C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Upgrading to 2012+ CLS63 AMG - Thoughts?

Old 01-17-2014, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 S63 AMG
Upgrading to 2012+ CLS63 AMG - Thoughts?

I'm thinking about upgrading (if you consider it an upgrade, as I do) to a 2012 CLS63. What I'm wanting to know is your opinions on the move. The dilemma I'm having is that I would be looking into the used market for one. Currently a used CLS63 (2012+) is around 75k+ US. I paid 50k for my barely used 2010 C63 AMG.

So what I'm trying to weigh, giving the current prices of these used vehicles, is if the CLS63 is worth the extra $25k or %50 increase over the cost of the C63.

I know this will be mostly opinion based but that's what I'm looking for. I have no issues with my C63 AMG (other than it burns more gas than my boosted Z06) but there's something about the CLS63 that makes me want to make the jump.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 BS, 2011 SLS, 2014 CLS63-S
Of course this is purely subjective, but I currently own both vehicles and will share my thoughts. I drive both cars on a regular basis and can tell you they are two completely different animals, so it depends on what you are looking for in a car.

The CLS is refined and feels more akin to a luxury sedan than sports car. I don't feel the need to whip around corners as much and find I focus on the radio rather than the exhaust note. That being said, my tuned CLS is scary fast in a straight line. I love knowing I can (almost) outrun anything I come across. I have V-boxed my CLS at 3.3 0-60 in 80 degree weather with 40% humidity The car is a straight line beast.

Now the C63 on the other hand is just plain fun!! I don't care about 0-60's or how luxurious the car isn't. There is just something about this car that brings out the hooligan in you and a smile on your face. The c63 feels raw compared to the cls, so it truly depends on what you are looking for. Refinement or raw fun I hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:57 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
Two different animals but the CLS63 is one refined luxury ride with , that can run a 10.xx second 1/4 mile with basically a tune

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 01-17-2014, 10:35 AM

2013 S63 AMG
Excellent responses =). Maybe that'll help me make a better informed decision. My 07 Z06 is boosted and is putting down 671whp/660tq at full boost so that gives me my "ear-to-ear grin" when I hit 4krpm in second gear with my drag radials.

I bought the C63 as a replacement daily driver mainly because I wanted to run street radials (Nitto NT05R's) and didn't want to have to deal with the rain (since I live in Florida) as well as wanting something I can just jump into, put into gear and go. Of course the difference in luxury is also a wanted bonus and there's no comparsion between the Z and the Benz.

So I'm thinking (or at least trying to convince myself) that it would make more sense to have my Z as my "brute' V8 with decent cornering and upgrade to the CLS for the better luxury/comfort ride but still have the hp/tq that I desire in my cars. Not that the C63 doesn't have that but I'm guessing that the 5.5 bi-turbo can be tuned and upgraded with the 4matic setup to make it one hell of a fast luxury car.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:40 AM

2013 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by ced357
Of course this is purely subjective, but I currently own both vehicles and will share my thoughts. I drive both cars on a regular basis and can tell you they are two completely different animals, so it depends on what you are looking for in a car.

The CLS is refined and feels more akin to a luxury sedan than sports car. I don't feel the need to whip around corners as much and find I focus on the radio rather than the exhaust note. That being said, my tuned CLS is scary fast in a straight line. I love knowing I can (almost) outrun anything I come across. I have V-boxed my CLS at 3.3 0-60 in 80 degree weather with 40% humidity The car is a straight line beast.

Now the C63 on the other hand is just plain fun!! I don't care about 0-60's or how luxurious the car isn't. There is just something about this car that brings out the hooligan in you and a smile on your face. The c63 feels raw compared to the cls, so it truly depends on what you are looking for. Refinement or raw fun I hope this helps.
Your last statement I feel nails it. I have the Z for raw fun so I suppose I'm looking for more refinement. Any thoughts on a ML63 AMG?
Old 01-17-2014, 11:13 AM

2013 S63 AMG
Also, if the 4matic a "must" on these cars? I see the 2014 comes with the 4matic in the US as standard equipment. However, I'm looking at a 2012.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
You live in sunny Tampa, Florida. 4matic is not a must for you.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:39 PM

2013 S63 AMG
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
You live in sunny Tampa, Florida. 4matic is not a must for you.
Ok, cool. So I won't be loosing performance without it? I'm assuming the car has to be somewhat heavier with it but traction would also be better too?
Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by RalphSmithIII
Ok, cool. So I won't be loosing performance without it? I'm assuming the car has to be somewhat heavier with it but traction would also be better too?
You would be giving up would be the initial 4 wheel launch from a stop. You wouldn't be giving anything up from a roll. Stop light to stop light, the newer one with 4matic will win everytime.