Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
CTS-V and the C63

realized i posted this is the wrong c63 section. anyway,

just looking for some input on people who have driven both.

They seem similar, large sedan with big motors.. just curious as to how they feel? Do you feel the weight in one more than the other? How does the powerband feel with the S/C as compared to the N/A c63?

I was absolutely floored when i saw them at the drag strip today. Very impressed with the power from the V. It's actually making me consider it as a runner up for my next car along side the c63..
Old 01-26-2014, 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
I test drove a CTS-V sedan back-to-back with a C63 sedan.

The CTS-V felt fast and the magnetic ride control was fantastic. However, because the car was so heavy, and because it rode so luxuriously, I felt the sensation of speed was missing in the Cadillac.

In other words, I felt very isolated in the quieter, softer-riding CTS-V.

The C63's suspension was a little harsher but at the same time, it was more communicative. I liked the "rawer" feel of the C63.

Finally, because the C63 felt noticeably lighter, you could really feel the speed when applying the throttle. The sensation of speed was further heightened by the roar of the V8 motor and the loud, throaty, AMG exhaust system. The AMG sounds angry when you bury the accelerator pedal in S+. It's like the car begs you to take it to triple digit speeds.

The C63 felt like an un-caged animal. I felt connected to the car when applying the various inputs: steering, braking, and throttle.

Whereas in the CTS-V, I felt that I was along for the ride.

Hope that makes sense. Would be happy to answer any follow-up questions.

Last edited by zibby43; 01-26-2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
supercharger is obnoxiously loud, the ride is ok, transmission blows, and the brakes feel crappy too. combine that with typical gm interior build quality and I feel it's a very poor competitor over all. In a straight line sure it's faster stock for stock.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 GT3RS F800R
CTS-V's gas pedal felt so soft steering was too soft visibility was meh but was fast/comfortable. Personally was a good car but too soft for my taste... But keep in mind that those cars are faster around a track aswell as a straight line stock vs stock. Idk what happens with modified ones going against each other.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:27 AM

C63, 335i
All I gotta say is that the CTS-V did not feel fast at all. I'm sure it'll smoke our C63's with a simple tune and pulley, but it just didn't have the feel of the AMG. Although the suspension is definitely an upgrade over the P30 suspension on the AMG, I feel like the C63 is a more enjoyable car to drive.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
I've owned both and currently own a CTS V.

Honestly, I more impressed with the V. But I'm not a kid anymore, so I enjoy the luxurious ride and the interior quietness. I still like to modify my vehicles though and the V is much cheaper and easier to modify.

I ran the above with following mods:
Ariaid intake
2.5 blower pulley
Ported Snout and TB
ID850's
Front mount HX
Old 01-27-2014, 02:36 PM

c63 AMG
This goes along with what most other people have said but I just bought my C63 this last weekend after test driving the e92 M3 Sedan, CTS-V sedan, and the C63 AMG. The CTS-V was quick but didn't react as quickly as the C63 and the gearbox was crap in comparison. When I finished driving the CTS-V the brakes were also smoking like I had just done a couple laps at the track which was a bit worrisome after a 15 minute test drive where I only braked hard once.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
mazda rx7
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
supercharger is obnoxiously loud, the ride is ok, transmission blows, and the brakes feel crappy too. combine that with typical gm interior build quality and I feel it's a very poor competitor over all. In a straight line sure it's faster stock for stock.
C63 auto Tranny is not much better and the CTS-V comes in manual.
The following users liked this post:
C63fora2w1 (06-02-2017)
Old 01-27-2014, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by Vdub02
This goes along with what most other people have said but I just bought my C63 this last weekend after test driving the e92 M3 Sedan, CTS-V sedan, and the C63 AMG. The CTS-V was quick but didn't react as quickly as the C63 and the gearbox was crap in comparison. When I finished driving the CTS-V the brakes were also smoking like I had just done a couple laps at the track which was a bit worrisome after a 15 minute test drive where I only braked hard once.
My brakes have been fine. 8500+ miles but I don't beat on them on a regular basis. I've had to stop very hard a few times and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. Also, a competent tuner can correct the sluggish feel of the gearbox. Mine did and it shifts extremely fast and crisp in Sport mode.

Ultimately, my decision came down to which platform was cheaper to modify and make faster but still maintain that luxury feel. I know many on here like to bash on GM(not necessarily you) regarding their quality or lack there of but the V is an awesome car.

