C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Choice between M3 and C63 just got easier

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW X1 xDrive35i; 2014 BMW M5 competition
Choice between M3 and C63 just got easier

I'm looking to upgrade from my S4 in the very near future. I narrowed my choice down to an M3 or a C63 (I know, very original, right?). Anyway, I was at the BMW dealer yesterday, and basically there are no M3 coupes available, whatsoever. Every single car is spoken for except for a few 'frozen editions' which I'm not interested in. So it's got to be a C63 - which is where I probably would've ended up anyway. Now I just have to decide if I want to splurge for the 507 ... There've got to be a lot of people in my position, so I wonder if C63 sales will spike over the next year or so ... at least until the M4 comes out?
Old 07-16-2013, 09:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
Don't forget that in 2015 the new C63 is coming also. Do you plan on modding? If you do, purchasing a slightly used C63 [PP or not] may be the better route as you will save a lot of money on the 507.

Good luck!
Old 07-16-2013, 10:26 PM

2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 DUCATI 1198S
By a used 2012. That way you get the MCT and you won't have to worry about the head bolt issue. You'll save some money over a new one, and could put that into mods which will outperform a stock 507 edition.
Old 07-16-2013, 10:38 PM

c63
was the oil cooler problem fixed on the 2013s? i know its generally not an issue unless you're tracking but chatter regarding the problem kind of fizzled after the initial reports of a dealer update flash.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Current: Cadillac CTS-V (V2), Chevy Cruze Past: E55k
Hey check this out: http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/7/1...-Game-7715312/

I thought this car was dead, but it's game on. It doesn't have the pedigree of a AMG or M, but it might be a decent alternative if you want to be different.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:36 AM

2013 E92 M3, 2013 C63 AMG
Glad i ordered the m3 before it ran out and got the c63 before they would have run out. Love them both! Good luck w your search
Old 07-17-2013, 12:59 AM

2015 Porsche C2S, 2014 ML63 AMG, & 2012 Maserati Quattroporte S
Originally Posted by Hotsoss
Hey check this out: http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2013/7/1...-Game-7715312/

I thought this car was dead, but it's game on. It doesn't have the pedigree of a AMG or M, but it might be a decent alternative if you want to be different.
Hmmm... Thank for the links! Getting real interesting
Old 07-17-2013, 06:45 AM

There are definitely going to be several very interesting options coming out in the next two years. But: (1) I'm too impatient to wait that long; and (2) I want a car with a big, gas guzzling, loud, angry engine before they're all extinct or outlawed.
Old 07-17-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
MY19AMG GT-C; MY14C63-507 - former Audi B6 S4
Same as you (Currently drive an 04 S4)

Hi,

As a soon to be former Audi driver, I feel your contemplation. I have a slightly modifed 04 S4 (no supercharger...just basic bolt-ons with a Unitronic Tune) now with over 132K on the clock. I ended up going with the C63 507 mostly due to the fact I live in NYC and I need something similar in length to the S4. I'm going to lease this one and wait for the next engine to come out (whatever flavor the TT will be in). That ought to be a good one for tuning! As we know from our Audis, the tuning potential for a FI engine is just soooooooooooooo good!

If you can get down to Florida, I would recommend renting from Hertz as there are C63s and E63s available. None of them have the Performance Package but it would be a good "test drive" for you. I rented the E63 and it was rather nice. Different feeling than my S4 with the tune and Race Clutch/Lightweight flywheel but the speed just comes up rather quick. I imagine the new RS6/7 Audi has are similar.

Good luck.

-C
Old 07-17-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by chris135b
Hi,

As a soon to be former Audi driver, I feel your contemplation. I have a slightly modifed 04 S4 (no supercharger...just basic bolt-ons with a Unitronic Tune) now with over 132K on the clock. I ended up going with the C63 507 mostly due to the fact I live in NYC and I need something similar in length to the S4. I'm going to lease this one and wait for the next engine to come out (whatever flavor the TT will be in). That ought to be a good one for tuning! As we know from our Audis, the tuning potential for a FI engine is just soooooooooooooo good!

If you can get down to Florida, I would recommend renting from Hertz as there are C63s and E63s available. None of them have the Performance Package but it would be a good "test drive" for you. I rented the E63 and it was rather nice. Different feeling than my S4 with the tune and Race Clutch/Lightweight flywheel but the speed just comes up rather quick. I imagine the new RS6/7 Audi has are similar.

Good luck.

