C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 cracked alloy & damaged inner arch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
C63 cracked alloy & damaged inner arch

Hi guys, only recently join on here and wondered if anyone can help or advise.

Had a slow puncture on the rear passenger side. Had two new tyres on the back as I thought this would solve it as they were due to be replaced. Turns out it had two cracks in it!! I have had it welded today but I have just noticed that the inner ache has been damaged due to the tyre doing down. Surely this can't be right, that the car can't get a puncture without damaging the whole inner arch.

I spoke with Merc and they said the wheel is not under warranty (don't know why not!!) and I need to send pictures of the inner arch. Anyone else had the same problems??
Attached Thumbnails C63 cracked alloy & damaged inner arch-image.jpg  
Old 09-05-2013, 10:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
for starters your tire even flat unless it starts coming apart wont damage the liner. wheels also dont crack on there own. neither are product defects. they are consequences of poor driving/accident/pothole etc.... are you sure you had the correct size tires to begin with and didnt bend anything. typically a cracked wheel is a good sign of a very sharp impact that usually bends parts.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:33 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
easy way to tell is to pull the wheel off the other side and have a good look at the wheel arch/liner on that side.
The photo you have shown looks like the car has at some point been running some pretty seriously oversize rear tyres/wheels, probably with the wrong offset. It looks like even part of the shock has been scraped away

Last edited by JimmyR; 09-05-2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,574 Likes on 927 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Took the boot off the shock as well.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:35 AM

C63
Thanks, the wheels are standard 19" amg mulit spoke wheels. the tyres are 235/35/R19 so nothing strange there. I have had no accidents or any mad driving which is why it doesnt make sense. The other side has no damage and only has a dirty patch where the pressure washer doesnt reach. I cleaned the car a week or so ago and no damge was there before so it must be related to the puncture?

i can't believe that the tyre going down causes this damage?
Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
235's should be in the front u should have 255's In the rear and it shouldn't do that.
I ran up to 285's on stock 18's and I'm still running 285's on my aftermarket wheels and never had a issue like that.
I know your running 19's but that shouldn't happen.
Let me ask you something , do u take off from a standstill and hear a sounds like its grinding Something in the rear?
Old 09-06-2013, 10:21 AM

C63
my bad i went by an old invoice, the rears are 255/30/z19. cant hear anything rubbing, but then again the exhausts make so much noise i cant hear much full stop!
Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 PM

E63S
Really strange. Must be then that the slow leak has allowed the tyre wall to bulge outwards, doing all that damage. I would never have thought it was that tight in there.
I think you might well need a new shock absorber, or at least a new rubber boot for it.
Old 09-06-2013, 06:20 PM

2013 P31 C63, 2014 Bluetec ML, 2004 GT3
seriously? even mild rubbing during compression makes a very pronounced sound. to not notice this level of liner wear, the driver would have to be deaf, dumb or simply entirely ignorant.
Old 09-06-2013, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
The inner wheel damage is one concern, what really bothers me is the safety issue with the rims "cracking", rims should not crack on this frequency, period. Bent rims are different and are usually road hazards but to physically crack a rim with no visible signs of contact with a solid object or scuffing, paint or clear damage from holes or curbs then there needs to be some "MB" responsibility here before one of the cracked rims results in a fatality. Take the rim to a Transportation Safety Department and let them investigate it themselves.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by Critter
The inner wheel damage is one concern, what really bothers me is the safety issue with the rims "cracking", rims should not crack on this frequency, period. Bent rims are different and are usually road hazards but to physically crack a rim with no visible signs of contact with a solid object or scuffing, paint or clear damage from holes or curbs then there needs to be some "MB" responsibility here before one of the cracked rims results in a fatality. Take the rim to a Transportation Safety Department and let them investigate it themselves.
its not a mercedes defect its a driver defect, or better yet a road defect. maybe the transportation safety department should buy him a new rim or better yet maintain the ****ty roads so this doesnt happen again.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
I gotta give benefit of the doubt to OP & Critter, if you search the forum you can read 1 too many story about the OEM 19's cracking... not a good thing for AMG, especially they do not take responsibility for this defect.