The C63 is a great car too. I owned one for 2-1/2 years. It was a lot of fun. Best I could run was 11.2 @ 125.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:05 PM

2013 Ram 2500 Limited 2013 Harley CVO Road Glide
Not to hijack.. But who's hood is that Petro?
Old 01-27-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C63/X5/ML/YUGO
That was a nice c63 you had Petro,and I se you enjoying the cts-v is well
Old 01-27-2014, 04:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
thanks for the replys guys. i was a bit afriad that i might feel the weight in the V. I've driven a CL63, and that car is loaded with power but still felt like a boat...

Petro what would a tune put me at on this car?
Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM

2015 E63S AMG & 2013 GLK350
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi[/quote
In a straight line sure it's faster stock for stock.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that, quickest stock car on dragtimes is 11.97 at 116mph and that was the only stock one in the 11's the rest are low 12's, I've personally been 11.91 at 118mph in my C63 coupe when bone stock.

That said if your planning to modify and can look past the GMness of it you cannot beat the LSx engine platform, it is IMHO the best line of engines ever made period. The amount of power that can be made with stock parts, the amount of power the stock bottom end can take, and the almost limitless aftermarket not to mention the ability to actually work with the PCM. I can put a stock LS3 Corvette in the 9's for less than the cost of a Westec kit and still retain excellent street manners and reliability. Did it on a friends daily driver '08 Corvette several years ago with an ECS supercharger, shorty headers, and drag radials = 700+whp and 9.9 at 140+mph
Old 01-27-2014, 09:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by TTA850
In a straight line sure it's faster stock for stock.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that, quickest stock car on dragtimes is 11.97 at 116mph and that was the only stock one in the 11's the rest are low 12's, I've personally been 11.91 at 118mph in my C63 coupe when bone stock.

That said if your planning to modify and can look past the GMness of it you cannot beat the LSx engine platform, it is IMHO the best line of engines ever made period. The amount of power that can be made with stock parts, the amount of power the stock bottom end can take, and the almost limitless aftermarket not to mention the ability to actually work with the PCM. I can put a stock LS3 Corvette in the 9's for less than the cost of a Westec kit and still retain excellent street manners and reliability. Did it on a friends daily driver '08 Corvette several years ago with an ECS supercharger, shorty headers, and drag radials = 700+whp and 9.9 at 140+mph [/QUOTE]

Mini HiJack but .... You improved to an 11.3 @ 125 with just headers and tune ?! What kind of drag setup are you running and what s the best launch technique with MCT? Feel free to PM if you dont want to talk about it here. Great times !
Old 01-27-2014, 10:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Yup, people love to BASH GM cars, but my first car was a 1998 Trans Am...car has been rock solid from day one. I love the thing. I've got a LOT done to it, but the interior and other stuff has held up GREAT! Sure there are rattles, but 40,000 of my miles have bee driven with longtubes and a cutout So that is what caused the rattles...One complaint I did have is that GM does cut corners, so I had to replace my headlight gears with metal ones (they come as plastic from the factory and strip consistently)...but look at Mercedes and the head bolt issues...every car has its issues...

I haven't driven a CTS-V, but I want to. When the new 2015 V comes out, I'm gonna drive one
Old 01-28-2014, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Ezec63
Mini HiJack but .... You improved to an 11.3 @ 125 with just headers and tune ?! What kind of drag setup are you running and what s the best launch technique with MCT? Feel free to PM if you dont want to talk about it here. Great times !
Thanks, I'll put a little info here for anyone else that's interested and if you want we can continue in PM.

Simple list of what's done to my car: ROW air boxes with K&N filters, MBH headers with x-pipe/no cats, OE Stage 2 tune, and TSW Interlagos 17x8 rear wheels with 275/40R17 M/T ET Drag Radials. Everything else stock, 93 octane gas, and full weight (4130lbs with me).

I don't know if it's the best way to launch but my best times have come using race start, I'm leery about not using it as I once tried aggressively launching with some different techniques and the driveshaft snapped. All I'll say is don't flat punch it with the traction control off. That said race start is reliable and repeatable, I don't race the C as much as my Trans Am's but 60 passes last year with no issues most of them with race start.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by GRam
Not to hijack.. But who's hood is that Petro?
That's Dads63 Hood. He had a group buy and a bunch of us bought them. Nice, light and functional.

Originally Posted by Goni C63
That was a nice c63 you had Petro,and I se you enjoying the cts-v is well
Yes I am buddy. Love the V. It feels much lighter than it is.

Originally Posted by solekeeper
thanks for the replys guys. i was a bit afriad that i might feel the weight in the V. I've driven a CL63, and that car is loaded with power but still felt like a boat...

