C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Auto Part Stores and incorrect oil recommendation

Old 12-26-2013, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Auto Part Stores and incorrect oil recommendation

So, I came across this completely by accident. Most of us know to use 0W40 or 5W40 in accordance with MB Spec 229.5 and 223.2 (the later stating the M156 engine is only to use 0W40 or 5W40 from the list under 229.5).

On to the issue. Parts sites are recommending 0W30 through 10W30 and in some cases (Olympus Auto parts, a chain in the DC/MD/VA area)20W50.

I did a quick check on Autozone and Advance Auto parts in addition to Olympus Auto, they are all recommending as part of their default results the entire list of oils from 229.5 and 229.51.

Just something to be aware of, this is not to start an argument over whether 0W or 5W is to be used, both are on the MB spec list. It does appear that the parts sites are ignoring MB spec 223.2 though.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Thanks for the heads up! This is especially important for all the DIY service guys out there, or those planning to service their cars themselves. Always do your research and use multiple sources. Double check with the dealership. Even if you don't use their services, a call to any service advisor should help you. Just don't ask them for a step by step on how to do something..I'm pretty sure they want to be paid for their servicea.

I don't trust autoparts guys most of the time anyways. They're just there to sell you parts. It's rare to find one that's genuine and knowledgable in their recommendations.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I actually buy my oil from my dealer, I get a really good deal, much much less than the big box stores (hell, it is even cheaper than Amazon). I would not trust parts stores for advice either, but at the same time, it all depends, some of the employees are actually pretty smart, but it is impossible for them to know the requirements for every vehicle made, which is why they rely on their computer systems.

Currently the computers are recommending the incorrect information, which for the DIYer who does not have a good relationship with their dealers parts department (I highly recommend this), means they will be putting crap into their cars.

I suspect they all use the same inventory/pos type systems, and probably also get their data source from the same providers.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
If you put 20w50 in your Benz you shouldn't own a wrench lol.

Air cooled v-twin Harley's use 20w50.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, but that is not the point... And I would use that.

The point was, that the places where people purchase there products to work on their cars (Oil, ATF, filters, gaskets, and potentially some other stuff), has bad information. Right now it is limited to oil, but next year, wrong ATF fluid (at least currently they do not show any available ATF fluids for the 722.9 tranny), wrong bolts with incorrect torque specs, wrong battery sizing, who knows..