C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Headbolt warning to AMG from Porsche

Old 09-27-2013, 04:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63AMG, NIssan NX2000, Pontiac Fiero GT
Headbolt warning to AMG from Porsche

Perhaps MB AMG should think again about distancing themselves from the breaking headbolt phenomenon in the M 156 engines. The "intermediate shaft bearing failure" class action law suit has been settled for owners of 2001-2005 911's and boxters, according to AUTOWEEK , 16 Sept 13. But even so, weasel words prevail. Also referenced is "imsporschesettlement.com."

Can this finally get more response out of owners of the 6.3 engine in this forum. Time to sit up and take notice. Your pocketbook may be at risk.

Oh,and by the way , now will you please provide broken bolts for evaluation?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
do you even no the failure rate? This is a global forum. Do you know how many dont fail? let it go man. every part is going to fail eventually. you dont hear all the airmatic cars crying there compressor failing or about struts. espeically all the ml/gl/r owners that have struts and bellows on back order from germany with no availability asking for a class action lawsuit. maybe all the abc owners should get together to, and the v12s because there 100k$+ cars are expensive to maintain, since they bought them second or third hand for a fraction of the cost. no one cares but you and you dont need to post about it every week.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your mom
Lol at the response...
Old 09-28-2013, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
do you even no the failure rate? This is a global forum. Do you know how many dont fail? let it go man. every part is going to fail eventually. you dont hear all the airmatic cars crying there compressor failing or about struts. espeically all the ml/gl/r owners that have struts and bellows on back order from germany with no availability asking for a class action lawsuit. maybe all the abc owners should get together to, and the v12s because there 100k$+ cars are expensive to maintain, since they bought them second or third hand for a fraction of the cost. no one cares but you and you dont need to post about it every week.
Know, I don't no the failure rate, but I wish I did . I have axed historians such as you to help with this number. Then we wood no.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Whooooa there. I can understand you getting tired of seeing this kind of thread but I think being that this is a forum, it's always good to know whats going on and updates on this topic. It's just about being informed and knowing the latest with this topic...if something comes up or there is a brand recall or wide spread service update. Would be nice to not have to worry about this $4k expense later...

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 09-28-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Don't lose focus on this motorman, keep up the good work.
Roadtalontsi- go check yur rims for cracs.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
You know what? I care about the failure rate. I care about the possible expense of it.

I just don't care about you and your blathering. You come on here speaking to everyone like you designed the Hadron collider and we all rode the short bus to school and you hector us* to send headbolts to a total stranger. Going on two years of membership you have started 16 threads and fully half of them are in the last two weeks carping on this issue and tell us how the other info on here isn't worth a bucket of your ****. You want to save money on possible headbolt issues? Fine. Understandable. But chewing on other owners wont do it. Get a little rusty pickup truck and cover it in handpainted signs and drive around like all the other wing nuts. Or take some charm school classes so that if it does come up you will know how to charm your dealer, your service rep and the rep from MB.

MAYBE you do know something but even IF you do, you have an incredible credibility gap to overcome here. I dont know who you are. I don't know what you do. I don't know what your qualifications are, if any. I don't know where you came from. I have no idea why you fancy yourself the expert. I don't know what you fancy your role in all of this to be. I will tell you this though - the way you have approached this hasn't won you any fans. Any knowledge that you MAY have to impart is lost because the way you throw it down in the form of tablets from the Mount of Olives. Well, my name ain't Moses and the only guy I know with 12 disciples keeps them under the hood of a CL65 and they WILL make you scream "JESUS". If you think that if you just keep talking people will suddenly recognize your staggering intellect you are wrong. The more you write the more I recognize that you are staggering drunk.

This IS an issue. To those who have experienced it and bled cash to pay for it, it's a massive issue and it requires more attention and more information. But the way you address the members here drowns out whatever message you may have.

