C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2012 MCT...S+ is still 6th gear at 30mph?

Old 12-19-2013, 04:50 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
2012 MCT...S+ is still 6th gear at 30mph?

I recently picked up a 2012 C63 and I'm still figuring out the transmission.

I noticed that in S or S+ the car is more likely to downshift faster (compared to C), but it still upshifts at 2K RPM so by 40mph I'm already in 6th gear. I was thinking S+ would hold gears until at least 3-4K RPM before shifting up.

I noticed that you can up or downshift manually in S and then it will shift up and hold whatever gear you selected (like D3 or D4).

Manual mode is great, but I was hoping that S/S+ was like a middle mode between C and M for when you want full auto, but you also don't want granny C mode either.

Is this normal?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by realjones88
I recently picked up a 2012 C63 and I'm still figuring out the transmission.

I noticed that in S or S+ the car is more likely to downshift faster (compared to C), but it still upshifts at 2K RPM so by 40mph I'm already in 6th gear. I was thinking S+ would hold gears until at least 3-4K RPM before shifting up.

I noticed that you can up or downshift manually in S and then it will shift up and hold whatever gear you selected (like D3 or D4).

Manual mode is great, but I was hoping that S/S+ was like a middle mode between C and M for when you want full auto, but you also don't want granny C mode either.

Is this normal?
The car will adapt to how you drive. And yes it will do that. Push down on the gas more, I shift at 4k rpm during normal driving no need to bog the car down shifting at 2k or 3k rpm.

I only drive in M 98% of the time unless I need a free hand I briefly put it in S+, and its my opinion the computer and transmission are **** on this car and C, S and S+ are basically worthless.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 66 Posts
C63 coupe, Z3M Roadster garage queen
I'm not that fond of M. It'll only allow you to downshift one gear at a time while auto modes seem able to jump three or more gears at once when you need it. Auto modes are faster than I am with the paddles, and the car seems almost intuitive in auto - if I'm driving hard and jump on the brakes for a turn, it'll start downshifting in advance so that I'm in just the right gear when I hit the apex and start back into the gas. I'm pretty impressed.

I'm still learning this transmission too. There are a couple of obvious differences between C, S and S+ (C starts off in 2nd gear, requires more pedal travel to trigger a downshift and seems to limit redline to 7,000) but likely a lot more I've not figured out yet. The manual was pretty useless. Has anyone got an official MBZ description of the differences between C, S and S+?
Old 12-19-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dreams
Originally Posted by zcct04
I'm not that fond of M. It'll only allow you to downshift one gear at a time while auto modes seem able to jump three or more gears at once when you need it. Auto modes are faster than I am with the paddles, and the car seems almost intuitive in auto - if I'm driving hard and jump on the brakes for a turn, it'll start downshifting in advance so that I'm in just the right gear when I hit the apex and start back into the gas. I'm pretty impressed.

totally agree!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:29 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by zcct04

I'm still learning this transmission too. There are a couple of obvious differences between C, S and S+ (C starts off in 2nd gear, requires more pedal travel to trigger a downshift and seems to limit redline to 7,000) but likely a lot more I've not figured out yet. The manual was pretty useless. Has anyone got an official MBZ description of the differences between C, S and S+?
You can read about them in your owners book…..

C= starts out in 2nd gear, its a comfort mode, early shifts and smooth and slow

S = start out in 1st gear from now on all modes start in 1st gear

S+= higher shift points, more RPM holding when driven aggressively the car will hold the gear for you and won't be as quick to upshift. (Try placing the car in S+ floor it then mash on the brakes you will notice how it downshifts aggressively and will hold a lower gear at a higher RPM , now do this in C mode you will see the difference.

M= you control it, fastest shifting times up to 100ms S+ off the top of my head is 25% slower. If you hold the paddle on the left or gear shift to the left it will shift down multiple gears just fine, its just a matter of knowing the little tips and tricks of this car.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
magic carpet
I didn't know you can hold down the paddle for multiple shifts... Haha thanks for the tip!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:06 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by fredtye
I didn't know you can hold down the paddle for multiple shifts... Haha thanks for the tip!
Only for downshifts, to upshift you must click away. The left paddle hold down for me i sometimes get mixed results as I might not be holding it down long enough, I prefer to hold the stick to the left that way I don't mess up.