Petro what would a tune put me at on this car?
On a V? A tune would get you into the low to mid 11's depending on track conditions and weather. The pulley and tune mod is when the magic starts happening though. I went 10.8 @ 127 with pulley, tune, injectors, HX and intake. About $3,000 in parts and labor.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:09 PM

sl550
My lease is up on my c63 p31 coupe and I just picked up a 2014 cts-v sedan 6 speed. Here's my .02 cents on both:

Power: The cts-v is faster in stock form, and has a better power plant to start with, as you can swap for a smaller pulley, CAI, tune headers and you're over 620-650 hp for a few thousand bucks. I kept my c63 stock as it didn't pay to upgrade the already p31 performance package and tune.

Handling: I always felt c63 was too tail happy almost an untamed animal, and the suspension crashes over bumps and pot holes. The cts-v's magnetic ride control does a better job in Sport and absorbs the bumps better, and you can throw it in touring mode and it rides a like a standard cadillac

Looks: I like both in their own way, I feel the c63 blends in with other mercedes, I never got a second look in the car, although I don't really get too many looks in the caddy either. I love the aggressive front end of the cts-v and wide stance in the rear. The c63 is a pretty car, and the interior with my two tone ebony/white seats set it off nicely.

Sounds: The c63 sounds awesome, best sounding exhaust I've heard in stock form. Nothing like flooring the car and hitting redline and hearing that exhaust pop. The cts-v's exhaust is muted in the cabin, but it still sounds nice outside, sounds very close to a c6 corvette.

Fit and finish: The cts-v is a nice car although it's still GM so some of the dash buttons and plastic panels are cheaply made, but I've had corvette's before so it doesn't bother me. The sunroof rattles and the car makes some odd noises even though mine is brand new.

The c63 also had it share of squeaks and rattles in the dash/radio, sun roof always made noises over inclines or bumps. The car had been to the dealership 6 times and they still couldn't work out the rattles, they blamed the suspension being so hard which was bs.

All in all I like my cts-v better, it's essentially a 4 door corvette, it's cheaper to maintain and upgrade, and the power plant is better, I feel more exclusive and more of a sleeper.

I think digital trends online summed it up best on the cts-v as I have a newborn son "Cadillac is aiming at with the V series cars: namely, me, a driving enthusiast that has moved on from boy and toy racers but still wants to fire up the adrenal glands when the wife and kids aren’t in the car."

Last edited by bigsl550fan; 01-28-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
thanks petro.

bigsl, you as well.

reliability wise, how is that V motor?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by solekeeper
thanks petro.

bigsl, you as well.

reliability wise, how is that V motor?
Pretty stout.

There are guys who are making well over 600rwhp on the stock internals without issue. it's all in the tune. The key is to find a good tuner.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by PetroC63
The key is to find a good tuner.
Or become a good tuner, the best part about the LSx platform is the information and tools are available to the end user. Pick up a good uego controller tie it into HP Tuners suite (or EfI Live) and read one of the several books on tuning LSx PCM's and have at it. You can fine tune your car to your exact driving style and get the reward of doing it yourself.

For anyone going to a CTS-V from the European car world you have to think of the CTS-V as more of a Camaro than anything else (think ZL1).
Old 01-29-2014, 02:50 PM

sl550
The motor is very reliable, especially with additional mods, just make sure you go to a good tuner like Vette Doctors etc...
Old 01-29-2014, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 CTS-V
Originally Posted by TTA850
Or become a good tuner, the best part about the LSx platform is the information and tools are available to the end user. Pick up a good uego controller tie it into HP Tuners suite (or EfI Live) and read one of the several books on tuning LSx PCM's and have at it. You can fine tune your car to your exact driving style and get the reward of doing it yourself.

For anyone going to a CTS-V from the European car world you have to think of the CTS-V as more of a Camaro than anything else (think ZL1).
Very true.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
I owned a 2008 C63 for a year, then went to a 2011 CTS-V sedan for a year, then just came back to a 2014 C63 P31.

CTS-V is a great car. Rides very plush like a caddy, but can handle well too. A few more amenities that I like such as cooled seats, and remote start via phone and On-star. I miss those features.

However, the C63 is far more fun to drive. Sounds much better. Gets more attention and has more appeal, and feels much more lighter. The CTS-V feels like a gigantic boat with its weight, especially at low speeds while parking etc. Better gas mileage with C63 and the CTS-V has so many blind spots i'm surprised I never backed into anything.

At the end of the day, both are great cars but I went back to the C63 and very happy.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
With two cars of this caliber, I think it all boils down to subjective opinions. Of course both are absolutely amazing cars, you just have to figure out what's more important to you. Some people may prefer the relatively cheap modifying of the V and the potential to make it really fast for not too much $. While others may prefer the exclusivity of the C63 and the status quo that comes with having an AMG Merc. Like I said, put down a list of what's more important to you first and then decide.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CTS-V and the C63