I will thank you for one thing tho. Someone was gonna catch crap from me and Im glad it could be you and not my kids. So thanks for being you. Im just not going to accept your opinions as definitive nor am I gonna tuck in formation behind you and play follow the leader.

*No offence intended to anyone named Hector

Last edited by 604 C63; 09-28-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
oh and btw Critter - nice call on the CLK63 cab ownership. Sweet car. I would drop the top til the headbolts done pop! Must be a lot of fun. My dream team would be one of those an a E63 wagon for my wife.
Old 09-28-2013, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Well, 604 C63 I take it a "Thank You" is in order, I think? Yes the wife loves her Cab but I try to shy her away from my E, she only drove it once just before I purchased it, lol. Thank goodness for ESP and traction control.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Mercedes should just pay 100% replacement if their head bolts pop up to 150,000km. This would cost them F all and restore trust in the brand. Plus it's a tax write off.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 285 Likes on 183 Posts
10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by Merc63
Mercedes should just pay 100% replacement if their head bolts pop up to 150,000km. This would cost them F all and restore trust in the brand. Plus it's a tax write off.

im fine with that, Id make a killing and stop having to see these stupid threads. theres been a few things benz just throws a 10yr/unlimited mileage warranty at. The problem this would create with all the parts disturbed.... like my intake didnt leak before this, my cel wasnt on until ya'll did this... even though it was done years prior etc...

p.s. My hre's dont have cracks in them, however ive cracked wheels before from potholes. bad roads or ramming curbs, you know the usual stuff that cracks them. even rota's dont crack themselves or break on there own or from the massive power honda owners seem to think destroys them.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Too bad I'm traveling right now...refuse to post more than a few sentences from my phone. That said I can't *******g wait to let it rip in a few days.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by bhamg
Too bad I'm traveling right now...refuse to post more than a few sentences from my phone. That said I can't *******g wait to let it rip in a few days.
Modern technology. If you're like me you are more afraid of what auto correct might do to your typing than how you might mangle it yourself punching away on a tiny keyboard

Last edited by 604 C63; 09-29-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Critter
Well, 604 C63 I take it a "Thank You" is in order, I think? Yes the wife loves her Cab but I try to shy her away from my E, she only drove it once just before I purchased it, lol. Thank goodness for ESP and traction control.
The other nice thing about the CLK other than a great look and the rag is there just aren't very many of them as opposed to the c63, which here in Vancouver are common like crazy. I see two or 3 every day. I rarely see a CLK and even rarer a 63. I think for the rarest Merc (north america anyways) its a 3 way battle between the clk63, the e63 wagon and the R63. I met a guy the other day who was driving HIS WIFES fully loaded P31 E63 Wagon. He said before that she had the R63 and he was getting 350km on an 80 ltr tank and so he finds the wagon quite economical. Guess I should have had one of those first so my wife wouldnt complain about this one.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:51 AM

Killing the messenger who presents ways the headbolts might fail is good for some members who seem more relaxed now. None of the ideas are mine. Most are elementary Auto shop 1A, not Engineering 101.

The path is open to recoup losses and prop up value of the affected cars through class action, but we must address issues such as (1) Are there 100+ owners of M 156 engined cars who have incurred repair costs? and (2) Is there a likely failure mechanism identified by scientific testing? Seems like knowledge of these two items could be the first step.

It is encouraging to see some response for a change. Driving a car with the M 156 engine should not penalize owners with unreasonable repair costs.

Forum responders seem to include those who are content to lick their wounds quietly and not be disturbed, some who follow MB loyally , right or wrong , and others who flaunt disrespect for money. I hope still others are in the majority and will cooperate to see this thing through. Then the critics can quickly get in line for their reimbursement.

Last edited by motoman; 09-29-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-29-2013, 01:08 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by motoman
Killing the messenger who presents ways the headbolts might fail is good for some members who seem more relaxed now. None of the ideas are mine. Most are elementary Auto shop 1A, not Engineering 101.

