C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

My C63 got Rennteched

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 Coupe
My C63 got Rennteched Dyno numbers included

A little backround, I decided I wanted to do an ECU tune on my '13 C63 Coupe. After reading all the good things about OEtuning and Eurocharged I decided to go with Eurocharged. Got the programmer, sent the file and got my V4 tune file back. Flashed and thought it was good. Drove around and it felt a little faster but wasn't sure. Shouldn't 75hp feel a little different???? So I couldn't take it anymore and scheduled a Dyno run. Flashed back to stock, put it on Dyno and got my base. Flashed to the V4 and was excited to see the results.......No Change. Tried again, no change from stock. Hmmmm. Called Eurocharged and they were very friendly. Sent new file , reflashed programmer, reflashed car multiple times. Nothing changed except speed limit removal which we tested as a trouble shooting check. After hours on the phone and Dyno, they said they couldn't do anything else over the phone which I completely understand. Either it works or it doesn't. They refunded my money.

Living about 2 1/2 hours from Renntech I decided to go straight to the authority on the matter. I scheduled a before and after dyno with the ECU tune. When I talked to them I discussed some of the other options that I was considering and they explained in detail why theirs is a completely different animal. I'm not here to get into a he said she said with the tuners, just being the messenger.

Below you will find my results. I'm impressed considering Renntech tunes are supposed to be a decent amount less then the others. Rear wheel gain was 60hp and 23lbs/tq. It was sunny south Florida 87 degrees. They estimated crankshaft horsepower to be around 530-535.

Pulls like an OX!!!!

On another note, on the way down at 80 mph cruise control got 20mpg. On the way back, same route 22mpg with tune.

Renntech has 10% off now until the the end of year which I stumbled into by accident.

Last edited by Thor2j; 12-04-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Nice! I'm not surpirsed with Renntech's products. Their founder use to work for MB so though their products are more expensive than most, they are tried and true. Congrats on the new found power!
Old 12-04-2013, 06:21 PM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by tfthach13
Nice! I'm not surpirsed with Renntech's products. Their founder use to work for MB so though their products are more expensive than most, they are tried and true. Congrats on the new found power!
Feyhl actually used to work at AMG before they were part of Mercedes. He was one of the reasons the AMG Hammer came about.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Interesting! Got mine built in when i bought the car used. I love it everyday but i never had a chance to dyno it. Will probably do it whenever i decide to install headers.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:49 PM

'09 C63
Originally Posted by Thor2j
Feyhl actually used to work at AMG before they were part of Mercedes. He was one of the reasons the AMG Hammer came about.
Yes! I meant to say AMG. Thanks for the correction!
Old 12-05-2013, 04:59 AM

SL63 AMG
A little backround, I decided I wanted to do an ECU tune on my '13 C63 Coupe. After reading all the good things about OEtuning and Eurocharged I decided to go with Eurocharged. Got the programmer, sent the file and got my V4 tune file back. Flashed and thought it was good. Drove around and it felt a little faster but wasn't sure. Shouldn't 75hp feel a little different???? So I couldn't take it anymore and scheduled a Dyno run. Flashed back to stock, put it on Dyno and got my base. Flashed to the V4 and was excited to see the results.......No Change. Tried again, no change from stock. Hmmmm. Called Eurocharged and they were very friendly. Sent new file , reflashed programmer, reflashed car multiple times. Nothing changed except speed limit removal which we tested as a trouble shooting check. After hours on the phone and Dyno, they said they couldn't do anything else over the phone which I completely understand. Either it works or it doesn't. They refunded my money.

Living about 2 1/2 hours from Renntech I decided to go straight to the authority on the matter. I scheduled a before and after dyno with the ECU tune. When I talked to them I discussed some of the other options that I was considering and they explained in detail why theirs is a completely different animal. I'm not here to get into a he said she said with the tuners, just being the messenger.

Below you will find my results. I'm impressed considering Renntech tunes are supposed to be a decent amount less then the others. Rear wheel gain was 60hp and 23lbs/tq. It was sunny south Florida 87 degrees. They estimated crankshaft horsepower to be around 530-535.

