C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Lil help with mods please...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:24 PM

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
S63
Lil help with mods please...

Hey guys, I'm new to the "modding" world and need some assistance... I recently purchased an 09 CLS63 (Iknow I'm in the C63 section, but the CLS section doesn't get much traffic ).
I'm already Eurocharged tuned, and now it's time for more.
Here's where I'm at... I was going to get a LTH system, (headers, mid pipes, x pipes and cats). Then I read how loud they are and I don't want that for my DD. I spoke with mike from MBH and he suggested JUST the LTH and leave the rest stock. it would Give me nice HP gains and only a lil more sound. This option sounds great to me and is exactly what I'm looking for.
So, 3 questions to go along with the LTH:
1) Is a larger 82mm TB worth the high price tag to send more air in to the engine?
2) If so, would I need the ROW air boxes or something like the crazy priced Renntech air box to go along with the TB?
3) if I increase the air flow in with the TB and air box, will the LTH's alone be sufficient enough to let the exhaust out, or would the rest of it (past the LTH) need to be swapped out for it to escape?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated, and sorry for the long post!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
just get LTH with cats or x-pipe, leave the rest stock. Forget 1, 2
Old 01-18-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
[QUOTE=Manofsteelpt;5912320]Hey guys, I'm new to the "modding" world and need some assistance... I recently purchased an 09 CLS63 (Iknow I'm in the C63 section, but the CLS section doesn't get much traffic ).
I'm already Eurocharged tuned, and now it's time for more.
Here's where I'm at... I was going to get a LTH system, (headers, mid pipes, x pipes and cats). Then I read how loud they are and I don't want that for my DD. I spoke with mike from MBH and he suggested JUST the LTH and leave the rest stock. it would Give me nice HP gains and only a lil more sound. This option sounds great to me and is exactly what I'm looking for.
So, 3 questions to go along with the LTH:
1) Is a larger 82mm TB worth the high price tag to send more air in to the engine?
2) If so, would I need the ROW air boxes or something like the crazy priced Renntech air box to go along with the TB?
3) if I increase the air flow in with the TB and air box, will the LTH's alone be sufficient enough to let the exhaust out, or would the rest of it (past the LTH) need to be swapped out for it to escape?
Thanks, any help would be appreciated, and sorry for the long post![/

I say it'll be a little more than little when removing primary cats.....the louder exhaust will be for more power though so worth it for some folks
Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 PM

S63
Thanks for the reply... I was under the impression that if I just install the LTH, and leave the rest stock, the noise will be tamed. Won't the car end up pretty loud of I swap out the rest? I reada few posts with members saying the whole set up is way too loud for DD... Even a cpl guys returning to stock.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:55 PM

S63
[QUOTE=SROC276;5912337
I say it'll be a little more than little when removing primary cats.....the louder exhaust will be for more power though so worth it for some folks[/QUOTE]

Are you saying that swapping just the MBH LTH's it'll still be pretty loud and not quite as subtle as implied?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:57 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt
Thanks for the reply... I was under the impression that if I just install the LTH, and leave the rest stock, the noise will be tamed. Won't the car end up pretty loud of I swap out the rest? I reada few posts with members saying the whole set up is way too loud for DD... Even a cpl guys returning to stock.
Nothing can beat the power of long tube so I like them very much but for my application is was way too loud not to mention exhaust gas smell. I had mine removed and used the PLM shorty header set up which is a direct replacement for factory header and still goes back into primary cat. I now have a lot less top end but still better than stock. You can always try it first and see how you like it....a lot of people always looking for headers to you can easily sell them if you don't like them. Loss is cost for install and deinstall mostly...plus time
Old 01-18-2014, 07:01 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by SROC276
Nothing can beat the power of long tube so I like them very much but for my application is was way too loud not to mention exhaust gas smell. I had mine removed and used the PLM shorty header set up which is a direct replacement for factory header and still goes back into primary cat. I now have a lot less top end but still better than stock. You can always try it first and see how you like it....a lot of people always looking for headers to you can easily sell them if you don't like them. Loss is cost for install and deinstall mostly...plus time
I think mbh has a shorty header but not sure...my car is a daily driver too. I have the full ipe exhuast Fromm 200 cell secondary cat y pipe all the back to muffler. Only stock item in exhaust is the primary cat, everything else changed.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:03 PM

S63
Originally Posted by SROC276
Excellent advice, thank you very much! Any thoughts on 1 & 2?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by Manofsteelpt
Excellent advice, thank you very much! Any thoughts on 1 & 2?
I don't have 1 so don't know although in prior cars it helped a little.....I am running carbonio and I am happy with it...not sure if it added power honestly but I'd do afe pro dry drop ins work quite well across the power band. A few people here liked the carbonio and others didn't....as long as you install it properly the. There shouldn't be any issues. I liked the renntech unit but not the price
Old 01-18-2014, 07:31 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Biggest bottle neck short of removing primary cat is the secondary cat and resonator right after it. I am running ipe 200 cell y pipe into x pipe configuration before ipe mufflers. Big difference in power and sound. You can always try removing second cat first, try sound.....then x pipe in lieu of resonator....or spend some good money on a cat back system that removes factory secondary cats. That should do it.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
I'd definately run a high flow cat and possibly get some nice mufflers. Long tubes with no cats and stock mufflers sound terrible and are very loud. the akropovic exhaust is actually really quiet uness you're getting on it.

Last edited by roadtalontsi; 01-18-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:53 PM

2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
I'd definately run a high flow cat and possibly get some nice mufflers. Long tubes with no cats and stock mufflers sound terrible and are very loud. the akropovic exhaust is actually really quite uness you're getting on it.
Agreed
Old 01-19-2014, 10:25 AM

S63
I don't see an Akrop set up for my CLS63... Can you guys recommend another brand/set up?

Would just shortie headers give me more power and decent sound? Or, would the headers (eother Long or Short) and some slip on mufflers (Eisenman, SuperSprint, Meister) give me the power and tame the loudness?