C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

AMG Academy - Palm Beach? Advanced?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 08:30 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
AMG Academy - Palm Beach? Advanced?

Has anyone driven on Palm Beach International Raceway?

Anyone going in May... Advanced?

I'm itching to do the Advanced class, but us Northeast folk need to fly somewhere to do it.

Is it as good to do anywhere or is it worth ponying up the extra cash and time to fly to Laguna Seca? (..or just save that for the Pro class)
Old 03-11-2014, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
If you are considering, I would good a good look at COTA, in Austin, TX. I just happen to live in Austin. I have heard from the big F1 manufacturers and drivers alike nothing but immense praises for the track design and execution.

Here is another factor to think about:

For the same dollar you would spend on the AMG Academy for another course, if you go to the course at COTA, you get to be on a track that is almost twice as long and with more turns. The length alone is intriguing at almost 3.5 miles. The kicker is that it's brand new and state of the art. I was very ready to go to LSR, but when they added COTA I had to jump at the chance to drive on the course. It's not about saving money to go to my backyard track, I was ready to spend some time in Salinas, CA. I have been there, but hearing the F1 drivers, sponsors, and manufacturers who have been on the course sing it's praises!! Seems like a no-brainer.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
I'll be there for the Basic and I'm bringing my Dad along. He thinks he is just going as my guest, but I actually signed him up for the Basic with me for a sort of 60th birthday present. I think they will send us both a drivers packet before the actual day, so he will find out that way instead of at the track. But, I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

I would like to hit up Laguna Seca one day, but it will have to be another time for me. COTA looks awesome, too. I might try it next time.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by PkB2014
I'll be there for the Basic and I'm bringing my Dad along. He thinks he is just going as my guest, but I actually signed him up for the Basic with me for a sort of 60th birthday present. I think they will send us both a drivers packet before the actual day, so he will find out that way instead of at the track. But, I'm looking forward to it nonetheless.

I would like to hit up Laguna Seca one day, but it will have to be another time for me. COTA looks awesome, too. I might try it next time.
Cota is sold out for the year already...

As for you dad... Nice move, but it is a really tiring day. I hope he is in shape and don't hesitate for him to take Dramamine... He'll have 50 full on braking events by the end of the day. See my Tips on AMG Academy thread... But there are some spoilers.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:52 AM

2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
Originally Posted by Dogtag114
Cota is sold out for the year already...

As for you dad... Nice move, but it is a really tiring day. I hope he is in shape and don't hesitate for him to take Dramamine... He'll have 50 full on braking events by the end of the day. See my Tips on AMG Academy thread... But there are some spoilers.
Thanks. I had read that thread before, but I'll show it to my dad once he knows he will be driving. I was thinking about COTA for next year. I'd love to get the wife out there for one of these events. I figure that if I can get her hooked, then future purchases will be that much easier.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:31 PM

2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 DUCATI 1198S
I'm considering attending the Advanced Course in May. I'd love to go to COTA, but the dates don't match up with when I'll be in America, and it's sold out for the year anyway. So I figure I'll do the Advance Course at Palm Beach, then sign up for the Pro Course at COTA for next year.