdn
The noise the car makes is the same as in the Youtube video in the thread "C63 ticking" posted today.

Does anyone know whether the cams normally have to be replaced as well, when installing the SLS valve buckets?
No you dont replace the cam.

when you get a new cam typically you should get new lifters.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
2001 Porsche 911 Turbo (heavily modified)
Originally Posted by Merc63
I would have the cam adjusters replaced first. They can cause a loud ticking.

if that doesn't solve it, your next option is lifters, they can become noisy as well.

Ive had two m156s, one has noisy lifters and adjusters, the other the adjusters were extremely noisy but the lifters sound fine.
After reading a ton of threads on here it seems many M156 engines have noisy versions of one of these (adjusters/lifters) but they dont break. Just another part of owning an M156. Mine taps and knocks throught the pedal as well and sometimes becomes audible. With my car it only happens when stopped and waiting at lights. I thought it was cams cause the rhythm was cam rhythm knocking but only at stops. I heard the MCT speedshift in the 2012+ models can also make this feeling. I dont know how that trans would make noise but it could be possible. All the star system checks by Benz said my car checks out just fine. No check engine light. I have factory warranty until 2017 so if the motor doesnt pop by then Ill sell the car right before. If it pops before that, then it goes to dealer to get fixed.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:12 AM

C 63 AMG 2009
Spargplugs are loose.