Pulls like an OX!!!!

On another note, on the way down at 80 mph cruise control got 20mpg. On the way back, same route 22mpg with tune.

Renntech has 10% off now until the the end of year which I stumbled into by accident.

well, glad your happy.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG P30 + OE Tuning
Numbers are good! Congrats
Old 12-05-2013, 08:38 AM

C63 AMG
...and they explained in detail why theirs is a completely different animal. I'm not here to get into a he said she said with the tuners, just being the messenger.
You have to pull the ECU and have it put on the bench with Renntech, correct? Same with Wesitec...

If so a bench tune will always be superior to a handheld. More tables can be changed.

Last edited by mdgrwl; 12-05-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:57 AM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by mdgrwl
You have to pull the ECU and have it put on the bench with Renntech, correct? Same with Wesistec...

If so a bench tune will always be superior to a handheld. More tables can be changed.
Yes, they pulled the ecu out and tuned it for my car specifically.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:30 AM

'09 C63
You have to pull the ECU and have it put on the bench with Renntech, correct? Same with Wesitec...

Ah...this is interesting. Never considered the difference between handheld and actually pulling the ECU. Almost makes me want to get rid of my handheld tune and try out Renntech/Weistec.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
thats so wild Eurocharged tune didn't work??? I've tested it too..stock to turned file on a dyno and theres for sure a difference of around 60-70HP (Velos is +90-100hp)...are you sure you uploaded all the files and such correctly? not saying you aren't capable..but being a computer tech for 10+ yrs and owning a tech company...even the hand held for me was a little confusing and I screwed it up twice...mainly in the upload process to the dimsport hand held..for some reason mine wasn't updating correctly and some other stuff..but i got it working in the end after a few hours

Last edited by avery.whss; 12-05-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:35 PM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by avery.whss
thats so wild Eurocharged tune didn't work??? I've tested it too..stock to turned file on a dyno and theres for sure a difference of around 60-70HP (Velos is +90-100hp)...are you sure you uploaded all the files and such correctly? not saying you aren't capable..but being a computer tech for 10+ yrs and owning a tech company...even the hand held for me was a little confusing and I screwed it up twice...mainly in the upload process to the dimsport hand held..for some reason mine wasn't updating correctly and some other stuff..but i got it working in the end after a few hours
Yes, did it multiple times with myself and euro tech on phone. Like I said, it was uploaded because the speed limit was removed.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:45 PM

2008 C63
I have the Eurocharged V4 tune, is the rev limiter supposed to be removed that stops engine rpm from going above 4000 while in N or P?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:29 PM

SL63 AMG

Not Necessarily, but with the OP's condition, I guess so
Old 12-05-2013, 06:58 PM

C63 Coupe
Renntech explained to me that there were something like 15 more parameters that need to be adjusted that are unable to be adjusted remotely to do a tune correctly.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Congrats op.
Side note - I have Eurocharged and noticed a world!!! of difference before and after.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
it has been noted on this forum that some times a tune can not be uploaded to some computers pretty weird but what can you do

congrates op on the new found power
Old 12-05-2013, 08:56 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
I am a software engineer, and aerospace engineer. I also have a background in database management. The RennTech map is obviously different than the Eurocharged. Removing the ECU does not allow any special advantages over a hand held with the exception If the handheld has a bad memory and doesn't or cannot retain the file integrity and or loss of data during the ECU upload, only then there could be the potential problem. Removing the ECu probably allowed the ECU to be debugged after the load which doesn't appear the handheld has this subroutine or is capable to to this. But then again, the hand held only has a progress bar and does not display all the files being transferred, but then to most of us it would mean jibberish. My guess is a subroutine on the handheldnlooks for compatibilty first (referential tables and labels) and then uploads the data. Thats all, because the file size is only 7kb and takes about 7 minutes to load... so my guess its running through the ECU of around 50-100mb of data, inserting its specific changes in the ECU. Would be interesting to know...

The problem could be in the overwriting process when you went back to the stock tune where errant bits or labels are left over from the V4 tune. Removing the ECu afforded RennTech to wipe it clean. Eurocharged probably could have wiped it also but that wasn't the situation.

