C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Carbonio installed now small issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 05:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Carbonio installed now small issue

As the title states, I just installed my Carbonio intake on my CBS and went for a short drive. I followed the instructions and let the car sit for 10 min prior to driving. Everything was great until I went WOT, then right as the car goes to change gears it hesitates and feels like it stunts acceleration. I tried it from all speeds with the same outcome. Do you guys think it needs some time to adjust, or is the MAF sensor an issue? I did have trouble fitting the MAF sensor and it required me to file the intake down a bit., but it now looks okay.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 DUCATI 1198S
I would check to make sure the filters are seated properly. If everything checks out ok there, then take it to a shop that can run diagnostics. On my 09 C63, I had a bad MAF sensor. The only way I found out was at a dyno day at ACG. The car would lose power at the top of the RPM band. At first we thought the tune was bad, so we sent the file back to kleeman, and they said everything was fine. The car was throwing a code having to do with a "lean bank". We replaced the MAF sensors and the car pulled like a freight train all the way to redline.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by NellyRod
I would check to make sure the filters are seated properly. If everything checks out ok there, then take it to a shop that can run diagnostics. On my 09 C63, I had a bad MAF sensor. The only way I found out was at a dyno day at ACG. The car would lose power at the top of the RPM band. At first we thought the tune was bad, so we sent the file back to kleeman, and they said everything was fine. The car was throwing a code having to do with a "lean bank". We replaced the MAF sensors and the car pulled like a freight train all the way to redline.
Usually a bad MAF throws a P0101 or P0171-0174 code. Did you have a CEL?
Old 10-21-2013, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
The amount of air these cars actually take in is kinda crazy..make sure everything is sealed down tight...I have noticed sometimes when going up a smallish incline and you goto WOT it...it will choke..IDK why...done this stock and with a tune...No idea why...maybe someone can chime in? It's not all the time or all hills..only certian hills and certian times of the day too...These cars are very picky it seems like

I doubt you're MAF is gone..Could be though..never know..but 2 years old..should be ok
Old 10-21-2013, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by abcut973
Usually a bad MAF throws a P0101 or P0171-0174 code. Did you have a CEL?
No, there was no CEL. I'm not sure if the K2 tune was hiding the CEL, but when ACG connected the diagnostic tool, it did throw a code. The P0101 code does look familiar, but this was a while ago. My car was a little over 2 years old at the time, so It was covered under warranty.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Thanks guys for the input

I don't think the Carbonio intake seals as well as the stock one. I will play with it again tomorrow. For the price I wish it was just as easy as OEM. I actually had to shave down the slot for the MAF sensor to get it in there.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
seems to be small little problems with these air boxes

hopefully mine is straight forward
Old 10-21-2013, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Sounds like maybe the tires are breaking lose and traction control is kicking in.
Lol
Serious note, sounds like it isn't sealed tight.
GL And happy modding!
Old 10-21-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by ced357
Thanks guys for the input

I don't think the Carbonio intake seals as well as the stock one. I will play with it again tomorrow. For the price I wish it was just as easy as OEM. I actually had to shave down the slot for the MAF sensor to get it in there.
Carbonio seems like a stand up company. If you think you have a defective product, reach out to them. I'm sure they will be happy to exchange it for another one.

Another possibility I just thought of is the air filter itself. Carbonio intakes ship with KNN filters. I had KNNs before, and they are known for being very oily compared to other oiled air filters. I recall other members saying they had issues with the KNN filters and the MAF sensors because of this. I'm running the AFE pro dry filters with the Carbonio intake on my BS. No issues at all. You could also try the AFE oiled filters. Oiled filters will allow more air flow. I haven't read of any problems with the AFE oiled filters and our engines. Hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CLK55, C63BS
I had a problem fitting the maf sensor on one side also .Used a sil icone seal to correct the leak no problems However the front piece with the star doesnt fit at all .Youwould think for 2000 dollars it would be perfect!!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by Spine55
I had a problem fitting the maf sensor on one side also .Used a sil icone seal to correct the leak no problems However the front piece with the star doesnt fit at all .Youwould think for 2000 dollars it would be perfect!!!!
My front piece also doesn't fit properly. The left side always pops up on its own because one of the pieces under the cover that holds the clip isn't long enough. I bought mine used from another member, although he never installed it on his car. It was in mint condition and clearly had no damages, so I'm sure it came that way. I never bothered trying to get it exchanged since I wasn't the original owner. I figured they wouldn't honor a fitment issue because of that.
Old 10-22-2013, 03:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
SL55, CLK55, C63BS
I really think its a design flaw because thats my exact problem .Clip and maf sensor always the same problem Maybe carbonio could come up with some solutions and help us out .Every coffee and cars here in houston put the hood up always have to explain!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 05:08 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Hopefully mine comes in this week and I can install.

