C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Navigation Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Iridium Silver C63
Navigation Update

I just shipped my (US spec) 2009 C63 to Germany. I will need to update the navigation map data to the Europe version. Is this a DYI job where I can just purchase the DVD and install it myself or is this strictly a dealer service thing, i.e does the car need to be hooked up to some fancy computer/machine only MB has? Any of the Euro owners here know what part number and/or version of the software I would need and where to buy it besides the dealer? How do I know if the COMAND software need to be updated before the new map data is installed (read on the German MB website that it might). My stateside dealer wanted over $200 to update my maps with the latest version for North America. I can only imagine what the local German dealer is gonna want.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
German dealer will probably want about 200 euro.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:51 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
I guess our NTG4 system can accept map updates up to the 2011 version without requiring a COMAND firmware update. Can anyone validate this? if so, all I really need is a 2011 or earlier purple colored Europe map DVD. At this point I will take outdated Europe maps over current North America maps. These 2011 DVDs can easily be found on German Ebay for under $50 which definitely beats the $200+ the local German 'Autohaus' is gonna want to ask for 2014 maps plus a COMAND firmware update (don't know if they'll charge for that). So, can any of you confirm that 2011 maps don't require a firmware update? I could care less about the new bells and whistles that come with the new firmware, i.e birdseye view,etc. I just need something to get me from point A to B and not get me too lost, lol.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
I have updated my navi to the 2012 maps and didn't require a comand firmware update.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:02 AM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
Alright, so before I went through and bought a map update DVD off german Ebay to do the update myself, I stopped by the local MB dealer here in Ansbach, Germany to get an estimate for them to do the update and let them incur any risk of any issues with the firmware not accepting the new maps and causing the COMAND to become a paperweight. He looked up the 2014 DVD and quoted me $160 Euro, so a little over $200, with the 19% German tax included, which I can recoup so it came out to $175 +/- the exchange rate. I asked if that priced included them installing any required firmware updates and that's where things went south. He said he had to look up whether firmware update was required but he wasn't able to pull up anything on his system because it is an American spec car. He called around several other MB dealers and no one had an answer so he called MB directly. After a long German conversation that included lots of furrowed eyebrows and apparently funny German expressions (probably making fun of the stupid American sitting in front of him, lol), the guy on the other end at MB concluded that they could NOT install the European map database on an American spec car. The local service tech tried to raise the BS flag with the corporate dude but apparently he was standing by his assertion. Soooo, question: Are there any members here who have had an American spec C63 with Euro maps, such as maybe someone in the who purchased and drove the vehicle in Germany before shipping it to the U.S.? The local service tech is willing to try it but he didn't sound to confident his shop would stand behind any errors and/or ruining of the COMAND system if it didn't work so I'm hesitant. Really don't feel like having to buy a whole new COMAND system for a car I'm gonna be selling as soon as the new W205 C63 comes out but I also really need Euro maps.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'16 CLS 63 S
I have a '14 US Spec car with Euromaps. Picked it up from Stuttgart and have been told that the dealership will be able to install US maps when I return to the States. Not sure if they did or not, but they may have moved away from the discs when they got away from the pop up navigation system.

But if you get the W205 you'll be able to get Euro maps on the US Spec. PM me where you'll be at exactly here in Germany. We're building a Mercedes car club around Kaiserslautern area.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:04 AM

2010 P31 Obsidian; 1990 ZX11
I have a 2010 C63, US Spec. I purchased the Euro map DVDs and uploaded the map data myself. About 200 Euro is what I paid in 2010. You can do the upload by accessing the Engineering Mode (EM) on your Comand module (push in sequence: End call + # + 1 ), but you will have to change the Region to ECE 2 or PAL to read the Euro DVD map discs. Never, never hit the "update" option - this will hang your system and you will be screwed. This will require you to take the car to your dealer for reboot and they will know you have been playing in EM.

Other useful EM stuff here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ring-menu.html. Search the Forum for "Eng Mode" if looking for more.

