C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

AMG Academy at Lime Rock in September - Worth It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
AMG Academy at Lime Rock in September - Worth It?

For someone who has had no track time... is this the best way to have a flavor? Price sounds steep versus other options.

Is dumping $1800 here better than a day with an instructor in my own car for $300 + Insurance at NJ Motor Sports Park?

http://www.njmp.com/on-track-experiences.html
Old 07-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 DUCATI 1198S
Depends on what you want to get out of it. The AMG Academy is expensive, but you have to keep in mind the overhead. You get to beat up almost the entire line up of AMG cars, to include the SLS. Afterwards you don't have to worry about getting new brake pads, rotors, or tires. If something happens to one of the cars, their insurance covers it. They also have to rent the track, and cover the cost of fuel, tires, maintenance, transport, instructers, food, beverages, etc., for 30+ vehicles and however many students. We had about 40 students when I attended at Fontana AutoClub Speedway. It was fun to experience a variety of AMG's in a track environment, as opposed to just driving your own all the time. If you're more focused on tracking your own car only with no desire to experience the other AMG's on the track, then clearly the Academy would be a waste of money. You would just use that money to get new tires, breaks, and maintenance on your own car depending on how hard your track it. When you do the math, tracking your own car could possibly cost the same as the Academy (Basic Training).

Last edited by NellyRod; 07-13-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:53 PM

09 C300 4MATIC, 09 C63 AMG
i highly recommend the academy as you get to experience the cars in a variety of ways.

for example, you get to spend time on the skidpad learning to drift with out having to worry about new tires.

basically you will walk away a far better driver with a much deeper respect and understanding for the capabilities of AMGs.

all in all, it will make you love and appreciate your car a lot more while also instilling with in you more confidence on how to handle it safely. this might sound boring, but basically learning these things helps you not only be safer, but much faster as well. this translates to more fun and pleasure from the driving experience.
Old 07-13-2013, 01:56 PM

plus as the previous person mentioned, you get to drive AMGs flat out for 8 hours with out having to worry about any replacements.

for example, i did a 2 day DE in early June in which i did about 5-6 20 minute sessions. i have an 09 C63 as well.

between new tires, new front brakes, oil change, and brake fluid flush, i spent nearly 5k.

the cost of front brakes alone is over 2k, so do the math.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:49 PM

C63 coupe
I am also going to Lime Rock it was included with my purchase.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
It was an absolute blast. Different than having an instructor in your own car...if your goal is to get into road racing or competition, then do something else. If your goal is to romp on cars for a day, learn about the fundamentals, drive every AMG in performance conditions, have a catered/coordinated day....can't go wrong, it's an amazing experience.

And if you earn it, you can get a helmet and/or other goodies to make up some of the cost
Old 07-13-2013, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GTBS, AMG GTR Pro, AMG GT, C63 AMG, Porsche Panamera 4S, RX-7 FC Turbo II
Laughing at the idea that the AMG Challenge is more cost effective than a weekend HPDE. It is not, not even close. The AMG Challenge is a great and a fun event (especially if it is free) and you will be able to see if you are interested doing HPDEs. If you like it and want to continue to do track events I guaranty that you will do HPDEs because of cost---much cheaper and you really get to drive. Plus, you really might like the experience of driving your own car.

If you already have the idea that you might want to do multiple track events, I would skip the Challenge and get on with it.

Last edited by Case1906; 07-13-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by landsteam
I am also going to Lime Rock it was included with my purchase.
OK...I'm in. The weekend is booked (including Friday the 13th) so I'll be there Monday.

Now... for those of you that have done it... will I want to drive the three hours home that night because I'll be jacked or do I want to not be in a car after being in one all day pushing the limits...
Old 07-22-2013, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dogtag114
OK...I'm in. The weekend is booked (including Friday the 13th) so I'll be there Monday.

Now... for those of you that have done it... will I want to drive the three hours home that night because I'll be jacked or do I want to not be in a car after being in one all day pushing the limits...
You will probably be excited to get in your car and yet also quite bored to have to go back to boring mundane legal driving world.