Bumper protector

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Bumper protector

Man, am I tired of idiots who can't park. I'm thinking of taking drastic and aesthetically unpleasing measures. Anyone buy one of these things: http://www.parkingarmor.com/photo_gallery_bumper_guards_protection.html
Old 07-12-2013, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 AMG
Jesus, is it that bad where you live? Park far away from the doors.

Those things look awful and I would be more worried about kids kicking it than someone backing into me.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Lol, I didn't think about that. But yes, it's bad, but only in some tight lots that I need to park in.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 G500, 09 C63
It's so true, people around here suck at parallel parking. It's like "crunch" - okay that's how much room I have back there... "crunch" - and that's the front.. They don't even try to avoid bumping.

I've very briefly considered one of those bumper guards but in the end, way too aesthetically unpleasing lol. And I wonder if someone will ram you harder just cause you have one. I've gotten lucky in the C so far, but man, attempting to pick the "best" spot and setting yourself up for the least possibility of damage can be a stressful activity.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obsidian Black 2009 C63 w/ P30 Package
I havent seen anyone use it here but in NYC. I see A LOT of cars from audi, mb, bmw to hondas and toyotas with http://www.bumperbully.com/
The following users liked this post:
NewYorker555 (11-18-2019)
Old 07-13-2013, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Obsidian Black 2009 C63 w/ P30 Package
Originally Posted by kechy
It's so true, people around here suck at parallel parking. It's like "crunch" - okay that's how much room I have back there... "crunch" - and that's the front.. They don't even try to avoid bumping.

I've very briefly considered one of those bumper guards but in the end, way too aesthetically unpleasing lol. And I wonder if someone will ram you harder just cause you have one. I've gotten lucky in the C so far, but man, attempting to pick the "best" spot and setting yourself up for the least possibility of damage can be a stressful activity.
Are you in Chicago as well?

Everytime I go out to the mall/ downtown I try to find a parking structure instead. When I go out to the bars I try to avoid taking me car in general
Old 07-16-2013, 07:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2000 E55
in NYC you see the bumper guards quite frequently. some even use this heavily padded guard that wraps the whole front grill/bumper. honestly, if you want your car to stand a chance on the NYC streets you need to have something. otherwise people wont stop backing up or pulling forward until they hit you.

i bought the bumper bully but haven't really put it to the test since I normally take my beater when i go to the city. i have it in the event i'm forced to park my C63 on the street. the frustrating thing is the effort you put into avoiding ppl dinging or scuffing your bumper but the more it seems to happen. some ppl just park their car where ever and nothing happens! i just recently got a small ding on my driver side rear door and it's such an eye sore to me.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
I know how it is. the more you try to avoid, the more dings you get. I park like at the end of the lot, with half my car off the yellow line, so that ***** would have space on their side. They decide to park right next to me anyway.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 PM

2000 E55
Originally Posted by khmergod
I know how it is. the more you try to avoid, the more dings you get. I park like at the end of the lot, with half my car off the yellow line, so that ***** would have space on their side. They decide to park right next to me anyway.
yup, that sounds about right
Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Interesting... never seen those bumper guards before but I can certainly see their appeal.

On the other hand, I can also see some a$$h01e taking a swipe at it on purpose. Don't know about the US, but in Toronto there is an element of the population that for some reason takes issue with you having a nicer car than their beat-up 5h!tb0x and do nasty things on purpose, from speeding up on purpose when you're trying to change lanes or merge, to keying your car or giving you a nice door ding in the parking lot. I can see that thing encouraging them to give you a little "nudge" on purpose with their beat-up SUV.

Never had a bumper scratch on my old Volvo, though. Probably something to do with the sharp bolts holding the front licence plate at the very front of the bumper or the tow hook / bike rack bar at the back.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM

2000 E55
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Interesting... never seen those bumper guards before but I can certainly see their appeal.

On the other hand, I can also see some a$$h01e taking a swipe at it on purpose. Don't know about the US, but in Toronto there is an element of the population that for some reason takes issue with you having a nicer car than their beat-up 5h!tb0x and do nasty things on purpose, from speeding up on purpose when you're trying to change lanes or merge, to keying your car or giving you a nice door ding in the parking lot. I can see that thing encouraging them to give you a little "nudge" on purpose with their beat-up SUV.

Never had a bumper scratch on my old Volvo, though. Probably something to do with the sharp bolts holding the front licence plate at the very front of the bumper or the tow hook / bike rack bar at the back.

I think whenever you completely stand out in the crowd you run the risk of some jerk messing with your stuff. In NY there are enough ppl using them so it's nothing unusual. I would guess that you would see some sort of bumper protector every 2 streets in NYC.

They also have these front license plate frames with a piece of mental sticking out so when someone backs into you they bump that piece first. The less aggressive type is the bump shox front plate rubber guard.

Hitches/bike racks do wonders! lol