Adaptive Highbeam Assist for US C63s.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:01 PM

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
MY19AMG GT-C; MY14C63-507 - former Audi B6 S4
Adaptive Highbeam Assist for US C63s.

Hi all,

In playing around with the settings, I noticed that the Adaptive Highbeam Assist is enabled. Saw the icon with the "A" last night while playing around with highbeams while parked. What is interesting is that the setting is not available when I go to settings: Settings-Lights-etc. The only items available are Daytime Running Lamps, Surround Lighting and Delayed Lighting. For the US cars, do we get the option to enable/disable this functionality? I thought I saw somewhere that the DOT decided not allow this feature for any cars due to the "pointing" aspect of the assist...? Let me know.

Thanks in advance!

-C
Old 10-21-2013, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
If your headlights are on, with the knob in the "Auto" position, you push the left lower stalk forward as if to put your headlights in High Beam, but you will get a symbol that lights up on your dash that shows the Adaptive Highbeam is on and will only come on in absolutely dark areas. Personally, I think its great and it has never blinded anyone. So far its worked exactly how it should work IMO.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:38 AM

Yes, this is a great feature. I got a chance to see it in action last night on some very dark back roads. These roads are by an old Revolutionary War site so they seem to be old trails....the feature surely did light up the night!

The question I have is why the feature is not in settings-lights (at least in this car). According to the manual, it ought to be there (page 216):

Thoughts?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Hmm,

I would only assume it is NOT in our menu for one of two possible reasons.

1) That part of the manual is NOT for US spec cars and happens to be in there.

2) Since you turn it on/off by pushing the stalk forward or not, I don't see a viable reason to go through a menu to turn it on or off.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
Do all C63s have this feature, or is it limited to certain years/certain option packages?

For other newbies like me, here's a description:

The Adaptive Highbeam Assist of Mercedes-Benz is based on a camera on the inside of the front windscreen which monitors the traffic situation in front of the car. An intelligent image processing algorithm enables the camera to identify other vehicles and to calculate their distances. The range of the variably adjustable headlamps is set accordingly and adjusted continuously according to the distance of the vehicle ahead or oncoming traffic.

The system is extremely fast, relaying fresh data to the headlamps every 40 milliseconds. On the basis of this information, the headlamps are switched to low beam and the range of the adjustable bi-xenon headlamps in dipped-beam mode is set within a maximum reach of 300 metres and continuously adapted to the prevailing traffic situation. When the system detects that the road ahead is clear, high beam is activated automatically. Adaptive Highbeam Assist in Mercedes-Benz cars is available at speeds of 55 km/h and over. Once it has been switched on it operates fully automatically.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:51 PM

Yep, I'm thinking it has something to do with the feature in the US. Just like the folding mirror feature, per the downloaded manual from mbusa.com, only being available for Canada.

It's all good though...I would never want to turn it off either way. It is a very nice feature! It is just curious why it is not there or the manual doesn't state: Available on [fill-in-blank-Country] Models only.

Oh well...will take more back roads tonight to see it work!

-C
Old 06-06-2014, 06:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
I love this feature, as a relatively new MY 2014 C63 owner. Wouldn't have picked it, but it was on the car I picked. I love it on back roads, but leave it on everywhere. It's actually constantly variable, so doesn't flash high or low, but instead runs a full gradation depending on the situation. Pretty cool, IMO.