-C
Which MB dealer did you place your order with? I'm up in Westchester and will probably go to MB of White Plains. Also, can you give me a ballpark of the financial details of the lease (how much down, how much per month)? I hadn't considered a lease before, but it sounds like a good idea, especially if I end up being tempted by a 2015 when they come out.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63, C55 (Sold)
The new IS-F looks promising. Both BMW M and Lexus F divisions chose the same approach for the engine: An I6/V6 Turbo. Still think that AMG with the future 4.0 V8 TT will trump both. Let's see what happens. This is getting very interesting, I can wait!

Nice improvement for the IS-F looks, a-la LFA! At least it doesn't have that annoying bulge on the hood... I just can't digest those exhaust tips. What's wrong with the side-to-side layout??
Old 07-17-2013, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Just dumped my 25quattro B7 S4 after purchasing a C63 in January. The S4/S5 (past or present models) are nowhere near the M3 or C63 in terms of performance, power or for that matter, handling. The RS4 or RS5 would be a closer competitor to the M3 and C63 - the S4/S5 cars are one step up from the base A4/A5 and directly competing with the 335ix and C350 4Matic.

The E63 is a completely different beast - I have driven one on a number of occasions but comparing it to an S4 is like comparing the S4 to a Lotus Elise. Aside from having four wheels and an engine, they have very little in common. Different animals altogether.

One thing that I am pretty sure of though is that you'll like the C63 a *LOT* better than your S4... until you have snow on the ground and you just want to go out and play, in which case the Audi is indeed more fun.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
^^^^It looks SICK!!!

Old 07-17-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 coupe P31, '11 G37s, '12 RR Evoque Prestige '10 QX56
^It sure does. This pic shows a vent in the hood, I like the aggressive styling.

Depending on what's under the hood of this RC-F, the next C63, and the M is going to be the deciding factor for my next dd. I don't think I'll ever get rid of this C though, we bonded on the autobahn.

OP, go with the C63. Acceleration/noise/torque, it's a wonderful thing.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Just dumped my 25quattro B7 S4 after purchasing a C63 in January. The S4/S5 (past or present models) are nowhere near the M3 or C63 in terms of performance, power or for that matter, handling. The RS4 or RS5 would be a closer competitor to the M3 and C63 - the S4/S5 cars are one step up from the base A4/A5 and directly competing with the 335ix and C350 4Matic.

The E63 is a completely different beast - I have driven one on a number of occasions but comparing it to an S4 is like comparing the S4 to a Lotus Elise. Aside from having four wheels and an engine, they have very little in common. Different animals altogether.

One thing that I am pretty sure of though is that you'll like the C63 a *LOT* better than your S4... until you have snow on the ground and you just want to go out and play, in which case the Audi is indeed more fun.
agree with you here except for the snow part. ESC off and an empty parking lot = a ton of fun haha
Old 07-17-2013, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Hey Tim,

Done that. ESC off in an empty parking lot in a C63 = wife feeling very sick and driver dizzy from all the spinning.

The Audi on the other hand (the 25q had a Torsen T3 diff - 40/60 front/rear split) would get into these lurid, four-wheel power slides at three times the speed that I could carry with the Benz. Going sideways fast, with the rear still stepping out more than the front so you could throttle-steer it and 20' snow roosters shooting up from both front and rear wheels. Trust me - the Audi was a better rally car, although to be perfectly honest, it was almost *TOO* good - it always lulled you into a false sense of how good the traction was until you had to stop or suddenly change direction. FWD, RWD or AWD only make a difference when accelerating - the rest is all in the tires and the weight. At least in the C63 I know exactly how slippery it is on unplowed streets in February.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
MY19AMG GT-C; MY14C63-507 - former Audi B6 S4
Originally Posted by frcotting
Which MB dealer did you place your order with? I'm up in Westchester and will probably go to MB of White Plains. Also, can you give me a ballpark of the financial details of the lease (how much down, how much per month)? I hadn't considered a lease before, but it sounds like a good idea, especially if I end up being tempted by a 2015 when they come out.
Hi there.

I ended up going with MB of Nanuet. My wife has a colleague at work that purchased a vehicle from them and had great things to say. For the Audi, I used Palisades Audi so we know the area up in Rockland very well. Many Palisades Mall trips. I was going to go with MB of Manhattan. However, after doing some research, there were some interesting stories about the dealer and the service department. Would much rather go with someone that got positive feedback.

For the financing, nothing has been done yet. My car won't be built into early September. I put down a deposit on the car. With the work discount, the deposit and the trade in on the S4, we'll be in real good shape. Right now, MB is running a special on C Class leases. Once the car is delievered, we'll most likely go with whatever deal is out at the time from MB. Keep in mind, the MSRP for the sedan is $70K and I think the coupe is $72.5K. If you search this forum, someone posted up the Dealer Ordering Guide for the car. Everything in the guide matched up with the options my sales consultant and I worked out. The 507 package is $9750.