Since your Comand module is originally a US Spec, your Comand module in EM will allow you a limited number of times to select between PAL and NTSC (Region 1). Obviously, this will also affect what type of DVDs you are able to watch after you've uploaded the Euro Maps. I believe you can switch back to NTSC through EM, but this reduces your chances to switch back and forth, ultimately being locked in the last switch. Not sure which one that would be for a US Spec car. Total number of switches allowed is either four or five.

Uploading the Euro DVDs should take about 90 minutes, + or -. You will also have to do this while the car is running and preferably outside. When loading from EM, on the screen you will see a progressive update with 98% of the data coming from the first disc. Load the second disc when prompted and it will pop out on its own when finished. Shut the car down as normal and when restarting, the new Euro map data should automatically load.

I'm surprised your local Tech was willing to do the upload, as the corporate line is to say don't load the Euro maps. Good way to sell new Comand modules, if an owner listens (circa $4K). I'm going on four years now with the Euro maps and haven't had a single noticeable malfunction with my Comand module. Firmware should be a non-issue.

If you get a chance, can you verify and provide the part number for the 2014 maps? It should read as A 204 xxx xxx xx xx. It could be useful information.

Contact me through PM if needed. I think I have some progressive screen shots I may be able to provide later. GL.

EC
Old 04-04-2014, 01:41 PM

2009 Iridium Silver C63
Hey guys, thanks for all the useful tips and sharing your experience in updating the Navi maps. I just picked up my car at the Schweinfurt vehicle processing center. To my disgust, it has significant damage from shipping so the Navi update is the least of my worries right now. It has a huge 3-inch gouge/dent on the hood (looks like a huge pipe was dropped on it). The driver seat leather is scratched (like if someone with a tool in their back pocket sat in the seat). I went 5 years without a single door ding, and now I got two courtesy of the transport company. The entire undersides of the front AND rear bumpers and side skirts are scratched/gouged. They made me a ridiculous offer of $940 for the damage which I laughed at and asked if they were serious (sadly, they were). I obviously declined the on-the-spot settlement offer and will file a claim through my military claims office. I took it in to the same dealer I've been trying to get to update my Navi and they came up with 4.5K Euro estimate to repair the damage. Hopefully I can force the transport contractor to pay up in full. If it pans out and now that I'm gonna spend some serious cash at their place, maybe that will provide them some extra motivation to research the Navi update issue instead of giving me some BS excuse as to why it can't be done when there's at least 3 other U.S. Spec C's driving around here with functional Euro maps.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:36 PM

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E 300 (W213); 2008 ML 320 CDI W164)
http://www.navigps.lt/store/bin/fckeditor/MB.pdf

Originally Posted by EROD
Hey guys, thanks for all the useful tips and sharing your experience in updating the Navi maps. I just picked up my car at the Schweinfurt vehicle processing center. To my disgust, it has significant damage from shipping so the Navi update is the least of my worries right now. It has a huge 3-inch gouge/dent on the hood (looks like a huge pipe was dropped on it). The driver seat leather is scratched (like if someone with a tool in their back pocket sat in the seat). I went 5 years without a single door ding, and now I got two courtesy of the transport company. The entire undersides of the front AND rear bumpers and side skirts are scratched/gouged. They made me a ridiculous offer of $940 for the damage which I laughed at and asked if they were serious (sadly, they were). I obviously declined the on-the-spot settlement offer and will file a claim through my military claims office. I took it in to the same dealer I've been trying to get to update my Navi and they came up with 4.5K Euro estimate to repair the damage. Hopefully I can force the transport contractor to pay up in full. If it pans out and now that I'm gonna spend some serious cash at their place, maybe that will provide them some extra motivation to research the Navi update issue instead of giving me some BS excuse as to why it can't be done when there's at least 3 other U.S. Spec C's driving around here with functional Euro maps.
EROD - Have a look at this link http://www.navigps.lt/store/bin/fckeditor/MB.pdf