C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Throttle Control

Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 507
Throttle Control

Question to the members on throttle control. I've noticed that pushing the pedal down all the way very quickly when either stopped or rolling at very low speeds causes literally, little to slight or very low power exhibit. It's like the car says no to it. Seems like a managed depress and practice on getting the pedal down in a controlled manner as the car "accepts" your input is what gets the car going at its best. Is this what you've experienced? What is the best way to get the car to WOT when speed is very low? Also how does the C S S+ and M modes affect any of this in your cars?
Old 12-08-2013, 07:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
You're most likely experiencing what I think is called the drive-by-wire mechanism. It's in nearly all modern cars. Many luxurious cars are made this way to improve the smoothness of the car.

There are a few options:

1. Get a tune. It'll most likely improve the throttle response. And you'll gain more power as well.
2. Get a SprintBooster or PedalBox. This increases the voltage that is sent through the accelerator, but I personally don't like this as it just 'masks' the lag. And you don't get any power gains.
3. Just drive with a few WOT back to back. Your ECU is adaptive to your driving style.

From what I can remember, C should have the slowest throttle response since you're starting in 2nd gear, and it simply increases from there (I.e. C > S > S+ > M)

Last edited by tfthach13; 12-08-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Slow Vehicle
Originally Posted by tfthach13
You're most likely experiencing what I think is called the drive-by-wire mechanism. It's in nearly all modern cars. Many luxurious cars are made this way to improve the smoothness of the car.

There are a few options:

1. Get a tune. It'll most likely improve the throttle response. And you'll gain more power as well.
2. Get a SprintBooster or PedalBox. This increases the voltage that is sent through the accelerator, but I personally don't like this as it just 'masks' the lag. And you don't get any power gains.
3. Just drive with a few WOT back to back. Your ECU is adaptive to your driving style.

From what I can remember, C should have the slowest throttle response since you're starting in 2nd gear, and it simply increases from there (I.e. C > S > S+ > M)
Well said
Old 12-08-2013, 09:14 PM

'09 C63
Originally Posted by Overspooled
Well said
Thanks!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Current: 2019 M5 Donnington Gray, 2021 GLE53 Diamond White Met. Previous: 2010 C63, 2012 E550 Coupe
I've never felt the need for a Sprint Booster in my C63 though I've liked it in an E350 and our current E550. Is it possible that the OP is having the ESC (or whatever it's called) interrupt the power delivery because the WOT is causing the wheels to spin?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:13 PM

'09 C63
Originally Posted by Cavu
I've never felt the need for a Sprint Booster in my C63 though I've liked it in an E350 and our current E550. Is it possible that the OP is having the ESC (or whatever it's called) interrupt the power delivery because the WOT is causing the wheels to spin?
I agree that the C63 doesn't need a SprintBooster simply because it's an AMG. There's less lag in an AMG versus a non-AMG.

If the OP is referring to the ESC kicking in then the only real way to fix it is with an LSD and/or wider tires in the rear. Even then there will stil be traction issues. Or he/she needs to learn how to roll into the throttle. There's too much torque in the C63 to be properly applied the way the C63 is set up from the factory.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:03 AM

C63 507
Excellent info, thank you.
Looks like learning how to "push" into the throttle with the right "attitude" is primary to getting the most out of acceleration from low speeds. At higher speeds 30+ or similar its more responsive with a fairly aggressive downshift and go.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:06 PM

2010 C63 AMG
I have noticed that slamming the gas pedal result in a lag of acceleration or even makes you wonder, for a moment, if the signal from the pedal would ever reach its goal!

The best way to properly depress the peddle, is in a gentle but firm push at initial engagement, and then increasing the momentum from there. Smooth!!

Try it and let us know.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:28 PM

C63 507
This is exactly what I'm trying to get right, and it's working ok. Another problem is that the throttle response seems to require different press-down technique depending on the C S S+ and M setting.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Giedreb
This is exactly what I'm trying to get right, and it's working ok. Another problem is that the throttle response seems to require different press-down technique depending on the C S S+ and M setting.
Yes the car is limiting power by slipping the clutch to keep things comfortable the higher the setting from C the less slipping that will happen and faster power lock up and faster shifts.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
It's also known as "adaptive tranny." Give it a few cycles of WOT at more than 10 sec each, or disconnect the battery negative terminal for at least overnight to reset. Yes, this adaptive tranny is one of the nuisance of modern technology. It should only be found in non-AMG cars. Unfortunately, it's not.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by 2012C63AMG
Yes the car is limiting power by slipping the clutch to keep things comfortable the higher the setting from C the less slipping that will happen and faster power lock up and faster shifts.
Best answer That's exactly what it is .. I know if traction control is on and I get on it in 2nd gear the TC light won't go on but it's obvious the clutch is slipping to not allow abrupt power that would blow the tires off. Since the OP has a c63 with MCT I agree that's what he's feeling. AMG incorporated clutch slip into it's traction management at times when it's better to let it slip instead of tapping the brakes and killing the throttle which would wake you bog big time. Drive in traction control - Sport mode ! Or off :-)
Old 12-10-2013, 06:21 PM

