Carbonio ariboxes+Cold Air Intake= 22 WHP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C63S E.1
Thumbs up Carbonio ariboxes+Cold Air Intake= 22 WHP

Good Day everyone

I just installed Carbonio ariboxes along with JL motoring Cold Air Intake, and this setup gave me 22 WHP & 18.5 HP torque

Dyno result: 489.1 WHP - torque 400 hp

before : 467 WHP - torque 381.5

pictures coming soon

My setup:

MBH LT headers
Test Pipe
Carbonio ariboxes
JL motoring Cold Air Intake
K&N filters
Weistec ECU tune
Weistec Air/Oil seperator

Next target - 500 WHP / 600 engine HP
Old 02-17-2014, 06:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
Congrats just be aware all dynos read different but well done
Old 02-17-2014, 06:42 AM

W205 C63S E.1
Both pulls (before & after) were done on the same dyno.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Congrats that's a nice gain. I have the same set up and gained me .2 in 1/4 mile.

Why Is your tq so low . With 489 rw u should be over 440tq on dyno jet .
Old 02-17-2014, 11:33 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Great to see this! I was just having a conversation with a customer about running a setup very similar to this!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Originally Posted by clichere1
Both pulls (before & after) were done on the same dyno.
Same day as well?
Old 02-17-2014, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
I'd be curious to know if the other supporting mods played into the amount of gain you were able to achieve... In other words, would a stock C63 reach those numbers as well from just those aforementioned mods?

These numbers seem high to me.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I am sure the headers and tune make it pick up a bit more power then a stock car would gain but I'm also sure that this setup would pick up power without those modifications!
Old 02-17-2014, 01:14 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
The cost of this is almost the same as a set of long tubes. Hardly cost effective. But if you are trying to squeeze every ounce of power out of the N/A setup, I guess you have to go this route.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Those are HUGE gains (5%) from an airbox mod alone. I'm happy that you're seeing that, but it's likely not repeatable in a car that does not have headers and still has cats in place. And, I would expect most gains to be in the midrange as opposed to at max RPM...
Old 02-17-2014, 08:12 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally Posted by Diabolis
Those are HUGE gains (5%) from an airbox mod alone. I'm happy that you're seeing that, but it's likely not repeatable in a car that does not have headers and still has cats in place. And, I would expect most gains to be in the midrange as opposed to at max RPM...
True but also good because the headers pick up a lot of top end so this should even it out and make the power band a bit better!
Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
mbworld
I'm glad to hear that you're happy with our performance AMG 63 intake. Those are great gains.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
Good Day everyone

I just installed Carbonio ariboxes along with JL motoring Cold Air Intake, and this setup gave me 22 WHP & 18.5 HP torque

Dyno result: 489.1 WHP - torque 400 hp

before : 467 WHP - torque 381.5

pictures coming soon

My setup:

MBH LT headers
Test Pipe
Carbonio ariboxes
JL motoring Cold Air Intake
K&N filters
Weistec ECU tune
Weistec Air/Oil seperator

Next target - 500 WHP / 600 engine HP
the airboxes didn't give you anything...that's a fact, I had my car dyno'd twice with carbonio and stock, 0 gain what so ever, the dyno didn't even pick it up. The boxes are kinda poorly designed too, I have them, my MAF wiggled around like crazy...IDK why they didn't just shave incerts for the stock clips..anyways since I put my stock boxes back on I actually notice the car runs smoother and the shifts are more on point, the cold air intake is probably were the gains came from

you probably dyno'd your car on different days, temps etc, it all matters especially if your above sea level

Last edited by avery.whss; 02-18-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

I want to know if these were same day pulls also, he hasn't responded yet since someone else asked
Old 02-18-2014, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by avery.whss
the airboxes didn't give you anything...that's a fact, I had my car dyno'd twice with carbonio and stock, 0 gain what so ever, the dyno didn't even pick it up. The boxes are kinda poorly designed too, I have them, my MAF wiggled around like crazy...IDK why they didn't just shave incerts for the stock clips..anyways since I put my stock boxes back on I actually notice the car runs smoother and the shifts are more on point, the cold air intake is probably were the gains came from

you probably dyno'd your car on different days, temps etc, it all matters especially if your above sea level
Now that is a much more likely scenario and the one I have come to believe, although debunking myths and speaking the truth is unfortunately rather unpopular in places like these (i.e. automotive forums) where there is a lot of money to be made from snake oil and wishful thinking. People need to believe that they are getting something other than a cosmetic upgrade for their $2.5K that no one except for them is even going to see and can actually rob their engines of power at lower RPMs.