Here's the thread I was thinking of...not sure completely if this will help but maybe?

https://mbworld.org/forums/5814924-post41.html

Last edited by avery.whss; 10-22-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:23 PM

I rechecked everything again today and read through the instructions to make sure I did it all correctly and I'm still having the "hiccup" every time it changes gears at WOT.

I hooked up my V-Box to see if the performance data is the same (if I'm loosing power) and unfortunately, there was a great deal of construction on my "racetrack" by my house, so I could only do a couple of 0-60 runs. They were right on target with my pre-intake times. Seems like its not hurting my performance all that much, if any. I might bring it to my local shop and see if there are codes being thrown, or if they could figure it out.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:24 PM

Oh, and I'm using AFE dry filters not the K&N it came with, as Nelly pointed out.
Old 10-22-2013, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
2000 dollars, wow, you fellas are ballin.
2000 dollars and no performance increase!! @ced 357
must be embarrassing during show and tell @ spine 55
Old 10-22-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SLK 55, CLS 550, C63
I got mine installed too...
I dont have CEL lights, but can you define hiccup ?

The car seem drive normal and the throttle seem response faster and breath smoother....

I sometime get hiccup not going up hill but when i floor too hard and too quick , its like giving gas too much and the car jerk and response fast.

can you define hiccup ? . I wonder if leaking any air will throw off CEL light ? I have Bluetooth ODBI and can hook up to android phone on the torque app to see the codes, but i dont have any CEL on the car at all. It this normal ?

The hole plug the MAF sensor, that where it faulty, the square is not square and not perfect aline so the MAF will never sit properly , you have to try push real hard so the rubber seal compress all the leak and then lock it then screw it hard to hold it at that position. I feel like it has to be air leak

Originally Posted by ced357
I rechecked everything again today and read through the instructions to make sure I did it all correctly and I'm still having the "hiccup" every time it changes gears at WOT.

I hooked up my V-Box to see if the performance data is the same (if I'm loosing power) and unfortunately, there was a great deal of construction on my "racetrack" by my house, so I could only do a couple of 0-60 runs. They were right on target with my pre-intake times. Seems like its not hurting my performance all that much, if any. I might bring it to my local shop and see if there are codes being thrown, or if they could figure it out.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
You need to clear the cold fuel map adaptation.
The ecu is reading more air so it throws a fit. Had the same issue when I install filters.
Touch base with me I can maybe get you the ecu cleared
Old 10-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by mrl0n3ly714
I got mine installed too...
I dont have CEL lights, but can you define hiccup ?

The car seem drive normal and the throttle seem response faster and breath smoother....

I sometime get hiccup not going up hill but when i floor too hard and too quick , its like giving gas too much and the car jerk and response fast.

can you define hiccup ? . I wonder if leaking any air will throw off CEL light ? I have Bluetooth ODBI and can hook up to android phone on the torque app to see the codes, but i dont have any CEL on the car at all. It this normal ?

The hole plug the MAF sensor, that where it faulty, the square is not square and not perfect aline so the MAF will never sit properly , you have to try push real hard so the rubber seal compress all the leak and then lock it then screw it hard to hold it at that position. I feel like it has to be air leak

You get the jerking too eh? Exactly the same thing here...it jerks hard if I floor it up a hill...I guess it's normal
Old 10-22-2013, 08:37 PM

Thanks Mike, I will give you a ring.

mrl0n3ly714: When I floor it in any mode S,S+,C etc. it pulls hard until it needs to shift into the next gear and then it hesitates and feels like it looses power for a fraction of a second.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
I would be interested to know what does clearing the ECU mean?
Old 10-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mbworld
Hello everyone

We have recently been pointed to this thread by another board member who was kind enough to let us know about this issue being discussed. Having reviewed the information here, tracked down and tested fit on an AMG63, and checked every piece of inventory we have (boy that was a busy morning) we would like to make the following comments and observations:

1. There appears to be a misinterpretation of how to best install the MAF sensors. As a result we will be modifying our installation instructions to be MUCH more specific and graphic as to how to best install the MAF sensors. This will include a detailed guide to using the included closed cell foam MAF seals in lieu of the OEM rubber ones.

2. Issues where the front cover pops up can almost always be traced back to engine cover clips that have not been properly transferred to the carbon lid. Often times they are deformed on removal and we will modify the instructions to reflect how to best handle the transfer. I know people are probably asking why we do not include these clips and the answer is that we cannot find them anywhere. We have looked and looked with no solution which leaves us to offering the option of re-using the OEM clips.

3. Once installed the intake should not offer any issues when driving. Hesitation and flat spots should not occur and can be normally traced back to damaged, faulty, or poorly installed MAF sensors, or stored codes in the computer that cause the fault.

