Selling OE P30 LSD soon...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Selling OE P30 LSD soon...

In a few weeks it'll be out of the car, about 34k miles on it. Asking $500.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Location? Shipping might be pricey on that. Glws
Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
What are you getting instead?
Old 10-20-2013, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Location? Shipping might be pricey on that. Glws
92603 SoCal
Old 10-20-2013, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by abcut973
What are you getting instead?
WavTrac.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by bhamg
WavTrac.
I was tempted by a wavtrac as well. What's the diff with the OEM? Weight?
Old 10-21-2013, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by abcut973
I was tempted by a wavtrac as well. What's the diff with the OEM? Weight?
A cut and paste:

Wavetrac limited slip differentials give you quicker acceleration and faster cornering by driving both drive wheels instead of just one. And, they offer improved no-load performance when compared to other helical gear differentials on the market.

What Makes A Wavetrac Different?

Zero axle-load is a condition that occurs during normal driving, but creates the most noticeable problems when driving in extreme conditions. Zero or near-zero axle-load is the condition that exists when there is ‘no-load’ applied through the drivetrain, when one drive wheel is nearly or completely lifted (often in aggressive cornering). It also occurs during the transition from engine driving a vehicle to engine braking and back, even with both drive wheels firmly on the ground.

Here’s how that loss of drive hurts you:

If you lift a wheel, all gear diffs except Wavetrac®, will NOT power the other wheel.
During the transition from accel to decel, all gear diffs except Wavetrac®, do nothing.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
the factory lsd is clutch type and pretty aggressive. unless you road course the crap out of this, not sure you're going to feel a difference. most people swap helical's out for clutch type. so once you do it please post your review/experience. the quaife is definately less aggressive than the factory lsd.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
the factory lsd is clutch type and pretty aggressive. unless you road course the crap out of this, not sure you're going to feel a difference. most people swap helical's out for clutch type. so once you do it please post your review/experience. the quaife is definately less aggressive than the factory lsd.
I've heard arguments both ways about which type is "more aggressive" and the associated tradeoffs but my choice of the gear type in general and the WavTrac in particular is based in no small part on another more major drivetrain modification that'll be done in 2-3 weeks. So 2-3 weeks of driving after that I'll know. There are many considerations to picking an LSD that are pretty specific to one's particular applications and needs, not to mention desired outcome.

Last edited by bhamg; 10-21-2013 at 04:05 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
subscribed, might be interested with pics of unit
Old 10-21-2013, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
I have no experience in the wavtrac, so i cant vouch anything for it. So im definately interested in your review coming from the stock p30 lsd. every differential is going to very on how aggressive it is based on the engineering/design behind it. most people go from no lsd to any lsd and obviously praise it. Keep us in the loop. That's a steal for one of these lsd diffs. They are pretty stout and i've yet to see one fail.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 AMG C63
I went from no diff to a wavetrac and it was night and day.. It feels like a brand new car
Old 10-21-2013, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
I have no experience in the wavtrac, so i cant vouch anything for it. So im definately interested in your review coming from the stock p30 lsd. every differential is going to very on how aggressive it is based on the engineering/design behind it. most people go from no lsd to any lsd and obviously praise it. Keep us in the loop. That's a steal for one of these lsd diffs. They are pretty stout and i've yet to see one fail.
Will do, but like I said, the WavTrac is going in after (or immediately before) a major drivetrain change so it won't be obvious on its own as to the changes in my perception simply because both are happening on top of each other. I HAVE given some thought to this change, though, so I think I'm on the right track.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
You can set up a clutch-type LSD to achieve different lockup rates on acceleration and deceleration by varyinfg the ramp angles, so in that respect it is customizable to your liking. Other than zero maintenance, a clutch-type LSD is going to be superior to a gear diff under pretty much all circumstances.

When you are talking about "aggressive" you presumably mean the amount of lockup that the diff will provide, but as I said a clutch-type LSD with preload can be effectively customized for different lockup rates at both acceleration and decelaration. When I was regularly tracking my cars I used to repack the diffs to my liking (had an OS Giken on the M3 and the OEM ZF unit on the 928), which you can't do with a gear differential.

Not sure what the OEM LSD on the C63 is, but I think I read somewhwere that AMG uses Drexler units for which ther is quite a bit of info elsewhere. The Wavetrac may be an improvement over a Quaiffe or some Torsen-type gear diffs, but IMHO you still need a proper clutch-type unit if you're already at the stage where you need to start changing you diff settings.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 GTR/2010 C63
Originally Posted by bhamg
In a few weeks it'll be out of the car, about 34k miles on it. Asking $500.
Coming from an 09, would this be a basic install?
Old 10-22-2013, 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
You can set up a clutch-type LSD to achieve different lockup rates on acceleration and deceleration by varyinfg the ramp angles, so in that respect it is customizable to your liking. Other than zero maintenance, a clutch-type LSD is going to be superior to a gear diff under pretty much all circumstances.

When you are talking about "aggressive" you presumably mean the amount of lockup that the diff will provide, but as I said a clutch-type LSD with preload can be effectively customized for different lockup rates at both acceleration and decelaration. When I was regularly tracking my cars I used to repack the diffs to my liking (had an OS Giken on the M3 and the OEM ZF unit on the 928), which you can't do with a gear differential.

Not sure what the OEM LSD on the C63 is, but I think I read somewhwere that AMG uses Drexler units for which ther is quite a bit of info elsewhere. The Wavetrac may be an improvement over a Quaiffe or some Torsen-type gear diffs, but IMHO you still need a proper clutch-type unit if you're already at the stage where you need to start changing you diff settings.
I never was talking about "aggressive." Someone else brought it up in the same context as you, as an all-out performance issue. While performance is important to all of us or I certainly wouldn't be spending $$$$$ on mods, my choice of the gear-type is based on other important (to me) considerations, which at this juncture, you know nothing about. Whereas I appreciate, even encourage this kind of discussion, you have to accept for the moment that I know where the **** I'm going with my project.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by sfury63
Coming from an 09, would this be a basic install?
I don't see why not but that's far from the definitive word on this.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

10 C six trizzle
basic meaning what? Its not a simple bolt in, bolt on affair. you'll have to transfer the ring gear over and set the pinion depth/clearances. Yes sorry i brought in aggressive as thats what most are looking for. This is just the differential itself not the whole pumpkin your selling right?
Old 10-22-2013, 11:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
basic meaning what? Its not a simple bolt in, bolt on affair. you'll have to transfer the ring gear over and set the pinion depth/clearances. Yes sorry i brought in aggressive as thats what most are looking for. This is just the differential itself not the whole pumpkin your selling right?
Yup, just the diff.