C63 507
Not sure about the clutch slipping but in my case the engine won't rev up in response to the pedal action, it acts like it's just lugging along for a few seconds until I release that rapid pedal punch and do it smoother/slower.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM

C63 Coupe
Not sure about the clutch slipping but in my case the engine won't rev up in response to the pedal action, it acts like it's just lugging along for a few seconds until I release that rapid pedal punch and do it smoother/slower.
Try it with the traction control fully off ! If it doesn't do it than it's not clutch slip. I experience a similar feel and it's def clutch slip in my case. If I gradually get on it instead of stomping it the feeling is not there. Or if I have my traction control off
Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 PM

C63 507
Is Traction Control off the same as Sport mode? I haven't found any setting that references Traction Control, just the Sport Mode on/off.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM

C63 Coupe
Is Traction Control off the same as Sport mode? I haven't found any setting that references Traction Control, just the Sport Mode on/off.
Nope sport mode is still on just gives you more room to play before the system kicks in. If you hold the button down for 5 seconds it will be completely off and I've noticed I don't get the same clutch slip feel with it off. Maybe your case is different than mine just trying to help with some of my experience.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:01 PM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Most of these comments make no sense to me whatsoever. When I put my foot down, the car instantly wants to go. What stops it going, however, is not having enough traction to handle all the torque. Loss of traction means traction control kicks in and it feels like the car is not responding. As one person said, turn off the traction control by holding down the button for 5 seconds and try it (in a safe place, if you WOT in anything other than C from standstill with traction control off then you will start burning rubber, potentially taking you sideways very quickly).

Sport mode (for the traction control - not the transmission) is a halfway point, which will let you spin a little, but will cut in reasonably quickly (you should feel a bit of a 'wiggle' in the back end). Its a good mode to use if you want to test the traction limits of the car without exposing yourself too much.

Talk of drive by wire, clutch slipping, sprint boosters etc I just don't understand.

Last edited by Bardman; 12-10-2013 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Made reference to sport mode for traction control more specific.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63s AMG W205
Put it simple: the initial pressure on the throttle should be enuf to rev the engine upto about 1600rpm (when traction control is off), 1500 if in sports n 1300 ish when the traction is full on, these rpms should be jst about right to minimize the wheels spinning (when traction is off) n traction control interference.
Due to the low end torque frm our V8 n tiny factory rear tyres it does take a bit practice to get it right. Plus dont floor it immediately after take off, instead slightly reduce the pressure after the initial pump n get a feel of the rear end traction, then gradually floor it. You will smile every time when u get it right
Old 12-11-2013, 04:41 PM

C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Bardman
Most of these comments make no sense to me whatsoever. When I put my foot down, the car instantly wants to go. What stops it going, however, is not having enough traction to handle all the torque. Loss of traction means traction control kicks in and it feels like the car is not responding. As one person said, turn off the traction control by holding down the button for 5 seconds and try it (in a safe place, if you WOT in anything other than C from standstill with traction control off then you will start burning rubber, potentially taking you sideways very quickly).

Sport mode (for the traction control - not the transmission) is a halfway point, which will let you spin a little, but will cut in reasonably quickly (you should feel a bit of a 'wiggle' in the back end). Its a good mode to use if you want to test the traction limits of the car without exposing yourself too much.

Talk of drive by wire, clutch slipping, sprint boosters etc I just don't understand.
Just because you dont know of these occurrences doesnt make them false do a little research and youll find out everything you need to know

The part about clutch slipping is a fact and has been talked about by engineers from AMG. Sign up to the Private Lounge AMG Forums they had a whole discussion about how clutch slip was integrated into the new traction control system to be used to limit power instead of killing timing/ throttle closure on the older cars. Its also a reason why MCT cars overheat faster on the track when the traction control is left on.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:28 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
Originally Posted by tfthach13
I agree that the C63 doesn't need a SprintBooster simply because it's an AMG. There's less lag in an AMG versus a non-AMG
Not sure about this. This is the one thing I did not like about my C63. Anything other than a gentle pedal push, would lead to a very noticeable "lag". Not the traction control struggling to keep up with the massive torque but a SILENT engine instead.

Traded the C63 for an ML63 and guess what... The same thing! Completely annoying!

This is why my 1986 190E 16V remains as one of the most fun to drive cars I've ever owned...zero lag...puts a smile on my face every time.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ford svt's, and C63!!!
Drive by wire sucks...
Old 01-09-2014, 07:28 AM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
Originally Posted by skaarlaj
Drive by wire sucks...
You're not kidding. That's what had me looking around for info on one of these boosters.

After some reading I perceive that most of the bad "reviews" are from people that have not used them. Most of the ones that purchased either one of these boosters seem to be happy with the FUN factor, which is why many of us buy an AMG car in the first place.