Airboxes nowadays are designed as resonant systems, just like loudspeaker enclosures. You have to take into account compressible fluid mechanics and resonance patterns and optimize the design with CFD modelling, which is what MB does. I have yet to hear of any aftermarket tuner than does this. Unless you properly design the airbox to cancel out and minimize pressure changes at the intake port during the intake stroke (when you have low pressure as the engine sucks in air) and the compression/power/exhaust strokes (normal atmospheric pressure) and then tune the engine (adjust the fuel) for the amount of air you're delivering, you're not creating any additional power and quite possibly doing just the opposite in the mid-band. If your engine note changes and gets louder as a result of your aftermarket airbox, it's because you now have larger pressure changes (and thus sound) in the airbox as a result and you are making it more difficult for the engine to suck in the optimum amount of air. That results in a net power loss, not gain. You may gain 2-3 HP at the top end, but it comes at the expense of losing power in the midrange.

As for the material they're made of, the higher the thermal insulation of the airbox the less the engine will heat up the air as it goes in (denser air = more power). If it was structurally and mechanically feasible, an airbox made of styrofoam or porcelain would provide better thermal insulation and more gains than the same airbox made from plastics. CF is even worse as it generally has very high thermal conductivity.

So - could someone "in the know" please explain to me where these alleged power gains are coming from? I would really love to hear it.

<end rant>
Old 02-19-2014, 04:49 AM

W205 C63S E.1
Originally Posted by mthis
Congrats that's a nice gain. I have the same set up and gained me .2 in 1/4 mile.

Why Is your tq so low . With 489 rw u should be over 440tq on dyno jet .
Thanx , I'm not sure regarding the torque, it might be from the ECU, my mechanic told me that MHP have aggressive tune that will gain me even additional power and torque. I wonder if this is true

Originally Posted by msheredy
Same day as well?
No. it wasn't on the same day. But on the same dyno.
I'm not sure about the temperature, but I assume it can't give me gains closer to 20 hp on the wheels.
on Carbonio website, they said it should give 21 hp max on the engine, and I'm getting it on the wheels.

Originally Posted by Autosport7
I'd be curious to know if the other supporting mods played into the amount of gain you were able to achieve... In other words, would a stock C63 reach those numbers as well from just those aforementioned mods?

These numbers seem high to me.
I think I got these numbers as a combination of all of my mods.
I think I balance the mods between what's done before the engine and after it, and in addition, the ECU and how it handle the new changes.

I installed the airbox and drive it for two full days. I used S mode and press hard on the peddal to let the ECU see the changes in the air amount/volume in the intake. Then I dynoed the car.

Originally Posted by Diabolis
Now that is a much more likely scenario and the one I have come to believe, although debunking myths and speaking the truth is unfortunately rather unpopular in places like these (i.e. automotive forums) where there is a lot of money to be made from snake oil and wishful thinking. People need to believe that they are getting something other than a cosmetic upgrade for their $2.5K that no one except for them is even going to see and can actually rob their engines of power at lower RPMs.

Airboxes nowadays are designed as resonant systems, just like loudspeaker enclosures. You have to take into account compressible fluid mechanics and resonance patterns and optimize the design with CFD modelling, which is what MB does. I have yet to hear of any aftermarket tuner than does this. Unless you properly design the airbox to cancel out and minimize pressure changes at the intake port during the intake stroke (when you have low pressure as the engine sucks in air) and the compression/power/exhaust strokes (normal atmospheric pressure) and then tune the engine (adjust the fuel) for the amount of air you're delivering, you're not creating any additional power and quite possibly doing just the opposite in the mid-band. If your engine note changes and gets louder as a result of your aftermarket airbox, it's because you now have larger pressure changes (and thus sound) in the airbox as a result and you are making it more difficult for the engine to suck in the optimum amount of air. That results in a net power loss, not gain. You may gain 2-3 HP at the top end, but it comes at the expense of losing power in the midrange.

