RACE DAY - What Do You Take

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
RACE DAY - What Do You Take

I am 99% sure I will be attending the "1/2 mile" (really only 1600'-1800') race day at Pocono Raceway - https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-1-2-mile.html.
This will be my first event of this kind and I am curious what the experienced usually take with them for such an event.

I know to bring my car (lol), helmet, GoPro, and tools, but I am more interested to know anything else that experienced people are finding that they need while they are there, things they find themselves wishing they had.

For Example:
- What tools in particular do you find you need the most (if any)
- Do you guys bring your own air compressor
- Do you guys bring a jack and or jack stands
- Anyone changing their oil before / after the race before heading back home
- Do you guys find a need for anti-freeze at the track (not leaking anything at the moment, and levels stay normal)
- Anything else...?
- Tape / numbers for the car

Also, if you were to bring any of this stuff, I assume we will have kind of our own "pit" area where we can leave everything during the race as no one wants additional weight in their car...

Now obviously I know a lot of this depends on the condition of your car and if you think you will need anything else, but more or less looking for items that are overlooked when leaving the house that you find you end up needing.

Any input is appreciated.

Happy Modding

Members Thoughts

Non Car Related Items:
- Canopy / Tent
- Folding Chairs
- Cooler with Drinks / Food
- Mechanics Gloves
- Sun Screen
- Heavy Duty Hand Wipes / Towels
- "Big Brimmed Hat"

Car Related Items:
- Extra Oil / Enough Oil & Filter for a change post-racing
- Anti-Freeze
- Brake Pads / Fluid / Speed Bleeder
- Air Compressor / Tire Pressure Gauge
- Tools for the Oil Change including a Jack or Ramps
- Storage Bin (all lose items must be removed from the car prior to racing, down to the floor mats)
- 5'x5' Piece of AstroTurf (to lay / kneel on while working on your car)
- Painters / Masking Tape (nice to place where rubber may build up)
- Torque Wrench

Last edited by Autosport7; 02-25-2014 at 04:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Nice post. I was always curious as well. Looking forward for the answers
Old 02-25-2014, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
When I went to VIR I wish I had a pop up tent/canopy, folding chair, and a cooler full of Gatorade or other drinks. I usually have an air compressor and a nice tire pressure gauge. I also wished I had brought a bin to throw all my stuff in to keep it dry, like one of those plastic storage bins you find at target or Walmart because they didn't allow anything to be kept in the car on the track, especially floor mats. DONT FORGET TO BRING SOME EXTRA OIL!
Old 02-25-2014, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
Nice post. I was always curious as well. Looking forward for the answers
Thanks, I am as well.
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
When I went to VIR I wish I had a pop up tent/canopy, folding chair, and a cooler full of Gatorade or other drinks. I usually have an air compressor and a nice tire pressure gauge. I also wished I had brought a bin to throw all my stuff in to keep it dry, like one of those plastic storage bins you find at target or Walmart because they didn't allow anything to be kept in the car on the track, especially floor mats. DONT FORGET TO BRING SOME EXTRA OIL!
This is some good information. I am going to continually update the first post so people can get a quick glimpse of these great ideas as they roll in.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I have a trailer that has pretty much anything and everything you would need, tools, air compressor, generator, high speed cooling fans, 2 60 gallon coolers for ice to ice down between runs, jacks, jack stands, race ramps, pit bikes, fuel, fluids.

For guys driving to the track without a trailer things can be a little tougher due to cargo space. Most tracks have air and even if they don't you can find someone in the pits with air to air back up for the drive home so no need for a compressor. I would suggest an EZ-Up canopy for some shade. I would also suggest going to a carpet store and buying a cheap 5'x5' piece of astroturf. If you have to get underneath the car to work you will be glad you had it, it also helps to put under your easy up if you are pitted on asphalt to cut down on heat radiating up during the hot summer months and it folds or rolls up pretty compactly. Invest in a high quality tire pressure gauge, air pressure is very important. A tire sitting in the sun in the staging lane can increase in pressure by 5 or more psi compared to the one on the other side of the car in the shade. 5 psi can make or break a run. Mechanics gloves...a must.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Don't forget the sun screen and a large brim hat. You'll bake out there if not. Air Pressure Gauge, Box of hand wipes and a spare towel won't hurt either. Good Luck!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Wow some great ideas that I know I would have overlooked.
Man if I were to get into this on a more serious note I would need to invest in an F350 and a trailer.
I am thinking it would be really nice to have an extra front and rear full size spare, an extra battery, my entire tool set, etc...
I would hate to drive clear out here, let alone half way across, or the whole way across the U.S. and get a flat or something that would ruin the entire day!
Old 02-25-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Blown M3
Originally Posted by Autosport7
I am 99% sure I will be attending the "1/2 mile" (really only 1600'-1800') race day at Pocono Raceway - https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-1-2-mile.html.
This will be my first event of this kind and I am curious what the experienced usually take with them for such an event.

I know to bring my car (lol), helmet, GoPro, and tools, but I am more interested to know anything else that experienced people are finding that they need while they are there, things they find themselves wishing they had.

For Example:
- What tools in particular do you find you need the most (if any)
- Do you guys bring your own air compressor
- Do you guys bring a jack and or jack stands
- Anyone changing their oil before / after the race before heading back home
- Do you guys find a need for anti-freeze at the track (not leaking anything at the moment, and levels stay normal)
- Anything else...?
- Tape / numbers for the car

Also, if you were to bring any of this stuff, I assume we will have kind of our own "pit" area where we can leave everything during the race as no one wants additional weight in their car...

Now obviously I know a lot of this depends on the condition of your car and if you think you will need anything else, but more or less looking for items that are overlooked when leaving the house that you find you end up needing.

