C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

tyre pressure/ handling question with Dunlop star spec Z1and Z2

Old 03-03-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG 2009
tyre pressure/ handling question with Dunlop star spec Z1and Z2

I have been very happy with this setup , Dunlop direzza star spec Z1 245/40R18 front and 265/35R18 rears. with 40PSI f+r good balance , very good steering feel and response just very slightly off compared to OEM which is a size smaller but with much more grip. Always very planted and very confidence inspiring , high speed long freeway corners, emergency lane changes, induced rear slides always very controllable .
Rears off course had to be replaced and decided with the Z2 since the Z1's are no longer available. Interestingly with the same pressure set at 40PSI all 4's when driving 60mls/hr and touching the steering wheel to change lanes for example, it feels as if there is a lag for the lear end to catch up. I don't feel that enormous well planted and confidence inspiring feeling with the current set up. Does any one have any experience with this, suggestions? Do I need to up the pressure or down, front and/or rear?
Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

E
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
sometimes mixing tires will do that, since they are different compounds (I assume, not familiar with these particular tires) with different characteristics. try lowering the rears, that should make more grip.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG 2009
It should be the same compound as the Z2 while not the exact same tire it is the successor of the Z1 as the Z1 was discontinued. But indeed one could argue it is not exactly the same tire and it is probably changed and improved in some areas.