NO MORE BLOWN MOTORS -Safe and Reliable Tuning-

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 11:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
NO MORE BLOWN MOTORS -Safe and Reliable Tuning-

There have simply been too many blown motors due to unsafe tuning from a few different companies. It needs to stop. I have done ECU analysis of blown motors 7 times just this last summer from customers with other tunes, and that is too many. We need to realize where the power limit is on the car, and take a step back to appreciate what the purpose of Mercedes tuning is for. The AMG platform is wonderful because it can provide us with a daily driver that is smooth enough to carry grandma in the car, but absolutely fast enough to destroy most of the cars on the road with just a few modifications. This should be the way that the tune is done on the car. Safety and longevity in mind above the absurd race for the biggest HP numbers. I strongly believe that the limit of these motors has been pushed time and time again, and people who are just looking to make a fast car faster end up with a mountain of troubles because of it. Years ago, blown motors started showing up and the solution was to always blame something mechanical on the car, when in fact it was due to the tune. These cars are not testing a new motor design, or R&D a new type of product. Most of the horror stories I see, and provide ECU analysis for, have simple modifications, such as a s/c pulley or headers. These customers are left with horrible experiences costing them huge amounts of time and money to fix, and it scars them from modifying cars in the future. At the time of writing this post, Logic Lab Tuning has sold over 100 Mercedes tunes without an engine failure of any kind at all. The reason for this is simple. We do not run an additional 8 degree of timing on top of the factory maps, we do not lean out the fuel mixture to gain every last bit of HP that the car has to give, and most importantly, leave the Mercedes safeguard coding in the ECU in place so that if there is a mechanical failure the ECU can compensate for it.

Attachment 447659

On another note. The MyGenius unit that people have been purchasing is a wonderful unit that we have had excellent success with. If you have a unit from another tuner that you find is not operating, let us know and we can probably fix it. It takes a lot of work from the side of the tuner to have these units properly set up and working correctly.

Attachment 447660

Thanks
Aleks
Old 10-15-2013, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Old 10-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Funny you say lean...When I had my C63 dyno'd the stock file ran insanely lean...like I mean lean as it gets...even the dyno guy was surprised how lean it ran from the factory...and then with a tune it ran to rich for a while until they fixed it...My question is mainly for others...whats the sweet spot for a tune? is it between lean and rich or more on the rich or lean side? I guess lean is more HP? but whats so special about rich?

Sorry if my question seems stupid...it's just something I noticed on my dyno sheets and was kinda curious
Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by avery.whss
Funny you say lean...When I had my C63 dyno'd the stock file ran insanely lean...like I mean lean as it gets...even the dyno guy was surprised how lean it ran from the factory...and then with a tune it ran to rich for a while until they fixed it...My question is mainly for others...whats the sweet spot for a tune? is it between lean and rich or more on the rich or lean side? I guess lean is more HP? but whats so special about rich?

Sorry if my question seems stupid...it's just something I noticed on my dyno sheets and was kinda curious
Lean = more power
Rich = less power but safer

There is a fine line of safe vs. reliable. I'll speak in general:

Safe Air Fuel Ration (AFR) on a N/A motor @ WOT is low 12's. Mid 12's is fine and I've run an engine pushing 12.7 AFR. You DO NOT want to go over 13.0

Part throttle you want around 14.0 or so...

On a supercharged motor @ WOT, mid 11's is safe (11.5) or so.... DO NOT run higher then 12.0

In both cases, if your runing way to lean your asking for detonation and major engine damage / work.

I agree with the OP - you may push another 10hp or so by leaning out the car from safe to unsafe... Is that really worth it?

I'm not sure how many degree's of timing MB runs but from my stroked out & blown HEMI, 14 degree's was the sweet spot.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 10-15-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Lean = more power
Rich = less power but safer

There is a fine line of safe vs. reliable. I'll speak in general:

Safe Air Fuel Ration (AFR) on a N/A motor @ WOT is low 12's. Mid 12's is fine and I've run an engine pushing 12.7 AFR. You DO NOT want to go over 13.0

Part throttle you want around 14.0 or so...

On a supercharged motor @ WOT, mid 11's is safe (11.5) or so.... DO NOT run higher then 12.0

In both cases, if your runing way to lean your asking for detonation and major engine damage / work.

I agree with the OP - you may push another 10hp or so by leaning out the car from safe to unsafe... Is that really worth it?

I'm not sure how many degree's of timing MB runs but from my stroked out & blown HEMI, 14 degree's was the sweet spot.
Very cool info. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding the lean vs. rich setup, I thought I once read here that the stock C63's tend to run rich as part of the "de-tuning program," if you will.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV

That's interesting that you were running lean. As I mentioned above, I thought it was the tendency (by design) for the car to run on the rich side?

Now I'm super .
Old 10-15-2013, 02:22 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by zibby43
Very cool info. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding the lean vs. rich setup, I thought I once read here that the stock C63's tend to run rich as part of the "de-tuning program," if you will.
Yup, they probably do along with retarded timing.