The path is open to recoup losses and prop up value of the affected cars through class action, but we must address issues such as (1) Are there 100+ owners of M 156 engined cars who have incurred repair costs? and (2) Is there a likely failure mechanism identified by scientific testing? Seems like knowledge of these two items could be the first step.

It is encouraging to see some response for a change. Driving a car with the M 156 engine should not penalize owners with unreasonable repair costs.

Forum responders seem to include those who are content to lick their wounds quietly and not be disturbed, some who follow MB loyally , right or wrong , and others who flaunt disrespect for money. I hope still others are in the majority and will cooperate to see this thing through. Then the critics can quickly get in line for their reimbursement.
That is some very judgemental hogwash. You 'respect' money?
You choose to be 'disturbed'? By things that may never happen? I, and apparently others, choose not to let things like this 'disturb' us until it happens, if even then, it's better to not fret and deal with it when it happens.

Did you read the Porsche settlement?
It is not proactive, it prorates (based on mileage and how you bought the car: dealer, CPO or other) IF you paid for reimbursement out of pocket.

http://www.imsporschesettlement.com/

7. If my Class Vehicle has not experienced IMS related engine damage, am I included?

Yes. Under the terms of the Settlement, if your Class Vehicle experiences the condition after July 17, 2013, you may be eligible to receive payment for repair of the IMS related engine damage, including the cost of replacing or repairing the engine. However, no Class Member will be entitled to any payment or reimbursement for any IMS related damage occurring to a Class Vehicle more than ten (10) years after the vehicle was placed in service, or after 130,000 total miles on the vehicle, whichever comes first.

In other words, if you own a 10 year old garage queen with 10k miles you're not covered....and people collect/run these cars for a very long time.

It only covers years 2001-2005.
If you own a 2001-2004, the most prevalent failure years you aren't even covered! (10 years from the date of the settlement which is expected to be in Jan 2014, so it looks like only cars that have failed or late 2004's and 2005's that may fail in the next year are covered, depending on in-service date).

Let's say the settlement is made in Jan 2014. And your 2005 (in service Jan 2004) fails in Feb 2014: you get squat.

The lawyers and Porsche are the winners of this settlement. Porsche has very little exposure since they made practice of fixing the failures under warranty or goodwill in most cases.

consider:
-if you didn't buy it from a dealer (new or CPO) you only get 25% regardless of mileage

-CPO's get 100% up the 100k miles

-if bought new you get 100% only up to 50k miles, then it decreases 10% every 10k miles to 40% at 100k miles

-Porsche can deny claims at will and it's up to the settlement lawyers to contest it. Good luck with that since they will already have been paid and will have 0 incentive to expend additonal resources since they won't be reimbursed any additional monies.

I would never be a party to such a class action settlement. I got the best of BMW in court, if my head bolts fail I'll be made whole by my own means.

Are you a lawyer? Are you a mechanical engineer with emphasis in fasteners/materials and engines?
Why would anyone trust an internet person and send them their bolts?

Last edited by Ingenieur; 09-29-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by motoman

Just cant help yourself can you? You are 100% tone deaf.

Yup. We are all either MB fanboys, or wimps who wont stand up for ourselves as we take it in the wallet or just too busy doing the Scrooge McDuck backstroke through our seas of cash. You alone, good sir, stand prepared to fight the noble fight against our oppressors while we are content to cower behind you. You alone have the wisdom and the judgement to discern the width and breadth of this scourge that threatens us all. You alone appreciate the value of a dollar. Thank you oh great one. Thank you for your willingness to protect us and educate us in spite of all our flaws and frailties. Perhaps one day when you have brought some of us back from the brink of financial ruin, or taught us the value of a dollar, or woken us up from our dream of Teutonic benevolence and given us the courage to rise up.......perhaps then we will hoist you on our shoulders and acknowledge you as the hero, the educator, the saviour of the the common man that.....