Any input is appreciated.

Happy Modding

Members Thoughts

Non Car Items:
- Canopy / Tent
- Folding Chairs
- Cooler with Drinks / Food
- Air Compressor / Tire Pressure Gauge
- Storage Bin
- 5'x5' Piece of AstroTurf (to lay / kneel on while working on your car)
- Mechanics Gloves
- Sun Screen
- Heavy Duty Hand Wipes / Towels
- "Big Brimmed Hat"

Car Items:
- Extra Oil
- Anti-Freeze

Normally you would want to bring as much as you can, depending on if your comfortable leaving it in the pit area.

For this event, we will have 30 garage spaces. These are where you will be "teched" at - the far right. the left most ones are free to occupy all day. Your equipment will be safe there. In fact, you are going to be required to remove all lose items from the car, down to floor mats.

If your traveling a decent distance, I would keep the spare tire and air compressor (if you have an OEM one that came with the car).

A jack is nice a well as tools to change tires if you are planning on doing so.

If you havent changes your oil recently, well, you should have, but normally everyone changes their oil after the event as its the most high stress the cars will see for a while, so take that into consideration.

normally a small cooler with snacks and drinks is a great idea, we will be providing lunch at this one, but if your like me and eat a lot, bring something to snack on just in case. as for drinks, we will have 3 large coolers with water and gatorade for the entire day.

painters tape is a decent idea if your concerned about rubber on the car - OR - some people are worried about warranty issues from public photos and tape up their license plates as well.

Numbers for the car are provided by us
Folding chair is a good idea, i always hate when i forget to bring one.

The great thing about this event, is that we have some big name sponsors involved, and they bring their race trailers. Any one of them is more than willing to lend a hand/tool to help you out.

Great post BTW

Hope that helps
Old 02-25-2014, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by LostMarine
Normally you would want to bring as much as you can, depending on if your comfortable leaving it in the pit area.

For this event, we will have 30 garage spaces. These are where you will be "teched" at - the far right. the left most ones are free to occupy all day. Your equipment will be safe there. In fact, you are going to be required to remove all lose items from the car, down to floor mats.

If your traveling a decent distance, I would keep the spare tire and air compressor (if you have an OEM one that came with the car).

A jack is nice a well as tools to change tires if you are planning on doing so.

If you havent changes your oil recently, well, you should have, but normally everyone changes their oil after the event as its the most high stress the cars will see for a while, so take that into consideration.

normally a small cooler with snacks and drinks is a great idea, we will be providing lunch at this one, but if your like me and eat a lot, bring something to snack on just in case. as for drinks, we will have 3 large coolers with water and gatorade for the entire day.

painters tape is a decent idea if your concerned about rubber on the car - OR - some people are worried about warranty issues from public photos and tape up their license plates as well.

Numbers for the car are provided by us
Folding chair is a good idea, i always hate when i forget to bring one.

The great thing about this event, is that we have some big name sponsors involved, and they bring their race trailers. Any one of them is more than willing to lend a hand/tool to help you out.

Great post BTW

Hope that helps
Thanks for posting up Lost Marine, this was hugely insightful.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Masking tape is yesterdays news....Buy a can of 3M Defender 9000 spray on clear bra for $25, spray it behind your wheels of rear quarters to make burnout rubber a snap to clean up. At the end of the event it simply peels off. Masking tape does the same thing but there is nothing I hate more than seeing blue painters tape on a $100k car, 3M defender is the way to go IMO and what most guys are using these days on high dollar cars at airstrip events.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
So far no one has mentioned a torque wrench. While I have never done any drag racing, if you're going to track the car you should check your lug nuts before you venture out (and of course if you're bringing a set of track wheels/tires). I have also been known to bring brake pads, brake fluid and a speed bleeder just in case.

Some sunblock and a hat might also be useful.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
So far no one has mentioned a torque wrench. While I have never done any drag racing, if you're going to track the car you should check your lug nuts before you venture out (and of course if you're bringing a set of track wheels/tires). I have also been known to bring brake pads, brake fluid and a speed bleeder just in case.

Some sunblock and a hat might also be useful.
Oh yeah torque wrench is certainly a good one!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
'18 GLE63S AMG /'19 PORSCHE TURBO S / '09 CORVETTE ZR1 /'14 LEXUS RX350/'16 RAV4 Ltd
Don't forget the fix all tool...duct tape and spare spark plugs
Old 02-25-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 C63S AMG
I would add brake fluid to the list and study up on the different flags that they use at the track...
Old 02-25-2014, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
How many runs are we expecting?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Do they carry unleaded race fuel?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 PM

Blown M3
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
How many runs are we expecting?
as many as you like. realistically, expect 40-50, as long as no mishaps - which we have yet to see at a roll-on event.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:16 PM

Blown M3
Do they carry unleaded race fuel?
they do, ill have to check back with exactly what grades. We do know there will not be E85 on site, but 2 stations nearby carry it
Old 02-25-2014, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn thats alot of runs. Hope to get some wins.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:31 PM

Blown M3
Damn thats alot of runs. Hope to get some wins.
youll beat up on plenty of cars.. however, it might be time to make a few upgrades and let them feel the pain
Old 02-25-2014, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was thinking of headers but when I ran a FBO NA C63 on 93 oct. First run was dead even. Second run he got me by a car or so. I was expecting 2 or more cars. Plus the noise level is obnoxious. Weistec blower is nice.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
All signed up and ready to go!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:23 PM
b16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
Bring LOTS OF DRINKING WATER!
Old 03-21-2014, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by b16
Bring LOTS OF DRINKING WATER!
Luckily at the Pocono Raceway event they will be providing drinks and food throughout the day. Otherwise I can imagine this would be a big one.