Rims can bend/crack if you hit a potholes, but I've seen some with hairline cracks w/o the bend.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:20 AM

2002 c240 benz
how do I start a thread on here about my peace of crap Mercedes **** car
Old 09-07-2013, 03:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 AMG SLS, K&N Air Filter, Cargraphic Exhaust, Klassen M51R Wheels
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
for starters your tire even flat unless it starts coming apart wont damage the liner. wheels also dont crack on there own. neither are product defects. they are consequences of poor driving/accident/pothole etc.... are you sure you had the correct size tires to begin with and didnt bend anything. typically a cracked wheel is a good sign of a very sharp impact that usually bends parts.
It might be a fake AMG wheel!
Old 09-07-2013, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Have to disagree Roadalontsi, having never cracked a rim My comments were just a result of the provided pictures in the forum, if there is "no physical damage" seen on the rim from "blunt force trauma" then explain how the rims just crack? Is it a shock loading that does not disrupt the outer structure but attacks the rim internally or stress cracking from high HP+ torque or sudden braking. Truthfully if any of my cars had this safety issue the rims definitely would not be on the car and the dealer (s) MB and others would be involved. IMO
Old 09-07-2013, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
inner wheel lip of my OEM 19 cracked ~1-2 inches
Old 09-07-2013, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Pictures? any sign of damage near crack?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by blake_laney
how do I start a thread on here about my peace of crap Mercedes **** car
well the first step would be selling your car and getting a lexus. they come factory equipped with more options like chrome wheels that are 17" and electric windows. because my lexus never has these problems....
Old 11-22-2013, 06:12 PM

2010 Mercedes c63
Originally Posted by MarkPowell

Had a slow puncture on the rear passenger side. Had two new tyres on the back as I thought this would solve it as they were due to be replaced. Turns out it had two cracks in it!! I have had it welded today but I have just noticed that the inner ache has been damaged due to the tyre doing down. Surely this can't be right, that the car can't get a puncture without damaging the whole inner arch.

I spoke with Merc and they said the wheel is not under warranty (don't know why not!!) and I need to send pictures of the inner arch. Anyone else had the same problems??
I had the same exact issue. purchased an "approved used" 2010 c63 amg with 19in merc wheels in late august. The tire pressure light came on within a month of purchase and i called the dealer and showed it to him. they gave it the ok reset it and refilled the air. I then had the tire pressure light come on again and was losing air and when I took it back in again they this time told me it was cracked and that is why its losing air. Merc refused to accept responsibility despite my proof of email communication complaining about this for the 3 months since i had this car. Instead they gave me a massive bill and said they are not taking the loss. I cant wait to go back to the bmw. always had bmws and with my first merc in the first couple of months i have had nothing but issues. total miles traveled since purchase - about 550 of which 120 back and forth to dealer!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:46 PM

mazda rx7
Originally Posted by MarkPowell

You have to purchase the Appearance package/warranty for them to cover the wheel.

Originally Posted by krish1976
I had the same exact issue. purchased an "approved used" 2010 c63 amg with 19in merc wheels in late august. The tire pressure light came on within a month of purchase and i called the dealer and showed it to him. they gave it the ok reset it and refilled the air. I then had the tire pressure light come on again and was losing air and when I took it back in again they this time told me it was cracked and that is why its losing air. Merc refused to accept responsibility despite my proof of email communication complaining about this for the 3 months since i had this car. Instead they gave me a massive bill and said they are not taking the loss. I cant wait to go back to the bmw. always had bmws and with my first merc in the first couple of months i have had nothing but issues. total miles traveled since purchase - about 550 of which 120 back and forth to dealer!
Was it a CPO? Try contacting MBUSA?