Also where your wideband is set up in the exhaust stream will give you a different reading. I believe at the tail-pipe will give you a bit more rich of a reading (.5 I believe). Pluged in pre-cat right at the headers is the most accurate.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:16 PM
Banned

S550 on order
That's interesting that you were running lean. As I mentioned above, I thought it was the tendency (by design) for the car to run on the rich side?

Now I'm super .
Yeah even the guy at the dyno said that usually it's on the rich side...but no..it was very lean with stock file..around 14-15...and on tune when it ran rich it was around 11.5-12 like the guy says above
Old 10-15-2013, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Yeah even the guy at the dyno said that usually it's on the rich side...but no..it was very lean with stock file..around 14-15...and on tune when it ran rich it was around 11.5-12 like the guy says above
Very interesting. Are you running a tune now? Apologies if I missed that info elsewhere.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Very interesting. Are you running a tune now? Apologies if I missed that info elsewhere.
Sure am...Using eurocharged right now..getting it dyno'd next week on the 22nd..I'll post the #'s and sheets on the velos and Eurocharged so people can compare to get a good idea
Old 10-15-2013, 10:12 PM

C63 AMG
Sure am...Using eurocharged right now..getting it dyno'd next week on the 22nd..I'll post the #'s and sheets on the velos and Eurocharged so people can compare to get a good idea
If the Dyno shop has a wideband, have them log your AFR (tail pipe sniffer).

Be interesting to see what type of AFR the Eurotcharged "canned tune" is.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:10 AM

C63
subscribed
Old 10-16-2013, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
What's stock total timing at wot? What's your timing at wot?

Are guys restricting the ecus knock sensors to retard timing?

How are you able to tune for a quarter of the price of everyone else a still turn a profit?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
which tuners are blowing up motors?
Old 10-16-2013, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
I've never heard of a tune blowing up a motor on a C63.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
subscribed
Old 10-21-2013, 02:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
8 DEGREES OF TIMING!? Dear god dont tell me that actually happened on a stock file....
Old 10-21-2013, 02:36 PM

96 C220, 85 300D, 2012 C63 AMG
Unlike the Subaru world, i have not seen any threads about "blown motors" from tuning here. Or really at all for that matter. Which tunes have blowing motors? You don't even hear about supercharged guys blowing motors on stock motors!
Old 10-21-2013, 02:45 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Such a classless thread.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:23 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by SoFlaC63
Unlike the Subaru world, i have not seen any threads about "blown motors" from tuning here. Or really at all for that matter. Which tunes have blowing motors? You don't even hear about supercharged guys blowing motors on stock motors!
It does seem this is a wild attempt to create "fear" of other tuners, inturn business for the OP.

Be nice if the OP could come back and answer the questions posed in this thread.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mdgrwl
It does seem this is a wild attempt to create "fear" of other tuners, inturn business for the OP.

Be nice if the OP could come back and answer the questions posed in this thread.
And also explain why all DimSport MyGenius handhelds appear to be sitting on a residential hardwood floor, where one could make the argument may be inches from a dining room table of sort as a I see a leg from what would appear to be a dining room chair...
I hope this isn't a fly-by-night company being run from someone's home with no ability to back the product up, as tuning is pretty serious.
A lot of companies start out in a home somewhere and turn into something great, but I would personally prefer to buy something from a company that has a history and the ability to stand behind the product when it comes to tuning... may just be me.
Not implying, just asking... OP?

Last edited by Autosport7; 10-21-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:38 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Autosport7
And also explain why all DimSport MyGenius handhelds appear to be sitting on a residential hardwood floor, where one could make the argument may be inches from a dining room table of sort as a I see a leg from what would appear to be a dining room chair...
I hope this isn't a fly-by-night company being run from someone's home with no ability to back the product up, as tuning is pretty serious.
Not implying, just asking... OP?
Hey, they arranged them in an orderly manner and even took one out of the box in the very front - what more do you want?
Old 10-21-2013, 04:06 PM

ML 500, Audi A4 3.0
don't forget to post your dyno results of the Eurocharged (V4, I'd assume). I just did the V4 myself. Curious how timing looks.

Does it make sense to take the V4 tuned car to a dyno and "see" where things are, or is getting the "canned-tune" already been through the QA from EuroCharged - and hence, I don't need to get it "custom tuned"...

Quad
Old 10-21-2013, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by quadexhaust
don't forget to post your dyno results of the Eurocharged (V4, I'd assume). I just did the V4 myself. Curious how timing looks.

Does it make sense to take the V4 tuned car to a dyno and "see" where things are, or is getting the "canned-tune" already been through the QA from EuroCharged - and hence, I don't need to get it "custom tuned"...

Quad
Did you mean to post this here?
I probably will not have mine dyno'd. Well I should just say it isn't on my radar at the moment.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
lmfao this is so fail

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: NO MORE BLOWN MOTORS -Safe and Reliable Tuning-