Modified instructions will be uploaded to our website by end of day Friday and we urge any customers having problems to contact us directly. We are here and available to help and will support the product post purchase.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the post. I do believe my issue is with the MAF sensor and or codes, I will have my shop look into it for me. I will also look out for your revised instructions. I will contact you guys directly if I am still running into problems.

Originally Posted by Carbonio
Hello everyone

We have recently been pointed to this thread by another board member who was kind enough to let us know about this issue being discussed. Having reviewed the information here, tracked down and tested fit on an AMG63, and checked every piece of inventory we have (boy that was a busy morning) we would like to make the following comments and observations:

1. There appears to be a misinterpretation of how to best install the MAF sensors. As a result we will be modifying our installation instructions to be MUCH more specific and graphic as to how to best install the MAF sensors. This will include a detailed guide to using the included closed cell foam MAF seals in lieu of the OEM rubber ones.

2. Issues where the front cover pops up can almost always be traced back to engine cover clips that have not been properly transferred to the carbon lid. Often times they are deformed on removal and we will modify the instructions to reflect how to best handle the transfer. I know people are probably asking why we do not include these clips and the answer is that we cannot find them anywhere. We have looked and looked with no solution which leaves us to offering the option of re-using the OEM clips.

3. Once installed the intake should not offer any issues when driving. Hesitation and flat spots should not occur and can be normally traced back to damaged, faulty, or poorly installed MAF sensors, or stored codes in the computer that cause the fault.

Modified instructions will be uploaded to our website by end of day Friday and we urge any customers having problems to contact us directly. We are here and available to help and will support the product post purchase.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Carbonio
Hello everyone

So basically what I gather from your responses is that not one of the issues that buyers are experiencing are the fault of said overpriced intake? I don't buy it. Intakes are one of the easiest installed items there is, along with re-installing MAF's.
Then you go on to say you can not find the oem clips anywhere therefore the poor sap who bought your overpriced intake is at the mercy of your poorly scripted directions upon removal of the existing clips...? How about this, this is just a thought, you manufactured an entire intake, can you not take some of that profit back out of your pocket and manufacture the damn clips for these guys who are putting their hard-earned cash on the table for your product!? At the end if the day you take an oem clip send it to them and have tem reverse engineer the thing and... Wallah new clips for all!
Instead of placing blame on all of the installers how about make a product that better fits the specified vehicle to where installation isn't so elusive that it takes additional directions to get the job done.

Sorry to put you on blast, but I have seen far cheaper intakes installed with zero issues and this is disheartening to say the least.

Last edited by Autosport7; 10-23-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:08 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Autosport7
So basically what I gather from your responses is that not one of the issues that buyers are experiencing are the fault of said overpriced intake? I don't buy it. Intakes are one of the easiest installed items there is, along with re-installing MAF's.
Then you go on to say you can not find the oem clips anywhere therefore the poor sap who bought your overpriced intake is at the mercy of your poorly scripted directions upon removal of the existing clips...? How about this, this is just a thought, you manufactured an entire intake, can you not take some of that profit back out of your pocket and manufacture the damn clips for these guys who are putting their hard-earned cash on the table for your product!? At the end if the day you take an oem clip send it to them and have tem reverse engineer the thing and... Wallah new clips for all!
Instead of placing blame on all of the installers how about make a product that better fits the specified vehicle to where installation isn't so elusive that it takes additional directions to get the job done.

Sorry to put you on blast, but I have seen far cheaper intakes installed with zero issues and this is disheartening to say the least.
I agree with you 100%!!!!
I am very disappointed with this intake. The MAF sensors do not fit, you have to cut some parts of the sensors - see my post at Carbonio AMG63 Promo: 4 MBWorld Members only ( I know it won't interfere but this should have a perfect fit!!!); the screw to hold the sensors in place are too tiny and unable to secure them properly ( my passenger side sensor is a little bit loose and it is impossible to make it better); the engine cover does not stay in place ( Carbonio says you have to remove the OEM clips but it is IMPOSSIBLE to do it without harming them), the air boxes are almost the same size as the OEM and they get hotter!!! ( I do not know how they got 18-20 hp increase) .One day after the installation, ALL the rubber-sided washers melted!!!! ALL OF THEM!!! And I have not overtightened them.
As you said, air intakes are one of the easiest modes to install. I had several other vehicles that I installed cheaper intakes that fit better and easier than this one.
Now I can not go back to the OEM intake because:
1.It is impossible to remove one of the sensor because the cheap, low quality, tiny screw does not come off ( and does not hold the sensor in place)
2.I have removed the clips of the OEM engine cover and, of course, they are broke now.

I strongly advise you all to stay away of this intake.
Attached Thumbnails Carbonio installed now small issue-foto-3.jpg   Carbonio installed now small issue-foto-4.jpg  

Last edited by carlostossuniam; 10-23-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Forgot the pictures

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbonio installed now small issue