Since many Eurocharged tunes are out there, my guess is the handheld you had had some problems and or the update on your handheld is not good...wasn't tested. I see it from time to time with advanced avionics . Software compatibility and regression testing cannot be overemphasized.. It would be interesting to know what update (blockpoint) you had on the dimsport at that time. Perhaps that update is no good or again that particular hand held had an issue.

I had my E350 ECU removed and shipped to Jerry at Eurocharged and got it back and noticed significant improvement. Jerry said it took time to debug the ECU after the upload. I'm concerned as I have the dimsport unit and a V4 tune and was going to upload the stock tune just to try it. So if there is an issue with dimsport unit or update, someone needs to be aware of this at Eurocharged.

Last edited by sinape62; 12-05-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 PM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by sinape62
I am a software engineer, and aerospace engineer. I also have a background in database management. The RennTech map is obviously different than the Eurocharged. Removing the ECU does not allow any special advantages over a hand held with the exception If the handheld has a bad memory and doesn't or cannot retain the file integrity and or loss of data during the ECU upload, only then there could be the potential problem. Removing the ECu probably allowed the ECU to be debugged after the load which doesn't appear the handheld has this subroutine or is capable to to this. But then again, the hand held only has a progress bar and does not display all the files being transferred, but then to most of us it would mean jibberish. My guess is a subroutine on the handheldnlooks for compatibilty first (referential tables and labels) and then uploads the data. Thats all, because the file size is only 7kb and takes about 7 minutes to load... so my guess its running through the ECU of around 50-100mb of data, inserting its specific changes in the ECU. Would be interesting to know...

The problem could be in the overwriting process when you went back to the stock tune where errant bits or labels are left over from the V4 tune. Removing the ECu afforded RennTech to wipe it clean. Eurocharged probably could have wiped it also but that wasn't the situation.

Since many Eurocharged tunes are out there, my guess is the handheld you had had some problems and or the update on your handheld is not good...wasn't tested. I see it from time to time with advanced avionics . Software compatibility and regression testing cannot be overemphasized.. It would be interesting to know what update (blockpoint) you had on the dimsport at that time. Perhaps that update is no good or again that particular hand held had an issue.

I had my E350 ECU removed and shipped to Jerry at Eurocharged and got it back and noticed significant improvement. Jerry said it took time to debug the ECU after the upload. I'm concerned as I have the dimsport unit and a V4 tune and was going to upload the stock tune just to try it. So if there is an issue with dimsport unit or update, someone needs to be aware of this at Eurocharged.
Like I said I'm not getting into a tuner war. I'm just going by what the renntech engineers explained to me what the difference is. They said there are many things you CANT do with a programmer that you can do by removing the ecu and opening it.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:32 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Jacob-63
Not Necessarily, but with the OP's condition, I guess so

Okay, explain to me how a handheld is equal or superior to a bench tune.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:39 PM

C63 AMG
Like I said I'm not getting into a tuner war. I'm just going by what the renntech engineers explained to me what the difference is. They said there are many things you CANT do with a programmer that you can do by removing the ecu and opening it.

Don't worry, your correct. Same thing with the Modern Mopar / HEMI world. Diablo handheld tuners are popular and common... but you also have places like Arrington Performance that dyno tune the ECU directly with Chrysler software (they are one of the few who have Mother Mopar's software).

Anyway, long story short - same thing. Diablo handhelds got the job done, but getting a tune done by a shop like Arrington Performance is superior. Simply more tables to adjust... along with turning off O2 sensors, etc.. just more thorough.

Tuning is more then simply tuning for WOT. A handheld can do that... But you have part throttle to account for as well as many other aspects of the tune.
Old 12-06-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2013 C63 Coupe
Thor2j- Agree my post was not to start tuner war.
I also agree with you a bench turn can be more thorough. As I mentioned my E350 ECU bench tune took a few more hours to debug. (So I didn't get the ECU back for another day). If I recall Eurocharged tried loading and debugging twice.

Overall, the hand helds offer the added convenience.

I am glad that the RennTech tune worked for you in the end. Regards and happy (safe) motoring! sinape62