Twice now I have changed LEDs and car wont start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Twice now I have changed LEDs and car wont start

I dont know what the H. E. Double Hockey sticks is going on here. Twice now I have worked on change my regular bulbs to LED. Twice I have gotten nothing but a click afterwards. On the second occasion I even started it up twice in the middle. LEDs have lower power consumption so does anyone have any idea what the issue is here?

By way of explanation for those who havent done this: when you install the LEDs there is actually a polarity altho no markings are visible on the bulb. If you turn your lights on and there is no power draw, the SAM cuts power to that line. I didnt know this at first. So I went thru a frustrating thing where you put in an LED and it doesnt work. Try more. They dont work. Go back to traditional bulb. It doesnt work anymore. Fuuuuuuuuuuuudge. Then I learned that what you have to do is cycle thru your ignition, then relock the door. This resets the Sam. Then when you turn your lights on the power is back. Do this over multiple lights and you will have cycled your lights, ignition, and door locks a few times. But not so much that all you should have left in your battery is one click.

Anyone know what is happening? Anyone?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
I did change my eyebrows to LED the other day and didn't experience your issue. I was able to insert the LEDs and make them work. I had to insert one twice in order to fine the proper polarity. But then car didn't have any issue starting.
Are you saying you cannot install LEDs and have to revert the bulbs to get your car starting?
Old 10-07-2013, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
No, I can leave the LEDs in as I have the SAM reset for all of them and they are functioning.
I just jumpstarted my car, and I trust that all will be well again. Im just wondering why going through that process is such a drain on the battery.

These are LED's from Azn Optics that I have had for quite awhile. I say that not to knock Azn's products, but rather to say that these are a quality bulb and arent some cheap knock offs.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
For sure AZN sells good quality products
Glad you were able to start your car afterwards.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by 604 C63
No, I can leave the LEDs in as I have the SAM reset for all of them and they are functioning.
I just jumpstarted my car, and I trust that all will be well again. Im just wondering why going through that process is such a drain on the battery.

These are LED's from Azn Optics that I have had for quite awhile. I say that not to knock Azn's products, but rather to say that these are a quality bulb and arent some cheap knock offs.
I ran though a similar issue before. Battery wasn't 100% in the first place I think and used led bulbs from several sources. All blew in a week or two then battery issues started happening. It had to be jumped 2x. I think led contributed to it but I must've change bulbs several times. Best ones I picked up were from carID...fit was perfect and not loose.....5 months and counting without any issues.

I would check your battery and try the CArID set....no problems.