As for the material they're made of, the higher the thermal insulation of the airbox the less the engine will heat up the air as it goes in (denser air = more power). If it was structurally and mechanically feasible, an airbox made of styrofoam or porcelain would provide better thermal insulation and more gains than the same airbox made from plastics. CF is even worse as it generally has very high thermal conductivity.

So - could someone "in the know" please explain to me where these alleged power gains are coming from? I would really love to hear it.

<end rant>
I'm not an expert, but my experiance is that, I usuelly when I drive in 40-60 Km range then I step on the peddle all the way down, my wheels don't spin a lot. Now I get it so often.

It might I have gained power an torque , or I think it's time to change my tires.

Last edited by clichere1; 02-19-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:33 AM

W205 C63S E.1
Pix:

Engine bay

Power

Torque

Old 02-19-2014, 07:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
Definitely some impressive gains if correct !

I have the Renntech intake (haven't installed yet) I do plan on doing a baseline dyno (my car is 100% stock right now) and another dyno after the intake is on.

Im more-so curious to see if these things actually make some power, but it does look gorgeous, the craftsmanship is excellent. I expect a bit more throatier sound out of the car post-install if any expectations are to be had.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
The carbon definitely makes the engine bay look good. And then those blue couplers make it seem cheap IMO. I would go with some black ones.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
The carbon definitely makes the engine bay look good. And then those blue couplers make it seem cheap IMO. I would go with some black ones.
I agree here. The intake is masterful in the appearance department!
On a side note, can the center plastic piece be reinstalled after the Carbonio intake is in place? That area looks terrible with the cover left off.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:20 AM

W205 C63S E.1

regarding the MAF, I think it depends on your mechanic and how he install them.

my mechanic installed it with a liquid that he paste it in the screw hole before screw it tight. This prevent wiggiling or even losing off by time.

No CELL so far thank god

The workmanship of the boxes are not perfect, so the mechanic scrub/crave some areas for perfect and tight instillation.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
regarding the MAF, I think it depends on your mechanic and how he install them.

my mechanic installed it with a liquid that he paste it in the screw hole before screw it tight. This prevent wiggiling or even losing off by time.

No CELL so far thank god

The workmanship of the boxes are not perfect, so the mechanic scrub/crave some areas for perfect and tight instillation.
OP can I ask what cf side vents you have, they seem to look a bit different than the overbearing ones I typically see.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Pix:

Engine bay

Power

Torque

weird, my car dyno'd on the exact same type of dyno and pulled 490whp - 470-ish corrected with just a tune and stock boxes..when I put the carbonio boxes on it pulled the exact same, was during the same day, same dyno run too
Old 02-19-2014, 12:08 PM
Banned

S550 on order
Originally Posted by Kriston
Definitely some impressive gains if correct !

I have the Renntech intake (haven't installed yet) I do plan on doing a baseline dyno (my car is 100% stock right now) and another dyno after the intake is on.

Im more-so curious to see if these things actually make some power, but it does look gorgeous, the craftsmanship is excellent. I expect a bit more throatier sound out of the car post-install if any expectations are to be had.
for 2g's..it's not worth it just for "sound" ...go buy mikes straight pipes for $400...way more worth it then CF air boxes IMO ..plus my CF boxes use to get so hot i'd burn my hand if i touched them vs the stock boxes which stay fairly cool too the touch

Last edited by avery.whss; 02-19-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
Who Said I paid 2 Grand for an air box?

for 2g's..it's not worth it just for "sound" ...go buy mikes straight pipes for $400...way more worth it then CF air boxes IMO ..plus my CF boxes use to get so hot i'd burn my hand if i touched them vs the stock boxes which stay fairly cool too the touch

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carbonio ariboxes+Cold Air Intake= 22 WHP