Or perhaps we have all fallen asleep by then cos you are a boring, sanctimonious, self righteous & judgemental dbag.
Ive got $20 (cos I have neither a ton of cash nor any respect for it) that says you are Prius driving class action lawyer looking to stir up a little business to help pay alimony to three ex-wives who have all divorced you because you induced severe narcolepsy.

Id rather throw my lot behind Saul Goodman.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the good response. Couple things. No, I did not read it until you posted. Seems like part of the problem is the late action against Porsche, thus urgency to start now. Next , few members would pusue alone in court. Finally, what is so sacred about failed headbolts that get tossed into the dumpster? For the last time ... I am not a lawyer, but took the time to briefly read about class action, and have never posed as
an engineer, only a motor sport enthusiast. What is so threatening about information?
Old 09-29-2013, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Holey crap. There is so much Shakespearian fluff here I can't even tell what is happening. I thought we were all enthusiasts here who were mainly just ticked off that a car brand we so devoutly bought into would leave us in the cold regarding a MAJOR flaw on an engine that won engine of the year for 3 years in a row. Common guys. We all know if,IF MB ever said, " common down to the price is right" and changed all these bolts, we would jump out of the dentists chair and be there in line....
Old 09-29-2013, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
I totally agree Zephyr. My problem is with the Mr Condescending and the way he speaks to everyone here.

This is his message:

"nothing happened til I got here but thank god I've arrived to save you from yourselves. All the other threads are useless so just forget them. You are stupid or in denial or gutless or spendthrifts. I will educate you. I am not a lawyer or engineer, nor do I state if I have had the issue myself, but I have the definitive opinion here and you'd be wise to listen. Send your parts and information to a total stranger off the internet cos THAT is a good idea. Spine up and if you measure up I will lead the charge".

I don't know him. I don't know of him. I don't know about him. He has yet to state whether he has a dog in this fight or whether he is just fearful. I do know that his handle says he also drives a Nissan NX2000 and a Pontiac Fiero GT - two vehicles legendary for their quality engineering and record of reliability. Yes, he is clearly a fine judge of horseflesh. And the guys at AMG have a lot to live up to when those are the benchmarks. Really, in comparison, the lack of quality control at MB is scandalous.

And I know that he has started 16 threads - 8 in the last 2 weeks about this issue, one complaining about Michelin Alpines and one whining cos some after market oil filter I have never heard of has the wrong part number?!!

Oh and one thread which read in its entirety:
"Please decipher the numerical suffix that has appeared on my dash as B5"
Like that's the way anyone from Battle Ground Washington and drives a Fiero GT speaks.

The issue is a good one. I just think he's a pompous *** and I am enjoying hammering on my keyboard.

Hold it! He's anonymous. He's fearless. He has a Fiero GT.

He's freaking Batman!!!!!!

Last edited by 604 C63; 09-29-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio

Yes. It is we that are foolish. I see that now.

Last edited by 604 C63; 09-29-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
41, 634 page views of the head bolt sticky suggest you're full of ****.

Id make a killing and stop having to see these stupid threads.
Like the threads you've started...well let's see...that's a grand total of six threads you've started...with a grand total of one reply!

BWAHAHAHAHA. GTFOH.

Last edited by bhamg; 09-30-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 06:51 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
does anyone know the production numbers for the C63
by year and by market (US, europe, GB, etc.)
???
Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
does anyone know the production numbers for the C63
by year and by market (US, europe, GB, etc.)
???
I think they were all made in Germany actually.

Just kidding. Pretty sure I have them somewhere. I'll dig em up.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 E550 Cabrio
In the US

2008 476
2009 2212

Worldwide

2008 8100
2009 Dont have that number yet but Ill find it

Those are the two years affected.

Last edited by 604 C63; 10-01-2013 at 01:11 AM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headbolt warning to AMG from Porsche