To Diabolis' point - the E63 was hands down a different animal to the S4. The fit, finish, bells and whistles, seat bolsters that automatically inflate due to lateral Gs (how cool is that?!?!?), leather, dinamica, steering wheel, A/C unit, etc. is so far beyond the Audi. Granted, my Audi is 10 years old. But from what I've seen in the new loaners, MB takes the cake on the interior.
Power wise, hands down the car was MUCH more powerful than the S4. But to me, I didn't feel it. Maybe Hertz detuned it (don't think so given the alleged speeds I hit so quickly ) or the terrible tires they had on the rears (not Pirelli or Continental.) Either way, I was expecting an uncontrollable, torque crazy, almost too much power car. From a slam your head back to the seat feeling, the car was very subdued even with the race start. It was very tail happy and would oversteer QUITE easily. Now, granted, my car feels very quick with the Stg. 3 DXD Racing clutch/flywheel combination and the tune. Another thing is it was hot down in Fort Lauderdale when we had the car. So, I'm sure heat soak played a factor. Also, I've been watching F1 since I was a small boy so speed is relative to my eye. However, I can say that getting up to highway speed with little room was much faster, efficient and way easier with the E. I ran the fuel down quite low and dropped some Shell in....the car seemed to get quicker (speed coming on faster). Who knows what Hertz dropped in the tank!

Overall, I would say you will enjoy this car. It will be interesting to see how it handles in the Winter in snow (if we get any snow this year....) But, I run the Dunlop 3D Winter Sports on the S4 and plan to do the same with the C. We'll see what happens. Just have to adjust the right foot more and not see the rooster tails behind me on those nice, virgin, unplowed roads! Much more graceful I suppose.

Good luck on the purchase.

-C
Old 07-17-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by frcotting
(2) I want a car with a big, gas guzzling, loud, angry engine before they're all extinct or outlawed.
Can I nominate this as the best comment on these forums for 2013? LOVE IT!
Old 07-17-2013, 05:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG
Nice improvement for the IS-F looks, a-la LFA! At least it doesn't have that annoying bulge on the hood... I just can't digest those exhaust tips. What's wrong with the side-to-side layout??
Those exhaust tips look even worse when you realise that they are fake (ie not connected to the exhaust.) I was shocked to see the same from some of the latest RS models (TTRS RS5) as well.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Bardman
Those exhaust tips look even worse when you realise that they are fake (ie not connected to the exhaust.) I was shocked to see the same from some of the latest RS models (TTRS RS5) as well.
So it wasn't just my imagination playing tricks! I saw one a while back from the side and below (I was basically driving up a parking garage ramp as he drove across the next level in front of me) and I thought I must be imagining things because what I saw were two exhaust tips that appeared to be short little pieces of metal embedded in the bumper - with nothing connected to either one of them! The actual exhaust appeared to be coming from a single pipe venting some 8-12" inside the rear valance. Man, that is just... well, *fake*. WTF?!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by chris135b
Hi there.
Overall, I would say you will enjoy this car. It will be interesting to see how it handles in the Winter in snow (if we get any snow this year....) But, I run the Dunlop 3D Winter Sports on the S4 and plan to do the same with the C. We'll see what happens. Just have to adjust the right foot more and not see the rooster tails behind me on those nice, virgin, unplowed roads! Much more graceful I suppose.

Good luck on the purchase.

-C
Thanks for the info. When I was shopping for my current car last year it came down to the C63 and the S4. I test drove them both several times - The C63 was definitely my favorite, but practicality won out and I ended up pulling the trigger on a '13 S4 (for some reason I wasn't interested in an M3 back then, not sure why). I did the Stasis tune and exhaust as soon as they were available. Don't get me wrong, a tuned S4 is a powerful thing, but I really can't say I'm thrilled with the car. The C63 has been on my mind ever since.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
I have had a 2009 C63 for three years and I'm two years into a 3 year lease on a 2011 E92 M3. You really ought to wait for the upcoming versions of both. If you want to get a used vehicle then I leave that up to you. Both have their unique advantages.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:40 AM

Originally Posted by GBlansten
I have had a 2009 C63 for three years and I'm two years into a 3 year lease on a 2011 E92 M3. You really ought to wait for the upcoming versions of both. If you want to get a used vehicle then I leave that up to you. Both have their unique advantages.
This is exactly what I'm doing. I think that next year there's going to be a lot of options for us to choose. Exciting times.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
^^^^It looks SICK!!!

Ya this looks way better than the Audi RS5.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:53 AM

c63
has anyone driven the F-type v8s yet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Choice between M3 and C63 just got easier