C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Weird Humming Noise - Need Help Figuring Out!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Weird Humming Noise - Need Help Figuring Out!

Okay so when I drive my car there is a humming noise coming from the drivers side front tire area. The noise gets slightly louder the faster the car goes and it slightly cycles but to no particular pattern.

A little bit of history. My car was in an accident in July where an old lady hit me right on the driver's side wheel (Where the problem area is). The car was repaired however I had my worn winter wheels installed because my summer rim was damaged beyond repair. I noticed the humming noise then but the body shop said that it was just tire noise. I then went to the Benz Dealer a month later to inspect the wheel bearing but they said it was fine and probably just the tire noise from the old winter tires.

Well a two weeks ago I put on new winter tires and the noise is still there! It doesn't bother me when I have the music on but when its quiet it drives me insane!

Do any of you have any idea what might be causing it? It sounds like rubbing but I don't see anything rubbing. the only thing I do notice is that the inner wheel well liner isn't attached completely and air might be getting in (I don't know how to fix that, and not sure if that would actually cause this sound.) The only other things with my car is that Im lowered on H&R Springs, and the side markers are not cut out of the bumper so it looks super clean haha

My Diagnosis of things it might be;
Wheel Bearing
Brakes
Wheel Well Liner

Any suggestions? Im dying to figure this out and the dealer seems to have no suggestions!
Old 12-20-2013, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
maybe the wheel well liner. since it's flapping around, air flow may push it down onto the tires when you go faster. try attaching it properly and see if the noise goes away.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
The wheel well liner is made from felt, if it's rubbing, you'll see the felt completely rubbed off. That's a quick way to determine rubbing of the wheel well liner.
Old 12-20-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 040 Black C63, 2009 Arctic White G55, 2012 Storm Red CLS550 4Matic
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
The wheel well liner is made from felt, if it's rubbing, you'll see the felt completely rubbed off. That's a quick way to determine rubbing of the wheel well liner.
The rear wheel well liner is made of felt, the front is not. The OP is having issues with his front end.